• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

They're not recreations at all and they are used in publication, in that the digitally colored version of the tonal becomes the final cover art, just like a copy of the linework becomes the tonal.

Most artists go from linework to digital finishing, Jenny just has a middle step in her art-making process that results in a second piece.

They're not recreations at all and they are used in publication, in that the digitally colored version of the tonal becomes the final cover art, just like a copy of the linework becomes the tonal.

Most artists go from linework to digital finishing, Jenny just has a middle step in her art-making process that results in a second piece.

Ahh - got it. So effectively the pencils are originals and the tonal is the published copy (excluding the digital version)

Edited by Hekla

Felix (or other OA collectors) - would you consider the tonals as recreations? It doesn't sound like they are studies/prelims and aren't used in publishing. But conversely, they are done prior to publication.

(shrug)

They do look great, tho, and congrats to the owners. I'd love to have one myself.

Based on what Paolo described as Jenny's process, I would not consider the tonal piece to be a recreation. The closest parallel I can think of is an inked blueline...although, in this case, there's no separate inker, it's all the work of the same artist. It does make collecting these a little trickier. As an OA collector, I don't feel the need to own the prelims to finished pieces. In this case, I'd probably want to have both. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with the original pencil piece. I'd also be happy with the tonal piece if that was all that was available-- I think it displays better.

I understand why Paolo broke them up-- to sell them more quickly by making the art more affordable to more collectors. But at this point, with the book's popularity, they have to be an easier sell and I imagine he could get just as much for both together as he's been getting for them separately.

no, the tonal is not the final published copy either- it gets digitally finished. :)

I would consider them both original art, and I'd prefer the tonal ones, personally.

I was over-simplifying by saying 'published piece'.

I prefer the tonals just based on aesthetics.

Gonna take this time to post this again since we are discussing the OA and I like to gloat sometimes:

DSC00167.jpg

:cloud9:

Post that as often as you like HR! By far one of my favorite covers along side issue #6.

are they attached by pins through the bags? what's holding them on the wall

Bingo. Not the prettiest setup but meh I like it. Gives me a chance to admire them when I am on business calls in the home office. Better than shutting them away in a box like my ToT 1-12. :sorry:

are they attached by pins through the bags? what's holding them on the wall

Bingo. Not the prettiest setup but meh I like it. Gives me a chance to admire them when I am on business calls in the home office. Better than shutting them away in a box like my ToT 1-12. :sorry:

NICE!

I was gonna ask same question about what's holding them up. You ever try command strips? My wife uses them for picture frames. I don't know if i'd put them direct on the slabs but it may work.

Actually. I have been looking for a place to get chalk board ledges and cut them up that way it is easier to rotate books... I imagine a room with chalk board ledges everywhere!

I use small shelves from the local big box hardware in a few places around my room for rotating books. ( sorry no Revival up at the moment :blush:)

3XDTTS7.jpg

Actually. I have been looking for a place to get chalk board ledges and cut them up that way it is easier to rotate books... I imagine a room with chalk board ledges everywhere!

if you did, you could add little sideways L's to slot them into, that would be neat and no worry of tipping off.