• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the best yet to come?

38 posts in this topic

Dolgoff, sorry. Was thinking of the Koch-Dolgoff-Koch thing. Actually, too much Diet Vanilla Coke in my brain.

Dolgoff might have lots of them. He's got boxes of books that have been unopened for 20 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Sulipa does too - his warehouse is equally mammoth.

Wake's opponents to date:

Yale (5-5)

Temple (3-8)

Wisconsin (10-2)

Southern Methodist (5-6)

South Carolina State (4-7)

St. John's (7-3)

North Carolina A&T (0-8)

Bethune-Cookman (1-7)

Richmond (7-5)

Elon (4-7)

Bunch of creampuffs, but Temple, Wisconsin, St. John's and Richmond are NCAA teams (watch out for Temple! now). WFU-Duke are the last unbeaten teams, so that makes it the "When Titans Clash" game

Murph the double-edged sword with comics is that some of them like Hulk 181 appreciate some ridiculous amount like 8000% over 25 years. Name any other investment over 25 years where you could turn a quarter into two-thousand dollars. When you're talking that kind of money, people take note of that specifically rich people take note, and definitely big dealers take note.

So its not mere speculation that some wiser than me trend-watchers bought up Hulk 181's, I can promise that the number of Hulk 181's we see out there now is just the tip of the iceberg to how many there are actually out there.

Gary has got to be one of the toughest graders out there. I used to order treasury lots and comic books from him years ago which were advertised VG/FN and on average, they were a full grade better (his prices are no longer the bargain basement they used to be). I think he is a lot harsher on his books due to the below average storage conditions the books have been subjected to.

I deal with Gary Dolgoff quite regularly and would say that while his prices are definitely not a bargain, they are always fair and his books are seriously undergraded. His F/VF would be a very tough VF+ or a solid VF/NM, even a NM-.

His policy freaked me out a bit - you give him your credit card and he bills you later (ie when he finds stuff) but he does have almost everything . . .

DAM

"Join me in my quest to put Iron Fist #14 back in the Dollar Bins where it belongs!!!! "

Hey chrisco, thats a bit of a harsh sig. You may not like Sabretooth as a character, but the Claremont/ Byrne Iron Fist run was one of the best the 70's had to offer! I don't think it deserves to be in the bargain bins. grin.gif

"So what does he call NM then?"

You won't come across 'NM' very often in his catalogues. He uses ranges such as VG/F, F/VF and VF/NM. If I remember correctly, he'll use it on modern items, but even then it's sparse. Joseph Koch uses the same ranges, but his grading is more lax/inconsistent.

Blowout -

I like the Iron Fist title, always did. But, you are dead on in my loathing of Sabretooth. 2nd Rate Villain, Wolverine clone, etc....

He sucks! Maybe my sig line should read...."join me in my quest to out Sabretooth as the sorry character that he is!!!!"

In any case, here's a new one for you......

Chris

Yes, I like Venom. And while I understand your point about him being as much a Spidey clone as Sabretooth is a Wolvie clone, I think there are some obvious differences that make Venom a much better character.

First off, Venom's origin is much better than Sabretooth's (is he Wolvie's father? Relative? Weapon X pal? Who know? Who cares?). The symbiote was rejected by Spidey and sought out another who had a grudge w/ Spidey/Peter. Only Eddie Brock could be Venom.

Second, Sabretooth is just a mindless thug. No substance. Venom had character, he really only had it in for Spidey and didn't want others hurt in the process, but would use them to get to Peter.

Sabretooth wants to fight Wolvie? No problem, just find him and fight him. Venom was much more deliberate and calculating in his attacks on Spidey. First, he scared MJ, then he makes nice w/ Aunt May. Much more psychological torture going on w/ Venom.

I can't think of any others right now, but I'll post again when I can think of some more. A long time ago, FF made a post about Venom's character. I'll try and find it. Very good.

Chris

Agreed...I used to buy from Gary Dolgoff quite a bit (the "package" deals) when I collected seriously in the late 80's-early 90's. His books and "packages" are always first rate and seriously undergraded.

For example, I got a Superman 200 (Vol.1) from him with a F/VF sticker on it that I swear is a solid NM to *maybe* NM- if you were super tough. I wondered aloud "Does he look at these with a microscope?". I literally could see a tiny smidge of spine wear, and that's it. Nice corners, perfect white back cover and barely off-white pages.