• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's A Better Investment?

71 posts in this topic

One is liquid anywhere in the world. One isn't.

Aye, verily. The price of gold will fluctuate, but you can get the prevailing market price anywhere in the world under just about any market conditions. Good luck saying the same with an AF15 - in the wrong place or bad market conditions, you'll be like Dan Ackroyd in "Trading Places" getting $50 for his $6,950 watch. Gold will be there when you need it. AF15...you roll the dice and take your chances... :juggle:

In any case, given that the world is plunging into the deflationary abyss again, (US Dollar) Cash is King and trumps all at the moment. :sumo:

Everything has a monetary value based on demand.

If someone finds out apples are poisonous, apples become worthless.

If an alternative energy source overtakes oil, oil becomes worthless.

Because they are both in demand they current have strong monetary values.

You're talking about something different. ;)

This makes me sad. Over the past 5-6 years, I've developed an allergy to apples. I literally cannot eat them anymore. Although, luckily, I can still eat them if they are cooked (like an apple pie). :(

This makes me sad. Over the past 5-6 years, I've developed an allergy to apples. I literally cannot eat them anymore. Although, luckily, I can still eat them if they are cooked (like an apple pie). :(

Really? I'd never heard of that before. What part of the apple are you allergic to?

EDIT: I just read this. Is this what you're talking about?

Really? I'd never heard of that before. What part of the apple are you allergic to?

EDIT: I just read this. Is this what you're talking about?

:o

Holy mess! That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Although one thing I will add is that it has also happened to me when I've eaten dried apple crisps, and not just raw apples. Fuji apples are the worst culprit and the first time it ever happened to me. But, then it happened with Romes. Then Golden Delicious.

I don't even bother trying any other types at this point.

Although one thing I will add is that it has also happened to me when I've eaten dried apple crisps, and not just raw apples. Fuji apples are the worst culprit and the first time it ever happened to me. But, then it happened with Romes. Then Golden Delicious.

Are you allergic after you peel and wash it well?

I've been hearing more and more about strange allergic reactions people are having in society, usually to things they never used to have allergic reactions to in the past..pollen, foods, even their loved ones (no joke - people are developing 'allergies' to their family members).

I believe that an allergic reaction can be caused by something as simple as an overwhelmed immune system. we live in a time where medicine is everywhere and yet people are getting more and more ill. Our air is not clean, our water is treated, our food is processed and our lives are stressful, and all of those things are a burden on the body. I've had friends who have suffered all sorts of allergies who have done wholistic body cleanses (stress, and nutritional) that focus on removing burdens on the immune system and have had allergic reactions disappear temporarily or even completely. People with severe summer allergies have gone an entire summer without a single allergic reaction.

The principle is quite simple - remove whatever burdens you can on your body's immune system and everything gets better automatically, because it's your body's natural reaction to move in that direction and spring back to health.

Anyhow, just some "food for thought".

:foryou:

I've been hearing more and more about strange allergic reactions people are having in society, usually to things they never used to have allergic reactions to in the past..pollen, foods, even their loved ones (no joke - people are developing 'allergies' to their family members).

I believe that an allergic reaction can be caused by something as simple as an overwhelmed immune system. we live in a time where medicine is everywhere and yet people are getting more and more ill. Our air is not clean, our water is treated, our food is processed and our lives are stressful, and all of those things are a burden on the body. I've had friends who have suffered all sorts of allergies who have done wholistic body cleanses (stress, and nutritional) that focus on removing burdens on the immune system and have had allergic reactions disappear temporarily or even completely. People with severe summer allergies have gone an entire summer without a single allergic reaction.

The principle is quite simple - remove whatever burdens you can on your body's immune system and everything gets better automatically, because it's your body's natural reaction to move in that direction and spring back to health.

Roy told me that:

23d3ae4e.jpg

Plus

99bffa40.jpg

Cures all.

Roy told me that:

23d3ae4e.jpg

Plus

99bffa40.jpg

Cures all.

lol

And to answer Roy's question, no I didn't peel the apple before I ate it. And always wash them off before I eat one.

