• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

id also like to add .... im not sure what else you guys do as far as hobbies go, but at less then $3 a book, how much is there really to "loose" when picking up multiple copies of this (or any, really) book?

Do it a few hundred times a year and see how it feels.

That's one of the reasons I don't like multiple prints (as we previously discussed).

There's no absolute answer to the question of weather you should sell or hold. There are too many individual variables to make a broad statement.

I'm into my 25 midtown previews copies for like a buck fifty each.

I don't need to sell any of them to recoup my initial 'investment'. I spent more on dinner last night. Id rather hold them until the book is on issue 10. Maybe they're worth $35 each by then or maybe they're worth $1 each, but my downside is about a fifty cent a copy loss vs an upside of what, $600? Not worth my time to sell now.

Of course if this was 10 years ago and my financial situation was different I would have moved them for a quick profit 2 weeks ago.

Again, not something that can be repeated. Some of the advice in this thread and on the boards in general simply can't be repeated. Buying any amount of revival as a one off and rolling the dice no biggie. Repeating the pattern described leads to nothing but a pile of long boxes and a big dent in the wallet.

It's not the safe way or the easy way. So many talk of buying low and selling high. That does not mean buy at the lowest possible and hold out hope it hits the highest ever seen. It also doesn't mean you can't buy low, sell high repeatedly at various investment points. If you paid cover for the comic and got it graded immediately then you bought low. If you choose to hold then you are refusing to sell high.

id also like to add .... im not sure what else you guys do as far as hobbies go, but at less then $3 a book, how much is there really to "loose" when picking up multiple copies of this (or any, really) book?

Do it a few hundred times a year and see how it feels.

That's one of the reasons I don't like multiple prints (as we previously discussed).

It was more a comment about various titles than multiple prints.

only thing you'll really lose is your potential gains on your original investment. I normally like leaving money on the table initially and gambling on whether it will get really hot.

the safe bet is Branget's way, take the money now while it's there because it may not be there later. My way has more potential rewards but higher risk.

to each his own, what works for one won't work for another.

If you extrapolate this theory over just a few years the average collector would have a bunch of kindling.

I'm going to fly in the face of reason and say the best is yet to come. Do I have proof? Nope, just got a feeling. I picked up walking dead and chew because I like the premise, characters and story. Not because of the buzz about them. Hell at the time I had no idea they were as big as they were And so far I have the same feeling about revival.

Could I be horribly wrong, sure. But my gut and taste in comics hasn't failed me yet. And really for me at the end of the day for me comics are for me to enjoy and collect. I'm not a flipper and 95% of what I buy goes into my collection to stay. Hell this is the first time I bought more than 2 copies of a comic. And I only have 5 so even if I wrong heck no biggie. Besides I have friends can give copies to because I want them to enjoy it to and have discussions with.

But that's some small guy's two cents. I'm in it for the long haul because I like the series, if it hits big then I might have a copy or two to sell as just gravy.

:applause:

There's no absolute answer to the question of weather you should sell or hold. There are too many individual variables to make a broad statement.

I don't need to sell any of them to recoup my initial 'investment'. I spent more on dinner last night. Id rather hold them until the book is on issue 10. Maybe they're worth $35 each by then or maybe they're worth $1 each, but my downside is about a fifty cent a copy loss vs an upside of what, $600? Not worth my time to sell now.

Of course if this was 10 years ago and my financial situation was different I would have moved them for a quick profit 2 weeks ago.

Again, not something that can be repeated. Some of the advice in this thread and on the boards in general simply can't be repeated. Buying any amount of revival as a one off and rolling the dice no biggie. Repeating the pattern described leads to nothing but a pile of long boxes and a big dent in the wallet.

It's not the safe way or the easy way. So many talk of buying low and selling high. That does not mean buy at the lowest possible and hold out hope it hits the highest ever seen. It also doesn't mean you can't buy low, sell high repeatedly at various investment points. If you paid cover for the comic and got it graded immediately then you bought low. If you choose to hold then you are refusing to sell high.

