• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keep your slabs fresh?

21 posts in this topic

Anyone try storing your slabs in Tupperware? It pushes out most of the air and extends the life of food. Open it up again to release any gases. As long as it's in a cool, dark place it could help.

Jason

But where will you put the food?

I know this guy who uses a FoodSaver V3880 Vacuum Food Sealing System for his books. This removes all the harmful air, and it's fairly inexpensive. He can seal 18 comics per plastic roll at a cost of $13.00 per roll.

Or maybe I'm mistaken.

Only four responses and two worth reading. I was hoping for more, I guess people didn't want to be looked down on.

I brought up the idea for two reasons; expensive books need to be protected and it sounds funny & simple.

I saw another member had unslabbed books in ziplock bags, mmmm......fresh and tasty.

Anyone try storing your slabs in Tupperware? It pushes out most of the air and extends the life of food. Open it up again to release any gases. As long as it's in a cool, dark place it could help.

Jason

But where will you put the food?

In the long boxes, of course.

Only four responses and two worth reading. I was hoping for more, I guess people didn't want to be looked down on.

I brought up the idea for two reasons; expensive books need to be protected and it sounds funny & simple.

I saw another member had unslabbed books in ziplock bags, mmmm......fresh and tasty.

I don't think anyone meant to condemn the suggestion, or be dismissive, as in theory storing a CGC slab in Tupperware should be ok for a short time. I'm not sure how often you would need to "burp" the container, as I've always understood the ideal environment would have regular air circulation. The CGC case itself allows for the the comic to to breathe, and needing to open and close the Tupperware to provide air exchange seems like a hassle. Even doing this may not be as effective long term as consistent air circulation would be.

Jason

Given that you're storing in a cool, dark place, I'm not sure that the sealed tupperware container gives you any particular benefit beyond the benefit of a cool, dark place.

I keep them fresh by spritzing them with Fabreze every few days.

Wanted to respond. It is completely safe to store slabs long term in Rubbermaid and Sterlite containers. As for Tupperware, I don't think they would fit, as they are made for food.

You can also place your slabbed comic books in resealable bags, place them in a plastic corrugated box (like the ones from Bags Unlimited) and place the whole box in a Rubbermaid container. It is completely safe. Slabbing a comic book and placing it in a resealable bag also cuts off a lot of air flow. This will not hurt it. Remember some collectors live in a flood region and protecting the slab is more important then listening to an unproven theory on air flow. Ever see how they slab paper money?

Respectfully

'mint'

Wanted to respond. It is completely safe to store slabs long term in Rubbermaid and Sterlite containers. As for Tupperware, I don't think they would fit, as they are made for food.

You can also place your slabbed comic books in resealable bags, place them in a plastic corrugated box (like the ones from Bags Unlimited) and place the whole box in a Rubbermaid container. It is completely safe. Slabbing a comic book and placing it in a resealable bag also cuts off a lot of air flow. This will not hurt it. Remember some collectors live in a flood region and protecting the slab is more important then listening to an unproven theory on air flow. Ever see how they slab paper money?

Respectfully

'mint'

So, no worry of condensation forming inside a closed container? I understand paper produces acids that can be absorbed through a backing board or alkaline paper placed between pages, but it seems like I've always heard comics need some sort of regular air exchange to keep them in optimum condition.

As for paper money, I thought it was the cotton content that made a difference in how money is preserved vs. comics.

Respectfully

'mint'

So, no worry of condensation forming inside a closed container? I understand paper produces acids that can be absorbed through a backing board or alkaline paper placed between pages, but it seems like I've always heard comics need some sort of regular air exchange to keep them in optimum condition.

As for paper money, I thought it was the cotton content that made a difference in how money is preserved vs. comics.

You are storing this in a climate controlled environment or storage unit, correct? Why would condensation form? Can you explain your scientific basis behind this theory? I have been storing CGC comic books this way since 2005 and never had a problem. I also have recommended numerous other collectors store them the same way. Out of site, out of mind.

I would urge you to buy a copy of the book, 'Saving Stuff' (not the full title, but I can get it for you, if needed). You do realize most of these books in high grade were stored in horrid conditions and most never degraded or even would if left stored in those conditions.

You are really analyzing this way too much, in my opinion. I could name vault storage companies where customers (myself included) pay hundreds of dollars a month to store items worth tens if thousands of dollars; and not much analysis is taken into consideration when storing these items. Trust me, as I have consulted with a lot of these facilities when dealing with estates and auctions. Most of the small items are sealed and kept in locked vaults; and catalogued as well. Just look at how many comic books are stored in safe deposit boxes (I do not recommend this, but it is great for paper money).

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

PS: Slabbing a comic book and placing it in a resealable bag, also would cut off 90%, if not more; of all air flow. This is the preferred way of storing slabs. What do you think collectors in flood regions do?

They store them to keep (water); and incidentally air as well.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

PS: Slabbing a comic book and placing it in a resealable bag, also would cut off 90%, if not more; of all air flow. This is the preferred way of storing slabs. What do you think collectors in flood regions do?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense. I know the book you mentioned, I should get it as a reference.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense. I know the book you mentioned, I should get it as a reference.

If you need more book recommedations on preserving collectibles and even what conservationists use when approaching this matter; just PM me. I would start with the book mentioned above; as it is very inexpensive. Keep in mind that storing a book in a resealable bag in a box; cuts just as much air flow off (if not as much) than adding a Rubbermaid or Sterlite container. There are no problems doing this. Condensation would only form if high humidity and MASSIVE temperature fluctuations are present (and you would NEED both present for this to occur).

Respectfully,

'mint'

These are questions I've also had for a long time. Thanks for being so concise and detailed with your responses. Just as my collection is starting to gather some moderately valuable books, I am becoming concerned with how to keep them valuable.

If you or anyone would ever like recommendations on what books to read on this subject or even where to go for 'unique' conservation and storage supplies; I have contacts with a lot of different companies in this industry. I also want to point out that I have absolutely NO vested interest in any of the companies I recommend. My only experience is due to the fact that I have either done business with them for my own needs, recommended them to clients and or customers in the antiques/collectibles field, or learned about them from those that directly work in the auction and museum fields (i.e. conservation and storage). I have no problem naming company names, but I do not wish to get blamed for 'spamming' the forums.

Respectfully,

'mint'