• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IT SOLD!!! OMG

30 posts in this topic

deathlok:

I think the overall synopsis of what the film could be is good.

The part about how Tony would start drinking is not. Stark should be shown to be a driven, obsessed man who also has a reckless playboy side. His drinking should be a slow descent from the beginning of the movie til the conflict resolution (both physical and mental). Something as simple as dulling the pain of his injuries is too simple. That's what they have pain killers for.

It's more likely Stark would turn to drinking as a way to deal with business pressures, mask his own psychological depression, and also indicate that while he has everything, there's a particular emptiness to his life. Hence, Iron Man is both an outlet for him because of his sense of obligation, but also his thirst for living on the edge and giving himself meaning.

A few years ago, when I was looking for "ending points" for the different titles in my collection (ie, which range of issues I would keep in my collection and which I would jettison), Iron Man was easy. Cutoff point = Tony's move to California/beginning of atrocious Luke McDonnell art. The first alcohol storyline when Layton was still on the title wasn't bad.

deathlok:

I think the overall synopsis of what the film could be is good.

The part about how Tony would start drinking is not. Stark should be shown to be a driven, obsessed man who also has a reckless playboy side. His drinking should be a slow descent from the beginning of the movie til the conflict resolution (both physical and mental). Something as simple as dulling the pain of his injuries is too simple. That's what they have pain killers for.

It's more likely Stark would turn to drinking as a way to deal with business pressures, mask his own psychological depression, and also indicate that while he has everything, there's a particular emptiness to his life. Hence, Iron Man is both an outlet for him because of his sense of obligation, but also his thirst for living on the edge and giving himself meaning.

good point, but you only have a couple hours to tell a story. There isn't time to develop a long history of alcoholism. I wasn't implying that when he was injured he all of sudden turns to the bottle and doesn't look back. In the beginning he could be shown at swanky parties with hot models vying for his attention. He could be shown having to much to drink and have to be carried home. There could be people whispering as he is leaving about how much he drinks too much. This would briefly give insight into the history of his addition, the injuries would only provide the catalyst for his descent.