• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Marvels of the Day (6/18/04)

39 posts in this topic

Number one : I hate you !!

Number two : How did you keep your comics in such good condition for so long .

I used to have an original owner collection till my two daughters came along 20 years ago then I sold them as my wife gave up work to look after the children .

So I am collecting again all the comics I used to own in 9 / 9.2 , will take me quite a while but it is fun .

Number Three : Don't really hate you I admire people with the foresight to have kept their original collections I 'm paying for it now ( in more ways than one ) .

i've stated it before, but these comics spent their first 10 years standing upright in a deep dresser drawer barea$$ed. the next ten were spent inside the insidious polybags from the 60's/70's. the last 20+ were in mylar with acid free boards. not really sure how they made it through the first 20 years?!?! quite a few didn't fare all that well........ frown.gif

Yeah I always thought it was strange ( no pun intended " strange tales etc.. ") that when you bought comics that had been stored in those old poly bags the bags were yellow but the comics inside were always perfect .

Did you get then slabbed to sell or for better storage .

I only ask because I have about 500 silver age comics stored in bags and board.

I was considering slabbing them in stages to keep them from degrading , but your comics seem fine after all those years stored unprotected .

Did you get then slabbed to sell or for better storage .

I only ask because I have about 500 silver age comics stored in bags and board.

I was considering slabbing them in stages to keep them from degrading , but your comics seem fine after all those years stored unprotected .

i'd say that if you've got them in mylars with acid free backing boards, they should be good for a long, long time, considering how nice many of mine turned out after their ordeal for 20 years. grin.gif

i think the jury is still out on slabs and the need to potentially break them out down the road. i've slabbed mine to certify the grades for future selling.........

and i'm posting my last batch for a while today (4 HG TTA's) cloud9.gif

here are 5 (if they all fit) copies of Strange Tales that i got back from CGC yesterday after their 4 month vacation in Florida. as usual, these are my off-the-rack purchase from 1964.

#116 first thing x-over is a 9.0 with White pages.

#117 ist Doc Strange name on cover and is a 9.4 with OW/W pgs.

#118 guest stars the FF and is a 9.4 with White pgs.

#120 has an Iceman x-over and is a 9.4 with OW/W pgs.

#121 1st ish w/ doc strange story illo on cover and is a 9.0 wOW/Wpgs.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

1089310841628_Strange_Tales_001.jpg

Love that Ditko cover from #117. 120 is also an under-rated classic. cloud9.gif

Thought I'd share my non-slabbed copies of the same books. My #121 is in need of an upgrade, and I wish those name stamps weren't on 116 and 117, but what can ya do?

strangetales116_118.jpg

Great books guys. Gotta love those Ditko Dr. Strange's. thumbsup2.gif

I'd rather taunt whoever buc* is, since he snatched Flying Donuts Defenders #52 35¢ variant from my clutches yesterday on eBay! This is the third time I've been foiled for that darn comic!

As far as Gene Johnson is concerned, if anyone wants to contact him and ask him why he stamped all his comics, go for it! It won't be me...

Curse you Gene Johnson of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma! Why do you haunt me so?

That same beer commercial joke went through my head when I saw those stamps. Too funny! 27_laughing.gif

I'd rather taunt whoever buc* is, since he snatched Flying Donuts Defenders #52 35¢ variant from my clutches yesterday on eBay! This is the third time I've been foiled for that darn comic!

To both you and Higghawker, who are wonderful fellows, but had the same problem. I can only say one thing. Bid higher. devil.gif

Seriously though, the prices I realized on my variants were eye-opening, to say the least.