• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdcomixncardz and CGG

146 posts in this topic

CGG didn't say there wasn't color touch, it was just that they couldn't find it on the top corner. (There was color touch in another spot also)

I was one of those people that bought a undisclosed PLOD CGG book from him. I did get most of my money back invested in the book back.

CGG without doubt has messed up many times over and claimed that tdcomixs wouldn't be able to submit books anymore. Clearly he still does. Which is more reason for us to question CGG. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(The other book BTW is still slabbed in a CGG holder. Steve has it. It was an issue of Brave and the Bold)

There's been multiple cases of color touch on books that were CGG universal and resubmitted to CGC. I know that members of a forum dinner saw a CGG book that had blatant amatuer color touch on the cover of a book that was removed from a CGG universal slab. Maybe they will become an alternative one day. But they need to stop being shady, stop dealings with ComixnCardz, and hire a reputable restoration EXPERT.

Brian

That's right. CGG does not have the expertise necessary to detect restoration consistently, and even more importantly, they don't have the expertise to certify high dollar books that could be well-executed counterfeits (particularly on indie comix where this is a common problem).

If all you want is a reasonably accurately graded comic book in a piece of (non-archival) plastic, then fine, CGG is a great alternative. Cheaper and faster. But on a high dollar book, aren't you really looking for a lot more than just grading and slabbing? I mean hell, I can grade my own books and mylar plus full back backboard is a better archival solution than either CGG or CGC's slabs because of the alkaline buffered storage environment and the archival quality mylar, plus the fact that the book isn't sealed. AND I can still take it out and read the damned thing. CGC's service is about more than just a "grade and slab." It's about certification that the comic is the genuine article and is not restored.

At this point the service that Matt Nelson offers is a far better move than going through CGG. With Nelson at least you KNOW whether the book is restored. With CGG it's a guessing game.

Brian

What book was it, and why did no one ever post scans? confused-smiley-013.gif Just curious!

I don't know whose book it was, nor do I see how that makes a difference. The book was in a CGG slab and the color touch was obvious. But obvious or not, dots of color touch aren't going to show up in a scan, so what's the point?

At this point the service that Matt Nelson offers is a far better move than going through CGG. With Nelson at least you KNOW whether the book is restored. With CGG it's a guessing game.

Brian

Doesn't Nelson just check for restoration, give a grading opinion, and then submit to CGC? And isn't his service pretty expensive?

Brian

Doesn't Nelson just check for restoration, give a grading opinion, and then submit to CGC? And isn't his service pretty expensive?

Ranges from $10-$60 for the pro-screen which includes the restoration check and grade assignmnet. The cost goes down to $10 if you choose to have additional work done.

Link

If all you want is a reasonably accurately graded comic book in a piece of (non-archival) plastic, then fine, CGG is a great alternative. Cheaper and faster. But on a high dollar book, aren't you really looking for a lot more than just grading and slabbing? I mean hell, I can grade my own books and mylar plus full back backboard is a better archival solution than either CGG or CGC's slabs because of the alkaline buffered storage environment and the archival quality mylar, plus the fact that the book isn't sealed.

Two questions:

• Define "non-archival"
  • Are you inferring that a mylar sealed on 3 edges with an open top is a better way to allow acids to leak out than a CGC or CGG case?

If all you want is a reasonably accurately graded comic book in a piece of (non-archival) plastic, then fine, CGG is a great alternative. Cheaper and faster. But on a high dollar book, aren't you really looking for a lot more than just grading and slabbing? I mean hell, I can grade my own books and mylar plus full back backboard is a better archival solution than either CGG or CGC's slabs because of the alkaline buffered storage environment and the archival quality mylar, plus the fact that the book isn't sealed.

Two questions:

• Define "non-archival"
  • Are you inferring that a mylar sealed on 3 edges with an open top is a better way to allow acids to leak out than a CGC or CGG case?

1) PVC is non-archival. I am not going to recopy the Library of Congress email for the nth time. I am not really sure why you are asking this question, as I know you've read the email each time I've posted it.

2) I am saying that a book inside a mylar with a backboard containing a 3% calcium carbonate buffer is better than a book inside of a Barex well with two pieces of microchamber paper, and is certainly better than a book inside of a PVC well with microchamber paper.

