• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help buying a possibly restored ASM 1

29 posts in this topic

So I recently walked into a small comic store, with a solid collection of silver and bronze age books. After buying a few (namely Silver Surfer 1-4, Hulk 102, and a few others), the owner asked if I wanted to see anything from his personal collection.

One of the items was a ASM #1 which is in VFN+, possibly NM- condition. However due to a few worries he had about restoration, he was selling it for the very low price of $9,500. He said that he has had it on the wall for ages, at that price, but no one has even asked to take a closer look at it.

Upon closer inspection, the cover is absolutely beautiful, no creases of any sort and the most minimal amount of chipping. The spine is in great condition and the staples are tight as can be. The cover shines great in the light, and there are no un-even spots.

The only concern is on the flip side of the cover, which when exposed to light shows two sections which are of a slightly darker color. This is not reflected on the front, where the same sections appear just fine. The collector suggested that this is why he keeps the price so low, as he's feared in the past that this could be the sign of restoration done, via the adding of rice paper or other adhesives to strengthen the back of the cover. He said that he'd never want to sell a book at Overstreet Price, and have someone come back with a CGC Restored Slab, which I can really respect.

The question is, do I go for the gamble? Are darker regions on the back side of the cover, definite signs of restoration? This book is definitely in the 8.0+ region, and if it comes back with a universal slab, I'm making out like a bandit.

Worst case scenario, if it comes back with a Restored CGC 8.0/8.5 or 9.0, how much can I realistically expect the book to be valued at. Will it even be close to the $9500, or does restoration cause the book to fall far below even this value?

Side-note: after examining the book with a magnifying glass with me, he started to question why he ever put the book for sale at such a price. he suggested that if I didn't take it, he would go ahead and get it CGC'd himself. granted this could be a selling tactic.

He who takes the risks, reaps the rewards...

a motto i live by my friend. keep in mind, this is the same guy who sold me a ASM 129 unslabbed at 450, which came back a 9.6, and a Hulk for 800, that's getting CGC'd right now (likely a 9.2 or 9.4 at least.)

He who takes the risks, reaps the rewards...

a motto i live by my friend. keep in mind, this is the same guy who sold me a ASM 129 unslabbed at 450, which came back a 9.6, and a Hulk for 800, that's getting CGC'd right now (likely a 9.2 or 9.4 at least.)

Since you have experience that the guy is honest you are in a better place to make the call.

Get a black light for like $20 on ebay and give it the quick test. Not a guarantee, but it should make most color touch pop. If you are sure that a couple tiny marks are the only potential color touch or other restoration you will find, I would think you could still have Matt Nelson remove the ct and probably get a fairly decent unrestored grade back from CGC based on your description.

Why hasn't the dealer sent it in himself already..... ah because he probably has and found out it was restored.... he than cracked it and is selling it at a cost he can live with.... just my guess?? Seems crazy for him not to have sent in... ????

Why hasn't the dealer sent it in himself already..... ah because he probably has and found out it was restored.... he than cracked it and is selling it at a cost he can live with.... just my guess?? Seems crazy for him not to have sent in... ????

(thumbs u

All of this hemming and hawing by the dealer about not wanting to sell for a higher price because of worries about restoration seems disingenuous, when he could just submit it himself for a few bucks and have the answer confirmed. And if unrestored, he could sell it for thousands more than he's asking. Why would he leave that kind of money on the table?

I smell a BS artist.

(thumbs u

All of this hemming and hawing by the dealer about not wanting to sell for a higher price because of worries about restoration seems disingenuous, when he could just submit it himself for a few bucks and have the answer confirmed. And if unrestored, he could sell it for thousands more than he's asking. Why would he leave that kind of money on the table?

I smell a BS artist.

The man is a UK based dealer, and in my few months here I've learnt that many of the UK comic dealers don't CGC simply due to shipping costs and the fact that their market isn't as saturated with CGC-heads. This man has sold me a Hulk 181 at around 800, which I ended up sending off to CGC which graded it a 9.0. So I doubt its a matter of him simply not wanting to CGC this ASM in particular, but rather a stance he takes on all the comics he sold.

He told me that he recently sold a raw Hulk 1 a few years back, raw, which was one of his bigger mistakes, as it got graded and resold rather quickly for a profit by the buyer.

He basically told me that if I don't want to buy the book anymore he's going to send it of to CGC himself, as to avoid another Hulk 1 situation, but as he's a man of his word if I still want the book at our agreed upon price, he'll do the deal.

He could be playing me, but I kind of doubt it. Plus I'm thinking I could always look into color touch/restoration removal. Its honestly the nicest raw ASM 1 I've ever seen.

Where is the shop? Ask one of the boardies here in the UK to go with you maybe and check it? There are a couple here who can easily spot restoration. Pay them for their time or give them a free book or something.

Or take a high res camera and take lots of pictures and post them here?

Better safe than sorry.

Where is the shop? Ask one of the boardies here in the UK to go with you maybe and check it? There are a couple here who can easily spot restoration. Pay them for their time or give them a free book or something.

Better safe than sorry.

Great idea, if any London based forum members familiar with restoration want to come take a look at the book with me, let me know. I'll throw in a Pence copies of a SA or BA key for your troubles.

BTW I've had time to look at this under blacklight, and the front cover doesn't show any signs of anything weird. The only off part is a slightly darker colored region on the back of the cover near the top edges. Could this be some sort of stain? Does adding extra pieces such as rice paper cause for a darker/lighter discoloration?

If you were to buy the book, and found it had restoration, will he take the book back for a full refund?

If he's willing to do that, IMO, I'd buy the book. Get it looked at, and if all is good, send it in to cgc. If it's restored, take it back.

Granted, as long as your sure he'll give you a refund.

Even if your out a little bit for shipping back and forth, it might be worth taking the chance.

Better safe than sorry.

Great idea, if any London based forum members familiar with restoration want to come take a look at the book with me, let me know. I'll throw in a Pence copies of a SA or BA key for your troubles.

Ask Andy Colman from Goldust Comics. He's a boardie here and is as good as probably anyone else in London at spotting restoration. He's also a super cool guy who likes meeting and hanging out with boardies. Take him to a nice dinner afterward and geek out over the book together. Goldust40 is his name.

BTW I've had time to look at this under blacklight, and the front cover doesn't show any signs of anything weird. The only off part is a slightly darker colored region on the back of the cover near the top edges. Could this be some sort of stain? Does adding extra pieces such as rice paper cause for a darker/lighter discoloration?

does it have irregular or circular edges like a stain?