• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray Bradbury

71 posts in this topic

I first met Ray Bradbury personally as a sophomore in high school (1971) (he was bud's with my English teacher who I had all 4 years in HS)...he came and gave a talk at our high school but a select group of English Honors students got to meet with him and shoot the mess for about a half-hour before the talk...enterprising young man that I was I brought 2 1950s EC books with Ray Bradbury stories for him to sign...which he did...which I promptly lost track of (ripped off??!! :o ) within the next few years...

Flash forward to about 8-10 years ago and he was a guest speaker at one of our Orange County AIA Design Awards Banquets and I got him to sign a 1st edition hard cover book of short sci-fi stories and he signed on the inside first page "to my comic book buddy Tom...etc..." and I have a picture of him signing it for me...I'll fish that out if I can find it and post it...

Great guy and a real visionary!

Miss ya already Ray! :headbang:

I only saw Ray Bradbury speak once to a crowd of about 1k at SDCC even though he supports comics and graphic novels by doing a seminar 40 years in a row there. Think he was 1 month from turning 89 when he motivated the room of fans and collectors at SDCC with great tales from his photographic memory. (worship) Let's see how sharp our memory is when WE turn 89. :wishluck:

This is so sad...

It's strange... I have been staying at my friends flat in the Czech republic this past week... And noticed on their bookshelves this copy of Fahrenheit 451...written in Czech and published in 1953. I stared at it thinking...how did Stalins goons allow this book to get under their radar?? I thought how cool it was this of all books was able to be published in this country during the period in which literature was being supressed. How shocking to learn he was passing away at that very moment.

What a great testimony to Bradburys talent that his book was printed here.....perhaps the printers swayed authorities opinion about it somehow by saying "it's anti television and anti culture" or something...but I'd be guessing.

http://phdast7.hubpages.com/hub/Czechoslovakia-Under-Soviet-Rule-Personalizing-History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Czechoslovakia_(1948–1989)

Rip Ray!

878d0c8e.jpg

ea3497c8.jpg

His words on the fallacy of the internet, i.e., it's not a real entity are words to live by. I've had the DVD collection of The Ray Bradbury Theater for a while and instead of watching in reverence, now I'll watch in thankfulness for his time. That is, the time he spent communicating with each of us directly.

126942.jpg.04b7c6012b6cec15f19e3f78e5b36611.jpg

I first met Ray Bradbury personally as a sophomore in high school (1971) (he was bud's with my English teacher who I had all 4 years in HS)...he came and gave a talk at our high school but a select group of English Honors students got to meet with him and shoot the mess for about a half-hour before the talk...enterprising young man that I was I brought 2 1950s EC books with Ray Bradbury stories for him to sign...which he did...which I promptly lost track of (ripped off??!! :o ) within the next few years...

Flash forward to about 8-10 years ago and he was a guest speaker at one of our Orange County AIA Design Awards Banquets and I got him to sign a 1st edition hard cover book of short sci-fi stories and he signed on the inside first page "to my comic book buddy Tom...etc..." and I have a picture of him signing it for me...I'll fish that out if I can find it and post it...

Great guy and a real visionary!

Miss ya already Ray! :headbang:

Great stories Tom! :headbang: RIP Mr Bradbury.