Maybe they changed their minds when they started using their new security stickers on the label and the inner well. Maybe they determined he was not at fault, or maybe he has a buddy submit books. confused-smiley-013.gif

It does make sense with people that are intent on intentionally making an effort to get restored books past on a regular basis not to be allowed to submit, but is that the case, I have no idea.

So that is four books, supposedly all genuine, I will assume yes, out of how many books they have graded. I lost count a long time ago the # of books people have claimed CGC has missed restoration on, and numerous CGC conspiracies, all of which may be true or completely false.

When is the last time a supposed restored book has appears in the CGGroup blue label?

And is there an reasonable, acceptable percentage of error? If either company missed, say 1 out of every 200 books with some type of restoration, would like be acceptable, I mean they are still all human, except for the new CGC robot graders, which can grade at a pace of two books per minute. 27_laughing.gif

I have seen lots of books where CGC has missed restoration, and know several people that have slipped restored books past them, but when CGG missed they are damned, as well they should for daring to even attempt to stand against Goliath. 27_laughing.gifsumo.gifmakepoint.gifgrin.gif

1) PVC is non-archival. I am not going to recopy the Library of Congress email for the nth time. I am not really sure why you are asking this question, as I know you've read the email each time I've posted it.

Yea, I've read it, but I was busy that week and didn't have time to post. Has the Library of Congress tested every blend of PVC out there, or do they explicitly state that all possible PVC compounds are non-archival?

2) I am saying that a book inside a mylar with a backboard containing a 3% calcium carbonate buffer is better than a book inside of a Barex well with two pieces of microchamber paper

Why's that?

I have seen lots of books where CGC has missed restoration

So far, there is only one known copy like that, Batman 11. (trimmed)

If you know of more, I think we'd be all interested to know what issues they are. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifjuggle.gif

So far, there is only one known copy like that, Batman 11. (trimmed)

If you know of more, I think we'd be all interested to know what there are. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifjuggle.gif

Procrustean claimed to me via email that he bought a Spidey 122 from comic-keys that he got graded at Universal CGC 9.6, but he thought it was better than that, so he resubmitted it and got a Restored CGC 9.4 the second time around due to a trimmed edge. However, he lied several times on these boards, so it's hard to accept whether or not he did resubmit just based upon his word. Comic-keys validated that he did return the Spidey 122 to him at some point.

I am not intentionally trying to be known as a CGG advocate, makepoint.gif and I realize that CGC is the recognized authority, as they should be, but I also recognize that the amount of books CGC does per day would seemingly not allow them to spend more than 20-30 seconds per book, where I would guess CGG could spend as much time with a book as they wanted.

NOT true! 893naughty-thumb.gif I spend an average of 4 minutes per book, and I'm only a pregrader at the moment!

West

For everyone's info, here's a link back to the previous thread (which contains a link to yet another thread on the topic) on the archival quality of the CGG case:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=452974

There's been multiple cases of color touch on books that were CGG universal and resubmitted to CGC. I know that members of a forum dinner saw a CGG book that had blatant amatuer color touch on the cover of a book that was removed from a CGG universal slab. Maybe they will become an alternative one day. But they need to stop being shady, stop dealings with ComixnCardz, and hire a reputable restoration EXPERT.

Brian

That's right. CGG does not have the expertise necessary to detect restoration consistently, and even more importantly, they don't have the expertise to certify high dollar books that could be well-executed counterfeits (particularly on indie comix where this is a common problem).

If all you want is a reasonably accurately graded comic book in a piece of (non-archival) plastic, then fine, CGG is a great alternative. Cheaper and faster. But on a high dollar book, aren't you really looking for a lot more than just grading and slabbing? I mean hell, I can grade my own books and mylar plus full back backboard is a better archival solution than either CGG or CGC's slabs because of the alkaline buffered storage environment and the archival quality mylar, plus the fact that the book isn't sealed. AND I can still take it out and read the damned thing. CGC's service is about more than just a "grade and slab." It's about certification that the comic is the genuine article and is not restored.

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN # 1 CGG / CGC NM/M 9.8 WHITE PAGES! Get him for key word spaming

Yeh.. MAYBE they changed their mind and MAYBE his last name ISN'T Elliot and MAYBE he doesn't live in the same city as CGG and MAYBE they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt on multiple books. Hmm.. the word MAYBE and CGG seem to go hand-in-hand..

Ahh.. when in doubt break out the.. "CGC has missed a lot of restoration but I have no examples or way to prove it" defense. Sure there's the Batman 11.. and then.... ... ..?

Brian