This makes perfect sense... arguing acceptable loss is like saying it doesn't matter if I am a bad poker player because I might be lucky with my hole cards and flops, and losing 30 bucks a month doesn't really matter to me. statistics show the sharks will always come out on top over time.

I'm not saying that poker or comic speculation are perfect sciences but then neither are both of you guys... but I can see a parallel.

What you guys need is a fantasy comic speculation league. Like fantasy football but you get say $175 to spend on comics for an alotted amount of time (say 6 months). Data from the ebay market watch is collected each week based on the titles bought giving you a buy / sell price. Cover price is only available for maybe the first week of release. Flat rate to CGC. No SS. Only allow new titles. If your title does not appear in the data after 4 weeks loses half its value but you could sit on it until it does.

It's porbably a little too complex to run, a huge time suck and there may not be many takers.

...were that not the case it would make for an interesting charity auction idea for the right fee Branget :P

It's not the safe way or the easy way. So many talk of buying low and selling high. That does not mean buy at the lowest possible and hold out hope it hits the highest ever seen. Itlso doesn't mean you can't buy low, sell high repeatedly at various investment points. If you paid cover for the comic and got it graded immediately then you bought low. If you choose to hold then you are refusing to sell high.

Clearly If you pre order the hell out of every #1 that comes out you're going to get burned. I'm posting specifically about the Revival #1s I'm happy to keep holding, rather than what I may or may not pre-order next month. I don't make a habit of losing money (although I will admit to having a few dozen American Vampire #1s in my longbox).

I think that Revival is a better title than most to spend a few dollars on the first few books, have a few extra issues to sell early if you want to cover, and then see if it pans out on down the way for whatever you have left.

I for one, did not preview order as many #1s as I should have, but if the story continues to flow, I think that it will be a slow burner among comic book collectors, and I think that we'll see some "cups with handles", so I even bought a couple over cover. ( oh no)

I still have trouble deciding about buying 2nd ( or beyond ) prints of anything. Back in the 80s/90s when I used to collect a lot, most things after the first print were generally regarded as worthless, but it was a different market back then. Now, supply is more tightly controlled. I still always think "meh, second print, probably wasting my money." , which proves to be the wrong train of thought out there in modern collector-land more often than I would expect these days. I still almost never buy them.

I don't trust myself enough to send modern stuff off to get graded, I figure I'll be in that boat with Rosen, and there goes however much that cost me to figure out. =)

It's not the safe way or the easy way. So many talk of buying low and selling high. That does not mean buy at the lowest possible and hold out hope it hits the highest ever seen. Itlso doesn't mean you can't buy low, sell high repeatedly at various investment points. If you paid cover for the comic and got it graded immediately then you bought low. If you choose to hold then you are refusing to sell high.

Clearly If you pre order the hell out of every #1 that comes out you're going to get burned. I'm posting specifically about the Revival #1s I'm happy to keep holding, rather than what I may or may not pre-order next month. I don't make a habit of losing money (although I will admit to having a few dozen American Vampire #1s in my longbox).

i gather up a 'few' of each (1 or 2, no marvel or dc except a couple titles), if it's a good read i get more (if the previews are good i'll preorder some instead of buying them at my LCS), if it sucks (hell yeah, epic kill, america's got powers, etc.) i cut loose and don't get any more.

No amount of hype is going to help a crappy comic.

I still have quite a few prophet 21 #1s, but, i like that comic, so not really worried about it. Hell Yeah was a major disappointment, i wish i didn't have the copies i do have of that one. I got sucked in after the 1st issue which i thought was pretty good, but issue #2 was horrid.

Edited by krighton

If you buy multiple copies of every single book that comes out it will become fairly expensive for you.

What's the print run on Revival #1 BTW? I'm guessing it wouldn't be too small.

If you buy multiple copies of every single book that comes out it will become fairly expensive for you.

What's the print run on Revival #1 BTW? I'm guessing it wouldn't be too small.

18k Cover A

1800 Cover B

1000 Awesome/Third Eye cover

500 CBLDF cover

Not sure it was mentioned, but Issue #2 has sold out.

i just noticed that Mike Norton is going to be at Cinci Comicon...no Seeley though.

Edited by krighton