• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I agree.

Some people are acting childish. The act of giving is supposed to be free and willing, not forced.

I'd say that it's not unreasonable to give someone 24 hours (or whatever it is) to throw something up - people need to take pics, load scans, dig stuff up, etc..

+1

Some members have very large collections, and having the inventory memorized or having it accessible 24/7 is asking a lot. Sometimes just knowing what you have isn't enough to decide what you'll offer. When I was up at bat (just twice) I had several choices to offer, but as I gathered them together I still found myself looking at each one in hand trying to choose which to part with. TheMightyJohn obviously had something very cool in mind to offer. Our loss (this time).

FWIW I think international shipping should be split unless the person offering it doesn't mind eating it. Either way it should be mentioned (as it was here).

I agree that this shoud be fun and obviously we upset TheMightyJohn, however the content of his post, before it was edited, was still in very bad taste.

To try and get this thing back on track, I'll pay the shipping for the current offer, regardless of where it's going. :foryou:

To try and get this thing back on track, I'll pay the shipping for the current offer, regardless of where it's going. :foryou:

Now that's what it's all about.

:headbang:

+1

Very cool.

I also think we should be allowed UP TO 48 hours to make an offer. What's the rush? If an offer can be made sooner, then great! Some of us are very busy and have many reasons we can't always whip out an offer. I work a 2 days on- 2 days off schedule but they're 12 extremely physical hour days. Some to the point of exhaustion. If I don't feel like digging through boxes when I get home, then I'm not going to. I'm sure others have their own reasons.

Everyone seems to agree that the main message of this thread is "have fun". Does it have to be "have fun NOW"?

+1

Very cool.

I also think we should be allowed UP TO 48 hours to make an offer. What's the rush? If an offer can be made sooner, then great! Some of us are very busy and have many reasons we can't always whip out an offer. I work a 2 days on- 2 days off schedule but they're 12 extremely physical hour days. Some to the point of exhaustion. If I don't feel like digging through boxes when I get home, then I'm not going to. I'm sure others have their own reasons.

Everyone seems to agree that the main message of this thread is "have fun". Does it have to be "have fun NOW"?

The rules are public and no one is forcing anyone to claim anything. The idea is to let the most people have the most fun I think.

no shipping to Canada even? aren't we considered to be the 51st state?

From my experience, you never want to force a person to ship something somewhere they don't want to ship or don't want to pay to ship properly. That's how you end up with a book inside an envelope with nothing but a backing board to protect it as it travels thousands of miles as it slowly transforms from comic book into accordion.

It's better, in a thread like this, that people suck it up and ship anywhere (and the person who claimed the item agree to do the same) or they don't participate. Excluding people is the fastest way to turn a "feel good" thread into a "feel bad" thread.

Not speaking for the OP but I'm pretty sure what this thread has become isn't exactly what he had in mind for a Pay it Forward idea. The constant badgering of forum members to get their items up & to switch out their items if they aren't snatched up immediately.

I came in about a month ago to throw some trades on & was quickly turned off by the comments made to different posters. Early on this thread had a real random act of kindness type feel, but that's changed dramatically over the last few months.

I agree.

Some people are acting childish. The act of giving is supposed to be free and willing, not forced.

I'd say that it's not unreasonable to give someone 24 hours (or whatever it is) to throw something up - people need to take pics, load scans, dig stuff up, etc.

Let's not turn this thread into what Christmas now is for a lot of people and make it a forced charity. That's not what Pay It Forward is about.

You're right, this thread is about the birth of Jesus.

From my experience, you never want to force a person to ship something somewhere they don't want to ship or don't want to pay to ship properly. That's how you end up with a book inside an envelope with nothing but a backing board to protect it as it travels thousands of miles as it slowly transforms from comic book into accordion.

It's better, in a thread like this, that people suck it up and ship anywhere (and the person who claimed the item agree to do the same) or they don't participate. Excluding people is the fastest way to turn a "feel good" thread into a "feel bad" thread.

Not speaking for the OP but I'm pretty sure what this thread has become isn't exactly what he had in mind for a Pay it Forward idea. The constant badgering of forum members to get their items up & to switch out their items if they aren't snatched up immediately.

I came in about a month ago to throw some trades on & was quickly turned off by the comments made to different posters. Early on this thread had a real random act of kindness type feel, but that's changed dramatically over the last few months.

I agree.

I'd say that it's not unreasonable to give someone 24 hours (or whatever it is) to throw something up - people need to take pics, load scans, dig stuff up, etc.

Let's not turn this thread into what Christmas now is for a lot of people and make it a forced charity. That's not what Pay It Forward is about.

I'm fairly sure that what's going on here has nothing to do with Christmas. Especially the 'airing of grievances'.

festivus-pole.png

I agree.

I'm fairly sure that what's going on here has nothing to do with Christmas. Especially the 'airing of grievances'.

festivus-pole.png

Fingh nailed it earlier...

It is an insult to the concept of Paying things forward. It should be called "Calling all malcontents! Let's swap junk!"

I agree that "taking" an item before it's listed shoudn't be permitted, so I'll change the original post.

Let's keep the "giving" spirit going and let the arguing take a back burner. I would hate for the thread to be removed or derailed for any reason.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to everyone!

festivus-pole.png

My post really had nothing to do with Jesus. He wasn't born on the 25th anyway. Everybody knows that. :baiting:

It was just meant to imply that giving should be cheerful and fun and not commercialized or hard work.

I was planning to offer a sketch from one of my dc clients but that wont be happening this time. Offering 3 sketch variants instead. Ill do the sketch next time around.

Oh an no I will not ship outside of the US.

IMG_0291.jpg

photo hosting sites

Since everyone felt the need to have a 5 page conversation in this thread, I thought I would repost the current offer so that we can get back on track.