• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Advice Regarding Non-Paying Bidder

43 posts in this topic

I do not claim to be a full-time comic dealer - I am a hobbyist who sometimes sells duplicates & unwanted books on the side on eBay. As such, I have a PayPal Personal account (instead of a Business account) and thus cannot accept credit card payments from buyers. I note this fact *twice* in all my item listings (once in the body and once in the "Payment Instructions" section).

An eBay & PayPal newbie hit the BIN on one of my listings. He sent a credit card payment using PayPal which I rejected. He wrote back admitting he did not read my listing carefully and now he does not want to comply with my listed requirements. He says he only pays by PayPal using a credit card (he does not have his account hooked up to a bank account) and because he is impatient to receive the book, he won't send a money order.

I wrote him back and suggested he honor his bid and pay by money order or I would wait a week if he would set up a bank transfer capability through PayPal. I'm not sure what he is going to say. Is there any way to get eBay to cancel this transaction without me eating the fees? They're not much, but it is a matter of principle to me that I should not have to lose a cent because this guy screwed up.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

You know what's funny, one time I bought some comics from a seller with decent feedback. They came all and not NM..I sent them back and the guy filed a NPB form and I was kicked off eBay..no first offense warning [!@#%^&^]..just see ya later!

Brian

lol he doesn't have 60 dollars? I'm assuming it's the X-men book.. Tell him to use bidpay.com

Yeah, it's the $60 X-Men book. It's definitely not the less than $5 of fees I would lose that I'm fighting for...it's the principle of having someone try to not honor their commitments (for some very flimsy reason, no less). eBay would break down if we allowed this kind of $^** to slide.

He says he won't use Bidpay. Maybe he's trying to pull some Jedi Mind Trick PayPal Scam on me? I don't know.

Gene

that's pretty sleazy. PM me with the seller's id if you remember. Or just post it.

Just received an e-mail from him...he's now willing to send a money order. Guess the old-fashioned menacing e-mail from me did the track. They didn't call me "Mean Gene" in high school for nothin', I guess. wink.gif

From his e-mails I think he is just a novice at how eBay works and not a bad guy. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and spare him further embarassment. shocked.gif

Gene

lol come to think of it..I've always had bad luck with my accounts..my 97 account died b/c I lost my email account when Mindspring thought it would be smart to completely pull out of Iowa. tongue.gif

Brian

Like Murph said, you can trap him by suggesting that he pay through bidpay with his credit card. You receive a money order and he pays via credit card. Everyone is happy. grin.gif

From the looks of it, he really doesn't have the intention of paying so file the NPB form and get your final value fees back. Ask him if he is willing to pay for your listing fees as well as your re-listing fees. mad.gif Are you willing to neg his ? I dish out negs like there is no tomorrow when this happens grin.gif It's too bad that many ebay sellers are scared of the retalitory negative. smirk.gif

IMO, if it's just an honest mistake..I don't neg someone..If I saw a book for a nice BIN and instictively just hit the BIN and found out they didn't take money orders or CC's or something weird..I'd want them to be nice to me, just like I'd be nice to that person.

Brian

LMAO, if a person didn't accept Money orders than they must be smoking some major crack tongue.gif If his reason for not paying is just about the CC thing, then he should have no problem paying via Bidpay. Classic case of backing out of a sale. mad.gif I never understand this kind of because how freakin' hard is it not to hit the BIN button or bid? man....

lol filing a NPB after I buy and then return them, that to this day still pisses me off.

There is a way for sellers to file an NPB when dealing with items returned and not affect the buyer negatively. Last I cehcked you can select a reason for the NPB and I think that one of them is that " the seller and buyer mutually agreed not to complete transaction". This allows seller to recoup final auction value fees. Gene is SOL on the listing fee as it will not be refunded if relisted as it counts as already having been sold, despite the return. You'd think eBay would have thought of a default mechanism to handle this fairly common situation without negatively impacting buyer or seller.