• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,376 posts in this topic

I've overpaid for both OA and high grade books. My Y and Chew collections ain't cheap.

That being said there is a correlation between the price of a 9.8, a 9.9 and a 10.0 in the vast majority of cases. As with anything in life we gawk at the outliers. This is not exclusive to comics or collecting. It is always the highs and lows that get the most attention, analysis and criticism.

I've overpaid for both OA and high grade books. My Y and Chew collections ain't cheap.

That being said there is a correlation between the price of a 9.8, a 9.9 and a 10.0 in the vast majority of cases. As with anything in life we gawk at the outliers. This is not exclusive to comics or collecting. It is always the highs and lows that get the most attention, analysis and criticism.

What's the correlation?

For those who are speculating and/or investing in the long-term viability of this title...what will do better in the long run? 100 9.8s or one 10.0?

As far as these ultra-high grade slabs go, the 9.8 looks to be the best "value" to me, regardless of how "rare" 9.9s or 10.0s are. But I'm not caught up in the competition of the Registry and I admit my point of view on all this may be different if I was.

Until the recent spike it was 3-5x the price of a 9.8 and the 10.0 was 2-3x the 9.9. So the extreme in this case would be 15x $80 or $1,200. This has become a little more extreme recently without this sale. Part of this sale was setting the bar at $900 for a 9.9.

Usual disclaimer: To each their own, my opinion only, etc.

Nice post, I will try to have dialogue with you and see if I dont cross into disallowed territory.

Regarding the "$800" price you are talking about. Revival 9.9s sold for much less, then came the $1K Auction. It was debated regarding shilling at the time. Dead Horse

After that, obviously more 9.9s came to market looking to cash in. it was only after the $1K that the two $800ish auctions occurred.

The 2012 GPA avg for 9.9s is $356. That's everything up to and including Dec 31st, 2012. Everything above that has been in the last two months(and paid by Hulk).

As for the OA vs high grade book debate, that one also is well established. Your points are very good, and I do agree to an extent. But, at the same time, size of market does matter. The number of people willing to pay top dollar for a ultra high-grade book, is always going to be larger.

If the OA market ever has a pull back, it will be a lot harder to sell if one is forced too. In that situation, non "key" OA could suffer some bad price action, simply for a lack of buyers.

As long as someone is never "forced" to sell into an illiquid market, then the "one of a kind" argument should always hold up.

So $356 and what was the 9.8 selling for at that time?

It's the average for the three that sold. Ryan sold two of them, i believe the first two. Can't remember who sold the third. The third was in december, and was around $400-$450ish.

Then came these

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=revival+9.9+-pgx+-ready&_sop=13&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=revival+9.9+-pgx+-ready+-2&_sacat=0

all won by hulk, and the drama followed.

So SIX total 9.9 sales recorded.

The first 3 average $356.

Hulk with the next 3 average $911

and the 10 SS for $7500, also Hulk

accounts for all the above 9.8 sales of Revival, to date.

========================

For the 9.8s blue, from GPA:

Blue 9.8s

$74 for 2012

$87 for 2013

Edited by CBT

Someone had to be bidding against hulk though on the 9.9's that were on eBay so there was at least one other person out there willing to pay upwards of $900 to get the 9.9's.

yup, all three were auctions. Didnt want to spin into that too much. Just worth noting, the 800s came after the $1K, and he won all three. those are just facts

Someone had to be bidding against hulk though on the 9.9's that were on eBay so there was at least one other person out there willing to pay upwards of $900 to get the 9.9's.
logic.

Not really. Have you ever put in a bid you thought was ridiculous just to get that one comic? Ever been burned doing it? that set a price which held for 2 more auctions. Don't discount the hate bidders either. Of course this is just theory but logic dictates a new buyer entered the market and prices doubled. Is the market that fragile?

Someone paid $7500 for a Gem Mint 10 Revival #1 SS double signed, and it basically went exactly the way the $12,500 sale of 9.9 NM 98 went - People talking about the investment side, the buyer stating that he has plenty of bread and it was something he wanted. In this case, the Seller pitched his 2c in as well, which I think eventually happened with the NM, as well.

In my opinion, everyone should be able to give their opinion on all aspects of the deal. As long as there are no insults or ad hominem attacks, it really should all be fair game.

In case anyone wonders, I think it is cuckoo for cocoa puffs to pay that price for that book, but both the buyer and seller seem really happy. So it has brought joy and happiness in the world, it can't be all bad, can it?