• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

The problem I have is that "interest" is completely subjective. I've put up plenty of offers in the past that I was sure would be of interest to people, only to have them be completely ignored. On the other hand, people have asked specifically for things that I wouldn't have thought any sane person on Earth would actually want, like Darkhawk. hm

I agree that people should change up their offers once it becomes clear that nobody is interested in the current offer, but I don't think there should be anything in the rules saying the books have to be of interest to people. Everything is of interest to somebody. Just because nobody currently participating in the thread wants to claim an offer doesn't mean it's a bad offer. For the same reason I don't think value should be a guideline either - just because something is more valuable doesn't mean it's more interesting.

The way to get things moving faster is to get more people participating, with a broader range of interests. But the more rules we have, the more I think we encourage people to stay away, thereby shooting ourselves in the foot.

It's free comics, people! How can any offer be bad?

The problem I have is that "interest" is completely subjective. I've put up plenty of offers in the past that I was sure would be of interest to people, only to have them be completely ignored. On the other hand, people have asked specifically for things that I wouldn't have thought any sane person on Earth would actually want, like Darkhawk. hm

I agree that people should change up their offers once it becomes clear that nobody is interested in the current offer, but I don't think there should be anything in the rules saying the books have to be of interest to people. Everything is of interest to somebody. Just because nobody currently participating in the thread wants to claim an offer doesn't mean it's a bad offer. For the same reason I don't think value should be a guideline either - just because something is more valuable doesn't mean it's more interesting.

The way to get things moving faster is to get more people participating, with a broader range of interests. But the more rules we have, the more I think we encourage people to stay away, thereby shooting ourselves in the foot.

It's free comics, people! How can any offer be bad?

Yep totally agree - best way to gauge interest is keep an eye on it and if nothing is happening for a bit, try and switch it up.

Smart stuff.

Exactly this. I'm not seeing anybody who has let an offer stagnate in this thread. A few days on an offer is fine. Not everyone logs in on a daily basis and giving time for the right interest to see an offer is perfectly fine.

If you are antsy to participate claim something. It is really that simple.

yes interest, value was probably a poor term...offer an item that may have interest to the pay it forward lurkers...especially if someone offered a signed slab and you're trying to unload some of your $1 stock. Now as long as you're 'switching it up' in a somewhat snappy fashion that's cool.

I think when some say 'wow cool stuff, that may be great for someone, just not me"...and it goes like that over and over it may delude the offerer into assuming that his items may be interesting when in fact they're not and some may just be overly kind in their assessment.

No slight on anyone in particular just commenting

fun thread to read regardless...

I wouldn't have thought any sane person on Earth would actually want, like Darkhawk. hm

:mad:

Darkhawk is awesome...

To the topic at hand, I wasn't exclusively referring to monetary value. Interest is a gauge of value to any collector, that falls into the "value" category I was referencing.

With that said, it should be common sense that you don't claim a really great offer and then post .25 bin material that no one wants. You should be giving at the level you receive. Unfortunately, that's not clear to some, hence the push to make the rules reflect some recognition of posting items that draw interest (or have value to fellow collectors).

No slight on anyone in particular just commenting

fun thread to read regardless...

Likewise, I'm also not singling anyone out.

I enjoy this thread, but I think we can make it better.

especially if someone offered a signed slab and you're trying to unload some of your $1 stock.

With that said, it should be common sense that you don't claim a really great offer and then post .25 bin material that no one wants. You should be giving at the level you receive.

These are both value statements that have nothing to do with interest.

We can stop flooding this thread with this talk though. If anyone cares to offer their opinion on the on going activity in the thread that isn't to their liking, feel free to PM me. I'll gladly volunteer as a conduit for your angst.

Until then, this is the current offer for those interested:

Here is a signed raw copy of Marvel Fanfare #3 Signed by Mr. Bob McLeod, At the New York Comic Con last year.

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

especially if someone offered a signed slab and you're trying to unload some of your $1 stock.

With that said, it should be common sense that you don't claim a really great offer and then post .25 bin material that no one wants. You should be giving at the level you receive.

These are both value statements that have nothing to do with interest.

We can stop flooding this thread with this talk though. If anyone cares to offer their opinion on the on going activity in the thread that isn't to their liking, feel free to PM me. I'll gladly volunteer as a conduit for your angst.

No angst Mr. Wiggles. I'll address this here, make it pretty simple and move along.

If you claim an offer, be prepared to offer a item(s) of similar interest/quality. That should be fairly obvious and I'm perplexed anyone has an issue with that.

The current offer is:

Here is a signed raw copy of Marvel Fanfare #3 Signed by Mr. Bob McLeod, At the New York Comic Con last year.

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

I really don't think dismissing the conversation is the answer. :shrug:

I think the rule of not discussing value is a good thing, however, it isn't really in the spirit of the thread to post an offer that isn't worth shipping. Especially with the rising costs of postal services.

I lurk this thread, it's almost a hobby in itself. People have offered items with literally zero "value" some go, some don't. It shouldn't take a week to realize which an offer is.

Darkhawk rocks...I think that's the first comic I bought 100 copies of...something about that cover...all those angles

:cloud9:

:headbang:

I also can't explain why I like that book so much, but I know I do. It's the only comic I actively hoard. Smart buy on 100 copies if you still have them. It's been climbing in price on ebay and 9.8s of #1 are closing at around $150.

If I started this conversation certain folks would be along promptly to point out how much of a piece of mess I am.

You're a piece of mess. :baiting:

Well when you're right you're right. But you don't have to point it out. Your from WI so it's ok though. Go Pack.

If I started this conversation certain folks would be along promptly to point out how much of a piece of mess I am.

You're a piece of mess. :baiting:

Well when you're right you're right. But you don't have to point it out. Your from WI so it's ok though. Go Pack.

lol

I didn't want you to feel left out.

Still reading the complete New Avengers run that you sent me via this thread. :banana:

It can be a challenge to "match" an offer you accepted - I have accepted a couple of offers on here and I have had to switch up my own offers.

The 'value' was there, at least from the perspective of how much I initially paid for things being offered but as there were no takers, I had to switch it up until I found a taker.

I don't think that $ value should be the main issue but rather "common sense" and a sense of "fair play" should be taken into account when accepting and making offers.

It can be a challenge to "match" an offer you accepted - I have accepted a couple of offers on here and I have had to switch up my own offers.

The 'value' was there, at least from the perspective of how much I initially paid for things being offered but as there were no takers, I had to switch it up until I found a taker.

I don't think that $ value should be the main issue but rather "common sense" and a sense of "fair play" should be taken into account when accepting and making offers.

Very well stated Wall-Crawler. That's exactly the point I'm trying to make.