• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

i reizely people werent necessarily speaking to me, I was speaking more generally about the boards.

I do agree with the "how" it is said, and with treating others with respect, etc. But, at the same time, I also remember all the stuff hulk was spewing when he/she arrived and its hard to feel sorry for him/her.

State your opinion once is enough for us to know your stand on the purchase but repeatedly ridicule and question his purchase is rude, imo. Or is that a type of harassment? Am i think that it is ridiculous price for such book? You bet, i wouldn't pay half the asking price for the 9.9 but that is his choice, none of our business.

I stated an opinion and the remainder were responses. Since when is it rude to respond with a differing opinion?

It's amazing to me that a dozen people can say "Great deal" but one differing opinion and people get their panties in a wad.

He paid what it took for the book. Period.

He paid way too much in my opinion.

It is a message board full of opinions.

State your opinion once is enough for us to know your stand on the purchase but repeatedly ridicule and question his purchase is rude, imo. Or is that a type of harassment? Am i think that it is ridiculous price for such book? You bet, i wouldn't pay half the asking price for the 9.9 but that is his choice, none of our business.

I stated an opinion and the remainder were responses. Since when is it rude to respond with a differing opinion?

The sinking ship meme ventures into the realm of ridicule, Jeff. 2c

For sure. I reposted as it was posted before and made me laugh.

I have no idea how to even create a meme yet. lol

Is it me-me or may-may?

And there is nothing wrong with making fun of something I see as funny.

Edited by Branget

As jaw-dropping as this sale was, the real entertainment was watching a master like Court orchestrate the whole deal. From locking in Hulk44 on the 9.9, to revealing the 10, to the subtle (well, not really:P) references to the superiority of the 10...an expert baiting of the hook. An education, on many levels. You are the best at what you do, Court!

Kudos to Hulk44 for putting his money where his mouth is. You backed it up. My only thought on this, from the collector side, is what if you had rejected the $7500 asking price? What are the seller's options at that point? Either keep it or try to find another buyer. Is there another buyer at $7500? Based on the 9.9 auctions, we see that that there are two people willing to spend in the $800-900 range. If auctioned, what would a 10 reasonably go for? I have a hard time believing it would get to $7500. My guess is $2-3K.

It will be interesting to see how the 9.9s sell. Let's see how deep the market is when the top buyer is no longer in the equation.

Exactly

And for me at 1st I thought it was dirty pool but when I saw that the 9.9 sale was cancelled and the down payment forwarded to the 10.0 I changed my mind.

For the record, I didn't even know about Hulk44's affinity for Revival, and I wasn't "targeting" a specific buyer. I didn't even immediately offer either book for public sale. I posted the 9.9 in this thread, and Hulk44 contacted me asking if it was for sale. And...anyone that says they would sell the 10.0 or make the 10.0 public knowledge before trying to move the 9.9 is lying to themselves (and to us). The only smart move is to try to sell the 9.9 when it is still widely accepted that the 9.9 is the highest graded copy. As soon as the first 10.0 surfaces then that selling point is out the window.

And yes, I released Hulk44 from the purchase of the 9.9 when we agreed to terms on the 10.0.

Edited by jjeanius

I was in a similar situation and the seller did not release me from prior sales.

I bought 9.9 then 9.9 SS and then 10.0. I turned down the 10.0 SS which would have been the end of the upsale. lol

For the record, I didn't even know about Hulk44's affinity for Revival, and I wasn't "targeting" a specific buyer. But...anyone that says they would sell the 10.0 or make the 10.0 public knowledge before trying to move the 9.9 is lying to themselves (and to us). The only smart move is to try to sell the 9.9 when it is still widely accepted that the 9.9 is the highest graded copy. As soon as the first 10.0 surfaces then that selling point is out the window.

And yes, I released Hulk44 from the purchase of the 9.9 when we agreed to terms on the 10.0.

For the record, I'm not suggesting you did anything nefarious. You are simply a sharp player. You have proven that time and time again. The best on these boards...I ain't sitting across from you at the poker table, that's for sure!

My advice for future Hulk44s (and feel free to take it or leave it): Know whom you're dealing with. In Court's case, he's a seller, first and foremost. Anything he has, it's just a matter of "when" and "how much". The 10.0 was meant to be sold, no doubt about it. The only question is "how much?" He has nothing to lose by asking for $7500. You, however, have a lot to lose by spending $7500. So your next thought should be "who is my competition and what is he willing to spend?" That's the key...you only need to pay one increment more than what the other guy's willing to spend. Did you have any competition at $7500? Sorry, but I highly doubt it.

As an OA collector, I know I have to pay up to pry things loose from black hole collections. I don't really have a choice when it comes to one-of-a-kind items. The collector on the other side has all the power since he doesn't care if I buy or not...he's not looking to sell. When dealing with sellers/dealers/flippers, though, know that they are as eager to sell as you are to buy. Even one-of-a-kind items like OA and (arguably) 10.0 slabs. And we all know who the sellers are here. Therefore, as a buyer, you do have some say regarding the transaction. The balance of power is more even.

Hope that all makes sense.