• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW Philly

128 posts in this topic

I say before a con, just peruse the internet looking for sketches of artists you are considering. And on this chatroom, you can pm people for the prices they paid on sketch covers, etc.

I agree that publicly blasting an artist probably isn't ideal. Unless they somehow really really effed you.

I say before a con, just peruse the internet looking for sketches of artists you are considering. And on this chatroom, you can pm people for the prices they paid on sketch covers, etc.

I agree that publicly blasting an artist probably isn't ideal. Unless they somehow really really effed you.

+1 bigtime. Do some research before spending your money people.

I use Mike Deodato as my example. I really like his professional work; especially his covers. However, most of the con sketches I've seen from him have left something to be desired, so a few years ago when I had the chance to get something from him, I passed. However, Rich Henn was able to score a VERY cool sketch for me from him at Philly recently, so I'm thrilled.

I see your first point, Glenn. Perhaps calling it an "overpriced turd" obliterated any chance of pure objectivity and no artist is going to create something that everyone likes every time. On the other hand, having all the information handy helps to save a lot of time and money at cons.

Given that, I formally retract my +1.

I was thinking Deodato as well. I love the Ares I have from him however it was less detailed than I thought it would be.

well i'm willing to out my sketch but in PM's.........and not all can be winners but i'm between 90-100 sketches and have only been dissapointed in about 5 of them so personaly i have a hell of a % of like/decent vs not liked

+1 bigtime. Do some research before spending your money people.

Also, many artists will do the piece at home prior to the show (and are most willing especially after they have met you). Unfortunately, some will not - but you can still communicate with them prior to make sure you are getting exactly what you want.

Even the A-list talent will ask for references and come back with MANY questions, if needed, to get the piece right. At the end of the day, this book will be displayed and I think they want to keep their reputation.

I understand a lackluster sketch when someone goes up to them asking for "a hulk" and then bargaining with them on the price. In NO way am I saying anyone that has posted in this thread does that.

Here's my rant point - why are we talking about this publically? We all know that artists frequent these boards, even if not members. Do you really think that they will put in your desired extra effort after reading this? Or, possibly, just a thought - numerous comments and complaining of the like has lead MANY to reject the notion to do a blank cover sketch to be CGC'd. If you don't like your sketch, tell them up front, or take it as a loss. Post a pick here and leave it for everyone to see it (we will all know and feel your pain without the public display). Just a thought.

This is not directed at you, Adam, as your point was made respectfully.

sry but i do that when ever i plan on getting a sketch from a con

and yes it can weed out alot of artist to get.......but then you get a sketch from someone and yours just happens to be the bad one of the day

saying you got a sketch your unhappy with is different then bashing the artist and going on a rant about it

no one has bashed anyone, no names were given and the others who gave a name are just voiceing their opinions on why they won't get a sketch from said person as an example