• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Respond to This? UPDATE - Seller Response

60 posts in this topic

You started off great:

"This book arrived with cracks along the top and bottom of both sides of the case."

But then you invited controversy with: "almost certainly because of you sending it in an envelope rather than a box.”

There is no reason to speculate on how the cracks got there, or point the finger at the seller and tell him how much of an idjit he is because he didn't pack right. (of course we know he is an idjit after seeing his replies) Just take the high road and go with: "It will cost me $X to replace the cracked slab, in order to return the item to the advertised condition. As is, the product is "not as described" in eBay terms. How would you like to handle this?"

Make sure you include your shipping costs in $X.

Then if he comes across with the same idjitness.

Open a buyer protection case for item not as described.

Return book or come to a compromise.

Neg and 1 star.

You can still go with the "It will cost me ...." and proceed from there.

For any seller customer service should always priority one! In the past, I listed comic books on eBay with international shipping set at $25.00, but then find out a shipment to England is actually $56.00 Canadian! Yes it’s a huge loss, but in the end to get insurance and tracking that is the cost of doing business.

This seller put the package at risk without even advising it would be placed in an envelope if the winner decides on the cheaper shipping cost. At the very least he could have sent a message asking which method you prefer and if you choose the more expensive method the expense would be X dollars more. At least you then have a choice to either not complete the transaction due to misrepresentation or pay the extra for proper shipping.

The only way sellers learn from mistakes when they don't want to resolve the matter amicable is to leave negative feedback. At least when shipments go wrong the seller should offer some sort of reconciliation.

I make mistakes on eBay and I fix them. I don't cae if it's my fault or not, if someone bought from me and they're not happy, it's up to me to make them happy. I send bomb-proof, and it costs me, but I charge the bare minimum and eat the difference.

I wish others took as much pride in their efforts...

James

I’m completely with you. Just two weeks ago I noticed cracks in the cases of some books I sold as I was packaging them to ship, I advertised them as perfect condition. I offered each buyer free shipping and a significant discount because of the difficulty or a cancelling of the transaction because of my error.

I MAY have broke even factoring in the cost of grading with the books original prices by offering those discounts (I doubt it), but it seemed more than fair because it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure the items arrive as advertised.

You started off great:

"This book arrived with cracks along the top and bottom of both sides of the case."

But then you invited controversy with: "almost certainly because of you sending it in an envelope rather than a box.”

I appreciate your point and perhaps I could have done better. The comment was not be speculative but to invite the conversation as to 1. Why one would think flimsy shipping materials are appropriate for fragile (and costly) items? & 2. Invite the opportunity for discussion as to whether such damage already existed when the item was listed (in which case the item is “not as advertised”) or if it was in fact perfect in his possession and occurred during shipping.

Stuff happens, I get it. It’s a bummer and you work through it. My points of contention are his refusal to even acknowledge that he’s on the hook for not holding up his end of the bargain as far as ensuring an item arrives as advertised, followed by his outright defiance arguing in favor of something that cannot truly be deemed as an appropriate method of shipping fragile items under any circumstances.

As previously mentioned, I’ve had a difficult time maintaining a cool head to simply not react out of spite (hence this question posting to help me keep an objective view of the situation) but just writing the previous two paragraphs and rehashing it all is already winding me back up. :frustrated:

Just take the high road and go with: "It will cost me $X to replace the cracked slab, in order to return the item to the advertised condition. As is, the product is "not as described" in eBay terms. How would you like to handle this?"

Make sure you include your shipping costs in $X.

Then if he comes across with the same idjitness.

Open a buyer protection case for item not as described.

Return book or come to a compromise.

Neg and 1 star.

You can still go with the "It will cost me ...." and proceed from there.

As an update, I have gone this route and mentioned all remaining points you cover in my case submission. Still holding off on the feedback, depending on how it all plays out I might make his day and leave no comment at all or possibly just a neutral rating.

Much appreciation to the community for all the input here (worship) as well as the PM’s sharing similar experiences and a lot of just really funny “suggestions” of how I should handle this. :roflmao:

Without his comments - Negative, 1 star and never bid again.

With his comments - Negative, 1 star, open a dispute with eBay "item not as described" and never bid again.

