• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unwitnessed autographs CGC

58 posts in this topic

This might have been addressed earlier but I thought it might be a good topic to bring up even for the noobs to here.

CGC started up the signature series a couple of years ago to "authenticate" (read make more income off for witness's and formalize the signature value) autographs normally at conventions and special events (harder for the regular collector to have an authenticated signature)

Before this process they would make a note on the Blue label "name written on cover/inside Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Steve Ditko etc. Since this was an approved process do they still follow what was a approved process (in particular for the many deceased comic creators).

Here is an example of a book I'd like to send in NM copy of the first Robin solo book

with the autographs of all the creators prior to CGC sig series

311sw9f.jpg

If it is now a green label I'd find that a break in previous policy and provide a negative air to the book where it was their common practice not to authenticate but just note that the signatures were there.

What do you think and how have they handled it currently ?

Thanks in advance for the help :foryou:

It will receive a blue label, with the interior signatures being noted (most likely as "4 signatures on inside page") and considered as defects, but as interior sigs they will not hurt the grade much.

With names that are written with decent penmanship (Stan Lee, Jack Kirby or Joe Hill), I thought CGC would note them if they could read them (yet not authenticating at the same time), when you get a gobbledygook of signatures, I'm not sure how that would go. "Names written on the interior" :shrug:

Thanks sounds right, a buddy of mine had a Jack Kirby that looked authentic (I have one of his on a authenticated poster) but he had to sell it non cgc graded.

I don't have a problem as long as the "written" is included. That way if you have the scans of the inside of the book at least it can be presented to the buyer (thumbs u

With names that are written with decent penmanship (Stan Lee, Jack Kirby or Joe Hill), I thought CGC would note them if they could read them (yet not authenticating at the same time), when you get a gobbledygook of signatures, I'm not sure how that would go. "Names written on the interior" :shrug:

It is kind of a craapshoot as to when/if they will do that.

I was under the, probably erroneous, impression that CGC mentioned the sig on the label by name if it was tacitly thought it was genuine eg, 'Jack Kirby written on 1st page'.

If they didn't think it was 100% genuine or just hadn't a clue they wrote 'name written on 1st page' or something similar.

Both times the grade takes a hit but obviously it's better to have the sigs by name on the label?

Edit: none of the above replies were here while I wrote that honest!!!!

I was under the, probably erroneous, impression that CGC mentioned the sig on the label by name if it was tacitly thought it was genuine eg, 'Jack Kirby written on 1st page'.

If they didn't think it was 100% genuine or just hadn't a clue they wrote 'name written on 1st page' or something similar.

Both times the grade takes a hit but obviously it's better to have the sigs by name on the label?

Edit: none of the above replies were here while I wrote that honest!!!!

That is erroneous. Many times if there was no question as to what the written name was, they would put it on the label. But, whether they list the name has no bearing on authentication, tacit or otherwise. Only Yellow label sigs are authenticated, and those only when procured under the rules of the Signature Series program.

I do like it when they put "Jack Kirby" or "Alex Schomburg" or whatever on the label, but it is inconsistent at to when/if they do it.

I bought a CGC 6.5 copy of FF #8 that had the notation "Jack Kirby written on first page in pen". I deslabbed it and I don't think they deducted anything from the grade. It was an authentic Kirby sig and I had wanted to get Stan to sign it also, but it didn't arrive in time for B'more. It's nontheless one of my favorite books. I can't speculate as to why they specified his name on the label....maybe you could PM Steve or West and they could shed further light. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thought I may be mistaken.

I think the whole thing with it is that's it's inconsistent. If it's not part of SS then they should really not mention it at all and just put 'writing on 1st page'.

But hey, there's plenty of other inconsistencies that really matter before they do anything about this one.

Why slab this book? With 4 great signatures in it and a slab around it saying "name written on page" but can't see it how can you enjoy it?

A book like this should be kept raw

But that's just my 2 cents

You will find many CGC books where the original owner autographed the cover. Maybe so their friends at school didn't swipe it, I dunno. On books that are F/VF or lower, I haven't seen that sig affect the actual grade. An interior page name on a border would likely not affect the grade unless it was VF/NM or better to start with.

I believe they treat all non-witnessed names this way.

Why slab this book? With 4 great signatures in it and a slab around it saying "name written on page" but can't see it how can you enjoy it?

A book like this should be kept raw

But that's just my 2 cents

I'm using this book as an example not sure I would want to slab. I'm trying to see some guidelines for other pre-CGC SS $$$ books.

Well, let me throw my book into the ring.

I have an X-men #94 with 2 signatures on the first page: Chris Claremont and Bob Mcleod.

signed94.jpg

But as you can see, I got a blue label, with no notation that there were any signatures in the book..

xmen94cgc2.jpg

I have an X-men #94 with 2 signatures on the first page: Chris Claremont and Bob Mcleod.

signed94.jpg

But as you can see, I got a blue label, with no notation that there were any signatures in the book..

xmen94cgc2.jpg

That would really annoy me if i bought that book, cracked it and found those "names" / "sigs" written inside without it being on the label.

That would really annoy me if i bought that book, cracked it and found those "names" / "sigs" written inside without it being on the label.

Well, I guess its a good thing that no one alive today on these boards will ever be buying this book in their life time.. :)

Well, I guess its a good thing that no one alive today on these boards will ever be buying this book in their life time.. :)

:acclaim::pullhair:

Sorry it wasn't meant to slight you or the book, just that i always thought it would be written on a label since i don't like unverified signed books, in many cases even verified ones.

signed94.jpg

xmen94cgc2.jpg

I hope CGC just made a mistake in this case. If I'm buying a CGC'd X-Men 94, I want to know if something is written on or in it. I would be upset if I bought this book and later found it had undisclosed signatures/writing in it. Personally, if I see a CGC blue label book, unless noted on the label, I assume that there is nothing written in it.