The first time it happened, my first thought was that I didn't wash it off good enough and that there must've been something on the peel that caused the reaction.

It was a Fuji apple (I typically don't buy those) over at someone elses house. After that, I ate other types of apples with no issues. I didn't notice it again until I had that dried fruit snack. Looked at the ingredients and, sure enough, Fuji apples were listed. At that point, I figured it was specific to Fuji's and haven't touched one since. Was still ok eating other types. Then it just got to where I'd get the reaction whenever I ate a raw apple (although the reaction to fuji's was always the worst), so I quit eating any type, which sucks because I really like Macs and Grannys.

One is liquid anywhere in the world. One isn't.

Aye, verily. The price of gold will fluctuate, but you can get the prevailing market price anywhere in the world under just about any market conditions. Good luck saying the same with an AF15 - in the wrong place or bad market conditions, you'll be like Dan Ackroyd in "Trading Places" getting $50 for his $6,950 watch. Gold will be there when you need it. AF15...you roll the dice and take your chances... :juggle:

In any case, given that the world is plunging into the deflationary abyss again, (US Dollar) Cash is King and trumps all at the moment. :sumo:

The voice of reason (thumbs u

Best investment advice ever on the Boards, from a real Economics ProfessorTM Read it and learn suckas!

I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way). What is the comic worth if...

1. There was at least one other person willing to pay $12,350 on the eve of the auction? ANSWER: $12,350 (to that other person, at least on that particular day). That's not including the other bidders who dropped out before reaching this number. And, interestingly, the buyer (me) already had offers from colleagues who collect high grade books for a significant "return" on my "investment." Go figure.

2. What is it worth to people who find ZERO intrinsic value in this particular issue in this particular grade? ANSWER: $0 Thus, I will likely not attempt to sell any of my high grade comics to members of this board. For instance, G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

3. In the comic book industry, can someone please intelligently explain the theory of "Exponential Value Theory"? HINT: The difference in value between .5 and 1.5 is less than 1.5 and 1.8... The difference in value between a 9.6 and a 9.4 is greater than a 9.4 and a 9.2. For an example, just look at the price of Tales of Suspense #39 in 9.0 and 9.2... and then look at the prices between 9.2 and 9.4. Other examples...

EXAMPLE A: Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 7.0 sells for $69. There is no significant increase in value until you hit the 9.4 range when it's worth a few hundred bucks. However, Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 9.6 sells for $3,000. And the single 9.8? Well, it sells for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book when (if) it ever comes up for sale (I won't be selling it any time soon).

EXAMPLE B: Everyone on the board seems to be aware of Incredible Hulk #181. A CGC 9.4 sells for $3,000, a 9.6 sells for $5,000, a 9.8 for $15,000 ($25,000 on a good good day), and a 9.9, again, for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book for when (if) it ever comes up for sale.

EXAMPLE C: NEW MUTANTS 87 in 9.8 sells for $125 to $150. 9.9 Sold for $3,500 (i.e., an ungodly amount of money that the winner happened to be able to afford when he stumbled across the auction).

EXAMPLE D: Iron First #14 sells for $500 in 9.4, $800 in 9.6, and $2500 in 9.8 (I was lucky and snagged a copy at $2,100 -- am I lucky for getting it on the cheap, $400 below FMV, or stupid for not donating the money to poor starving children in Africa? It would pay for 200+ manual laborers in Kenya, by the way). If a 9.9 ever pops up, Good Lord, you'd better be Pablo Escobar to have a prayer of owning the book -- you need to be rich and willing to kill to get it.

EXAMPLE E: New Mutants 98. 9.6 sells for the same price as your garden variety "Charmin," 9.8 sells for $200 to $250, and 9.9? Yes, whatever ungodly amount of money, blah, blah, blah.