I make mistakes on eBay and I fix them. I don't cae if it's my fault or not, if someone bought from me and they're not happy, it's up to me to make them happy. I send bomb-proof, and it costs me, but I charge the bare minimum and eat the difference.

I wish others took as much pride in their efforts...

James

:applause:

That didn't take long.

I got a response to the case I opened with an offer of $12 refund and the following 'sellers response.'

"I would like to note that I did not refuse to take responsibility for the situation. I simply noted that I made the shipping choice based on my experience receiving CGC items in a similar manner, and had no reason to believe it was insufficient. Also, at no point in our correspondence did you request any restitution or request to return the item. In fact you expressed you were "very glad to hear" the conclusion I came to in our correspondence. It costs $12 to have the item re-cased by CGC so I am issuing that partial refund, in spite of the buyers rude correspondence."

I realize a lot of tone can be lost in the written word (including sarcasm since I was "very glad to hear" my damaged item would help others), but in what world do you go to any selling entity with a damaged item, get every excuse and run-around avoiding any such offer of responsibility, return or refund (be it partial or whole) and not conclude that you aren’t being helped? Have I missed something?

Never in any experience in my life have I walked into a store, called a customer service line or sent an email (at least until now) with a broken/damaged item in my hand and not immediately been offered and exchange or some form of compensation for the item itself and the experience as a whole, that to me is taking responsibility.

At this point I'm really hoping that there is something wrong with my perception of the situation because I'd like to believe that I haven't done anything karma-worthy of this experience and subsequent treatment.

I'm feeling a sudden need to change my name to Dr. Banner because I'm getting very angry again . . .

hulk_banner.jpg

"I would like to note that I did not refuse to take responsibility for the situation. I simply noted that I made the shipping choice based on my experience receiving CGC items in a similar manner, and had no reason to believe it was insufficient. Also, at no point in our correspondence did you request any restitution or request to return the item. In fact you expressed you were "very glad to hear" the conclusion I came to in our correspondence. It costs $12 to have the item re-cased by CGC so I am issuing that partial refund, in spite of the buyers rude correspondence."

Wow, he really should have edited himself on that.

I wouldn't accept his $12 refund and I'd send the item back and get a full refund. It will cost you over $30 shipping (there and back) + the $12 reholdering fee to get book back to par.

And ps...Jimmy Lingu...whatever is a complete pompus @ss

Happy Father's Day RMA!

I wouldn't accept his $12 refund and I'd send the item back and get a full refund. It will cost you over $30 shipping (there and back) + the $12 reholdering fee to get book back to par.

Happy Father's Day RMA!

:banana:

Happy Father's Day RMA!

+1

Yeah, unless you are already sending books the cost to reholder is more than $12 once you factor in the shipping. Also, CGC will no longer reholder during onsight grading.

I think if you are upset about a transaction you should leave negative feedback.

that way other buyers know the seller is bad business.

six page thread for negative feedback and I'm the bad guy for saying do it already and stop talking about it. classic.

I think if you are upset about a transaction you should leave negative feedback.

six page thread for negative feedback and I'm the bad guy for saying do it already and stop talking about it. classic.

Daddy did always love you the best

Happy Father's Day RMA!

+1

And of course HFD!

Children do tend to screw you over.....but I don't think the phrase was ever meant to be taken literally.

Children do tend to screw you over.....but I don't think the phrase was ever meant to be taken literally.

lol

As soon as an auction ends, I always send the seller an e-mail through E-Bay and Pay Pal that they please send the CGC book in a well-padded box so that the case does not crack. 99% of them then send it in a box.

Never assume they are sending it in a box if the auction does not state it and you do not ask for it to be sent in a box, especially when the stated shipping cost is less than it should cost to send a CGC book in a box.

I would ask the seller for either a full or a partial refund to cover the costs of re-holdering. If he refuses, then Neg him. That'll teach him.

leaving negative feedback on ebay should not be a "give me money or I'll give you negative feedback" situation. That defeats the purpose of the feedback system.

You are right that nobody should use the threat of a neg as a wedge to get something. That's called feedback extortion and eBay will side against you automatically.

The problem on both sides (seller and buyer) often begins with a person having a lack of humility about the situation. This leads to the other side becoming defensive and then tensions are raised and trust is lowered. As a seller I really hate it when the communication starts off with the buyer insinuating or accusing me of purposely having bad faith. (Not that this happened here.)