• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shill?

72 posts in this topic

Shill may occur in Mycomicshop.com auction,

There are too many record breakings for the raw grade key issues. Few months ago, Mycomicshop reported 30% or better above GPA. It's hard to believe them.

I tried to do my best to keep the prices little under 12 months average in GPA but I was outbid too many times. Do you think they shill on the raw grade books?

It's just a hunch.

It is more an indicator that comic books on the whole are going up in price right now.

The best way to combat shills is to place the bid that you would be happy to pay for a book. If you win you are happy, if you lose it was more than you were willing to pay anyways.

There are too many record breakings for the raw grade key issues. Few months ago, Mycomicshop reported 30% or better above GPA. It's hard to believe them.

I tried to do my best to keep the prices little under 12 months average in GPA but I was outbid too many times. Do you think they shill on the raw grade books?

It's just a hunch.

Did you talk to mycomicshop about this before posting it on a chat forum as a courtesy? They're members here and pretty well regarded as sellers.

If you are talking about something like the Avengers #1 that was listed as a raw 4.0 and sold for north of $2400, that book looks like it will grade a 5.0 or a 5.5 so while it is expensive for the 4.0 grade, it's really what I would consider an undergraded book.

So just like any other comic that is undergraded or looks better than the assigned grade, it is going to fetch a "record" price.

Personally, I believe that if someone has a problem with a transaction it's always best to go to the source first for clarification rather than a public chat forum.

Going public without having any of the facts only leads to speculation and possible reputations being damaged unnecessarily.

That's my 2c

:foryou:

[

Did you talk to mycomicshop about this before posting it on a chat forum as a courtesy? They're members here and pretty well regarded as sellers.

I agree about the courtesy aspect but with 633 Negs and 333 neutrals (at time of writing) on ebay currently, there are those who might disagree with the second part of your statement (shrug)

It's just a hunch.

If you are talking about something like the Avengers #1 that was listed as a raw 4.0 and sold for north of $2400, that book looks like it will grade a 5.0 or a 5.5 so while it is expensive for the 4.0 grade, it's really what I would consider an undergraded book.

So just like any other comic that is undergraded or looks better than the assigned grade, it is going to fetch a "record" price.

Personally, I believe that if someone has a problem with a transaction it's always best to go to the source first for clarification rather than a public chat forum.

Going public without having any of the facts only leads to speculation and possible reputations being damaged unnecessarily.

That's my 2c

:foryou:

+1

Creating an alarmist thread that has the possibility of damaging a seller or dealer on a "hunch", without contacting them first, without examples and without sticking around after starting the thread is definitely NOT the right way to go about things IMHO.

Any actual links to the auctions? Easier to tell that way.

Agreed. With no actual points of reference this is just (as my Grandpa used to say) useless yammerin'.

Mycomicshop auctions have seemed to be picking up traction in the last 3-4 months (traction meaining more people are aware of them, bidding in them, listing quality books with them), so it would be reasonable to expect the "good deals" (under GPA) to start drying up.

ComicLink auctions have also seen a big uptick in prices vs GPA (there are still the occasional deals to be sure) so it sounds like MCS is just in line with whats happening at other auction sites...

links please, or just say the books/auctions you think are suspect...

[

I agree about the courtesy aspect but with 633 Negs and 333 neutrals (at time of writing) on ebay currently, there are those who might disagree with the second part of your statement (shrug)

Which, if you look at their total transaction numbers, accounts for less than half of 1% of their transactions. I've seen sellers in the Marketplace that can't make three sales without one of them up.

[

I actually did not look at their eBay store, but I have interacted with Conan personally and read many positive things here so my opinion was based on experiences I had read about here.

And to be fair, you forgot to mention that they did 213,714 transactions in 12 months and have a 99.7% positive rating. Not 2000, not 20,000...nearly 1/4 of a million transactions in the past 12 months.

No, it's not 100% but with a large volume operation I can understand how mistakes can happen once in a while. They do with me.

[

I actually did not look at their eBay store, but I have interacted with Conan personally and read many positive things here so my opinion was based on experiences I had read about here.

And to be fair, you forgot to mention that they did 213,714 transactions in 12 months and have a 99.7% positive rating. Not 2000, not 20,000...nearly 1/4 of a million transactions in the past 12 months.

No, it's not 100% but with a large volume operation I can understand how mistakes can happen once in a while. They do with me.

With that many transactions they are also likely to run across more of the wacko buyers that will leave negative feedback no matter how good the service. Some of these buyers are new to comic books, new to buying on the internet, inexperienced with grading comics, etc. If you sell enough books, you will eventually run across them.

[

Which, if you look at their total transaction numbers, accounts for less than half of 1% of their transactions. I've seen sellers in the Marketplace that can't make three sales without one of them up.

lol

Exactly.

It's just a hunch.

I you know the word, then you know how it works. Anyone who sells or consigns can simply create another account or have a friend pit in a protection bid. Can it happen at Heritage, clink, comicconnect or eBay? The answer is sadly yes.

Mycomicshop.com does such a volume of business online that I find it hard to imagine they would dedicate someone to shilling their auctions, even the relatively high-dollar ones. Thankfully, this thread serves as more of a positive advertisement of their overall business practices. I've had minor issues with their service, but never found them to be anything less than honest. Their business is far too established to play games.

I've been paid for every book I've auctioned there but one, so if they if they are shilling to new GPA prices, they are laying out the money. The one book that the buyer didn't come thru on, MCS offered to pay for the book themselves. As it was a lower bid that I hoped for, I opted to keep the book on consignment instead.

[

Yes I agree mistakes do happen.

What I don't accept is however many positives they have, a neg is a neg, and with that many negs something is wrong.

I have read here posts by members who would not touch any ebayer with any form of negative feedback, but if people want to cut MCS a pass, so be it.

To be fair I do have a horse in the race. They have let me down in the past, I do now buy elsewhere. It was their ebay model that failed.

To summarise;

Their inventory and shipping security are first rate.

Despite my repeat business and dollars spent, I found their customer service to be rank.

I chose not to leave a negative, even though they deserved one.

I just never spent a penny with them again.

It cost them thousands of future dollars, but I guess they don't care, so its all good. :)

[

What I don't accept is however many positives they have, a neg is a neg, and with that many negs something is wrong.

I have read here posts by members who would not touch any ebayer with any form of negative feedback, but if people want to cut MCS a pass, so be it.

To be fair I do have a horse in the race. They have let me down in the past, I do now buy elsewhere. It was their ebay model that failed.

To summarise;

Despite my repeat business and dollars spent, I found their customer service to be rank.

It cost them thousands of future dollars, but I guess they don't care, so its all good. :)

There's no large retailer (in any industry) out there who can satisfy 100% of their customers 100% of their time. To think otherwise is ridiculously naive :screwy:

[

To summarise;

There's no large retailer (in any industry) out there who can satisfy 100% of their customers 100% of their time. To think otherwise is ridiculously naive :screwy:

I agree you can't please all the people all the time.

However my personal experience lends itself for me to make an informed comment on MCS.

I bought from them regularly, they dropped the ball one time and treated my justified complaint in an offhand and dismissive manner, as if I had never spent a dollar with them.

I then chose not to buy again. This decision was based on my own personal experience.

Perhaps if it happens to you, you may have another viewpoint? hm