THIS is the lesson that should be discussed. Comics are worth more (significantly more) as their condition increases. How much a book increases in value depends on: individual taste x popularity/demand for a particular issue x scarcity of the issue x popularity of the character x key "event" in an issue x CGC grade (PGX and other company's -- because of their lack of discipline -- doesn't count, unfortunately) x scarcity of CGC grade x luck (knowing of the auction, being in the country to bid for the auction, when other people are NOT aware of the auction, etc.) x [insert whatever variable I'm missing here, please]. Good luck figuring the math out. Please email me when you have.

The idea of "pressing," getting screwed, spending too much, etc. is irrelevant. The "possibilities" of how/why this book is no different from 9.8s is moot. Indeed, outside of the case, it's worthless and I would be a complete fool for cracking it open. For starters, I'd instantly be out $12,500. But, thankfully it's still in the case and graded by CGC. CGC, while not perfect, is perfectly objective. At some point, on some day, three CGC employees agreed this book deserves a 9.9 and they assiged this particular book the grade 9.9, and they did not give this grade to any of the previous 9.8s. Yes, the "label" makes the value and not the book itself. Why? Because it's not me, Moose, Tommy Boy, Ricky, The Sperminator, or any other "board" member assigning the grade after we've "pressed" the out of the book. It's CGC, the industry bible. Is the grade a mistake? Maybe. Fluke? Perhaps. Will other high grade books "come forward?" Probably. But even with others -- or even a perfect 10 -- the odds of landing this issue, in this objectively graded condition by industry experts who are presently recognized as "The Authority" on comic book condition, is astronomically remote. The only difference would be that now someone else would have another extremely rare -- and valuable -- high grade comic.

The lessons for the high grade collector? 1) Exponential Value Theory means that the price of the "one grade below" has NOTHING to do with the price of the book "one grade above." 2) Valuing a comic is a complicated process that consists of many many variables and you'd better be aware of them before you buy (or sell). 3) ANYONE spending more than cover price on a comic is spending more money than the average Kenyan earns in a day. And 4) if you find a super high grade "popular" book with few others listed on the CGC census, act immediately, or lose the book (and be prepared to give your left nut for the book you want -- I, by the way, am now sans ballz).

Thus endeth the lesson.

FYI... Pedigree cashed the check today.

Best investment advice ever on the Boards, from a real Economics ProfessorTM Read it and learn suckas!

I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way). What is the comic worth if...

1. There was at least one other person willing to pay $12,350 on the eve of the auction? ANSWER: $12,350 (to that other person, at least on that particular day). That's not including the other bidders who dropped out before reaching this number. And, interestingly, the buyer (me) already had offers from colleagues who collect high grade books for a significant "return" on my "investment." Go figure.

2. What is it worth to people who find ZERO intrinsic value in this particular issue in this particular grade? ANSWER: $0 Thus, I will likely not attempt to sell any of my high grade comics to members of this board. For instance, G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

3. In the comic book industry, can someone please intelligently explain the theory of "Exponential Value Theory"? HINT: The difference in value between .5 and 1.5 is less than 1.5 and 1.8... The difference in value between a 9.6 and a 9.4 is greater than a 9.4 and a 9.2. For an example, just look at the price of Tales of Suspense #39 in 9.0 and 9.2... and then look at the prices between 9.2 and 9.4. Other examples...

EXAMPLE A: Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 7.0 sells for $69. There is no significant increase in value until you hit the 9.4 range when it's worth a few hundred bucks. However, Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 9.6 sells for $3,000. And the single 9.8? Well, it sells for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book when (if) it ever comes up for sale (I won't be selling it any time soon).

EXAMPLE B: Everyone on the board seems to be aware of Incredible Hulk #181. A CGC 9.4 sells for $3,000, a 9.6 sells for $5,000, a 9.8 for $15,000 ($25,000 on a good good day), and a 9.9, again, for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book for when (if) it ever comes up for sale.

EXAMPLE C: NEW MUTANTS 87 in 9.8 sells for $125 to $150. 9.9 Sold for $3,500 (i.e., an ungodly amount of money that the winner happened to be able to afford when he stumbled across the auction).

