• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

Does this really need to be repeated so often?

Panties in a bunch? Someone asked why MOS 18 was popular.

Answer: Doomsday = possible movie = hype = book is expensive.

No on is dishing on the value of the offer or anything like that, one is trying to find out why MOS is a good book to be offering which if you ask me is a good offer.

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

I don't really see the current discussion as breaking that rule. It was more of a tangent on what those death of superman could be worth and/or would be worth in graded 9.8 form. The discussion isn't about the current value of the actual offer.

RULES:

I don't really see the current discussion as breaking that rule. It was more of a tangent on what those death of superman could be worth and/or would be worth in graded 9.8 form. The discussion isn't about the current value of the actual offer.

Discussing the value of a book that is currently being offered is exactly what is happending:

:gossip: the 90 day average for the MOS 18 is $145

(not directed at you, tech) Just don't discuss value. It's really easy.

but the current offer isn't a cgc graded 9.8 MOS 18.

The values of a CGC 9.8 do (usually, not always) have some correlation to a lesser graded copy.

If I know a comic is worth $90K in CGC 9.8, I can probably do that math and figure out that a raw VF is worth more than $100.

So a discussion of value of the CGC 9.8 version of the current offer I think doesn't seem appropriate.

And not every graded MOS 18 sells for the same exact price so, technically, you can never actually discuss value of an item because the recent sold examples are not the specific item being offered. Or, if it was a graded 9.8 MOS 18, the certification number would be different and therefore not the same book too - right?

Splitting hairs doesn't remove the fact that the value of a currently offered book is being discussed. Talk about hype, low print, scarcity, popularity, specific artists/writers, story arcs, etc... We don't have rules against any of those conversations. We have a rule against discussing value.

If someone wants to know the value of an offer currently on the block, they're going to just go look it up themselves. The spirit of the rule, I think, is to not belittle someone for making an offer that may be viewed as low value.

That isn't what's happening here. People aren't addressing the value of the actual book being offered. They're talking about the peak value of that book in general. I don't see this as an issue, because it doesn't violate the spirit of the rule and it's not addressing the value of the actual book being offered.

I don't think it's splitting hairs at all. Without the harassment element and that the value of the actual book being offered not being discussed, it's apples and oranges.

Comparing an interpretation (the "spirit") of a rule and the actual rule is apples and oranges.

Don't discuss value. We all agree to the rules to participate in the thread. Not discussing value is a rule.

Here it is again:

RULES:

Sigh... Ok I was trying to make you understand why it doesn't matter but the fact of the matter is this. The value of the books being offered weren't under discussion, they were discussing the value of a CGC 9.8 version of the book, which isn't being offered.

You're wrong, I'm right, the end.

Comparing an interpretation (the "spirit") of a rule and the actual rule is apples and oranges.

Don't discuss value. We all agree to the rules to participate in the thread. Not discussing value is a rule.

Here it is again:

RULES:

If we follow your logic, and only agree to follow the rules in the strictest sense, then we can talk up and down about value if anything other than a book is being offered.

Offer an action figure, it's ok to talk about value. Offer a gift card, it's ok to talk about value. Offer a mystery box, it's ok to ask what the value of the goods will be. You get the idea.

Personally, I think that the rules are great, but that they definitely have a spirit to them, and if that isn't being violated, it's all good.

Sigh... Ok I was trying to make you understand why it doesn't matter but the fact of the matter is this. The value of the books being offered weren't under discussion, they were discussing the value of a CGC 9.8 version of the book, which isn't being offered.

You're wrong, I'm right, the end.

+10000000000000000000

Here it is again:

RULES:

If we follow your logic, and only agree to follow the rules in the strictest sense, then we can talk up and down about value if anything other than a book is being offered.

Offer an action figure, it's ok to talk about value. Offer a gift card, it's ok to talk about value. Offer a mystery box, it's ok to ask what the value of the goods will be. You get the idea.

Personally, I think that the rules are great, but that they definitely have a spirit to them, and if that isn't being violated, it's all good.

:o

Rebuttal?

This thread is worse than an Ozark's swap meet.

Wow, it's like the junk donkey cristicsm was a premonition.

I sometimes wonder.

It was my fault assuming reading comprehension was a thing we all possessed (you know, things required to use a forum). My bad.

This thread is worse than an Ozark's swap meet.

Wow, it's like the junk donkey cristicsm was a premonition.

I sometimes wonder.

It was my fault assuming reading comprehension was a thing we all possessed (you know, things required to use a forum). My bad.

Jesus Christ on a crutch.

Where's the reading comprehension fail at? The rule says not to discuss the value of the books being offered. The book being offered wasn't discussed. I suppose when you purchase a book from a dealer that's ungraded and in VF condition and they want to charge you graded 9.8 prices you just hand over the money, I mean that's the books value after all?