EXAMPLE D: Iron First #14 sells for $500 in 9.4, $800 in 9.6, and $2500 in 9.8 (I was lucky and snagged a copy at $2,100 -- am I lucky for getting it on the cheap, $400 below FMV, or stupid for not donating the money to poor starving children in Africa? It would pay for 200+ manual laborers in Kenya, by the way). If a 9.9 ever pops up, Good Lord, you'd better be Pablo Escobar to have a prayer of owning the book -- you need to be rich and willing to kill to get it.

EXAMPLE E: New Mutants 98. 9.6 sells for the same price as your garden variety "Charmin," 9.8 sells for $200 to $250, and 9.9? Yes, whatever ungodly amount of money, blah, blah, blah.

THIS is the lesson that should be discussed. Comics are worth more (significantly more) as their condition increases. How much a book increases in value depends on: individual taste x popularity/demand for a particular issue x scarcity of the issue x popularity of the character x key "event" in an issue x CGC grade (PGX and other company's -- because of their lack of discipline -- doesn't count, unfortunately) x scarcity of CGC grade x luck (knowing of the auction, being in the country to bid for the auction, when other people are NOT aware of the auction, etc.) x [insert whatever variable I'm missing here, please]. Good luck figuring the math out. Please email me when you have.

The idea of "pressing," getting screwed, spending too much, etc. is irrelevant. The "possibilities" of how/why this book is no different from 9.8s is moot. Indeed, outside of the case, it's worthless and I would be a complete fool for cracking it open. For starters, I'd instantly be out $12,500. But, thankfully it's still in the case and graded by CGC. CGC, while not perfect, is perfectly objective. At some point, on some day, three CGC employees agreed this book deserves a 9.9 and they assiged this particular book the grade 9.9, and they did not give this grade to any of the previous 9.8s. Yes, the "label" makes the value and not the book itself. Why? Because it's not me, Moose, Tommy Boy, Ricky, The Sperminator, or any other "board" member assigning the grade after we've "pressed" the out of the book. It's CGC, the industry bible. Is the grade a mistake? Maybe. Fluke? Perhaps. Will other high grade books "come forward?" Probably. But even with others -- or even a perfect 10 -- the odds of landing this issue, in this objectively graded condition by industry experts who are presently recognized as "The Authority" on comic book condition, is astronomically remote. The only difference would be that now someone else would have another extremely rare -- and valuable -- high grade comic.

The lessons for the high grade collector? 1) Exponential Value Theory means that the price of the "one grade below" has NOTHING to do with the price of the book "one grade above." 2) Valuing a comic is a complicated process that consists of many many variables and you'd better be aware of them before you buy (or sell). 3) ANYONE spending more than cover price on a comic is spending more money than the average Kenyan earns in a day. And 4) if you find a super high grade "popular" book with few others listed on the CGC census, act immediately, or lose the book (and be prepared to give your left nut for the book you want -- I, by the way, am now sans ballz).

Thus endeth the lesson.

FYI... Pedigree cashed the check today.

One of the true classic posts EVA!!!

Would love to hear his thoughts now.

:blahblah:

I already have a degree in Economics. Therefore, I did not read this well thought out post.

I already have a degree in Economics. Therefore, I did not read this well thought out post.

Too bad. Those of us that bothered to read it were taught a really good lesson.

Too bad. Those of us that bothered to read it were taught a really good lesson.

Actually, I just don't read the fing's posts.

No food allergies at all.

Used to have seasonal-type allergies when I was much younger. But, they kinda just disappeared as I got older.

The reason I ask is because of Oral Allergy Syndrome(OAS). No, not what your wife accuses you of having in the bedroom, but rather an crossover allergy that occurs due to the body's immune system being in overdrive.

I have severe allergies, grass, pollen, etc. When the season was changing and the cars were covered in green pollen, I was at my worst. I ate an apple and my throat closed. An Epi Pen later, I was diagnosed as having OAS.