• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I am going to load up a beginning offer and from time to time (probably at least a couple times a day) I am going to add a comic(s) to the offer. You can wait and the offer gets bigger, :headbang:

however someone else may grab it from you because you waited too long! :pullhair:

Free media mail ship in US, $15 towards international shipping.

let's start off with some great artists:

alex ross - SUPERMAN PEACE ON EARTH - this is a larger tabloid size book

and

dave stevens - Jonny Quest 5 (Nearmint) who knew jezebel jade's secret id was betty?

SMPOE_zps3e0e423e.jpg

jonnyquest_zps6e5b352e.jpg

adding on now!

How about some neal Adams goodness

Batman 224

batman_zps091d0af8.jpg

and tradepaperback featuring some great golden age Planet Comics stories, some b/w and some in color - golden age greatness!

batmanplanet_zpse611ed1e.jpg

ok, now you can go back to discussing old posts and ignoring my offering, however it will get to the point where my offering will not be ignored - after a year someone will want a few hundred comics no matter what they are :grin:

Also, my kudos to the person that did this originally on the PIF thread, this is not an original idea I came up with. Adding a book or so at a time until the offer cannot be resisted! And you add a book regularly, not after days.

Putting the Fun back in PIF, wait... what do you mean the F does not stand for Fun?

Wow, that was quite the weekend I missed.

Pretty much what I was thinking too....

You know, you can never please everybody but if you want to you could start multiple Pay it forward threads. Hear me out on this. Leave this one intact and the way it is for people to participate in an open forum with loose guidelines. It has worked for all this time, just with some occassional as they say butthurt. Start a "premium" pay it forward that has a minimum value attached to it of $50 as determined by either GPA, Overstreet, or recent Ebay/forum sales. In order to claim you have to be a member in good standing, have 500 or more posts, and can only make a claim once in a week. This might not fly at all and then again it might be just what a lot of people are looking for based on the value portion. Obviously I'm just putting ideas out there and none of this is set in stone but once something like this is set up the people in this thread won't necessarily have to worry so much about the value as they do the read.

I dunno, just tired of all the arguing.

That might actually attract more individuals to this thread.

Set a perceived value upper limit per offer here of say $50 and start a companion thread with a perceived value of $50 and higher and let those who want to PIF large stacks of comics or large lots of tpbs or slabs or original art...

PIF the higher value stuff to their hearts content.

I'd be more inclined to participate/offer up stuff if I didn't have to worry about "worthiness" of my offers.

Jerro

It would be interesting to see how participation would change with a value floor like that - if more people would visit for "higher end" goodies, or if less might because it can be harder to give away more valuable items. Though, we've seen plenty of stuff here that would qualify so it might be worth a shot. Can always dump it if it doesn't work

I had an idea for a new trading thread and I was discussing it with a few people via PM's the last couple of days. I wanted to get some of their feedback first before I offered up the idea. It needs some details ironed out but here's the gist of what I was thinking.

The Trader - A Comic Swap Thread

'The Trader' is a comic swap thread concept I've been playing around with. Here's my initial thoughts on how it could work.

A forum member (we'll call him 'The Trader') offers up comics and comic related swag for trade. Once a trade is up for offer, any/all other members can offer something in return if they're interested in the item. 'The Trader' has to select one of the offers within 24 hours or he gets bumped.

If 'The Trader' selects an offer, he ships his item to the offerer and the offerer ships his item to 'The Trader'. At that point the member who won the trade now becomes 'The Trader' and offers up something for trade. Members can start making trade offers against that item and the cycle repeats itself.

Should 'The Trader' not select an offer because he doesn't like any of them or if no offers are made, within 24 hours, 'The Trader' gets bumped and the anyone else can now make a post and assume the role of 'The Trader'.

The concept of this thread is to give people the chance to trade items of any value and receive items they feel match or exceed that value.

The Trader Rules

1.) You must not be on the HOS list or be in poor standing on the board.

2.) You must have at least 100 posts and have been a board member for 3 month.

3.) If your offer is selected by the current 'Trader' you become the new 'Trader' and must post your item within 24 hours.

4.) ... I'm sure more rules are needed

5.) ... I'm sure more rules are needed

6.) ... I'm sure more rules are needed

I think this is an even more dangerous game to play because there will be lots of items 'on the border', which will be in dispute.

People will dispute whether something qualifies and ultimately become angry.

There are millions of comics that are OSPG above $50 that could not be sold for $50, and millions of SS slabs that cost $50 to get signed that due to low grades could not be sold for that price. ANd those are just two VERY basic examples. THe reason this thread does not allow for 'discussion of value' is because 'discussion' will invariably lead to arguments. What if something is worth only $40 but someone claims it immediately? What if I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and overpaid for a slabbed X-Force #1 and have the receipt to prove what I paid?

I know that this thread ain't perfect (what thread is?), but when you start assigning values, it will end badly. It becomes about something more than giving (which already happens here sometimes), but imagine when set values are involved...

UPDATED!! 2:45 PM

I am going to load up a beginning offer and from time to time (probably at least a couple times a day) I am going to add a comic(s) to the offer. You can wait and the offer gets bigger, :headbang:

however someone else may grab it from you because you waited too long! :pullhair:

Here is what is up so far:

ALEX ROSS - SUPERMAN PEACE ON EARTH - this is a larger tabloid size book

SMPOE_zps3e0e423e.jpg

and

DAVE STEVENS - Jonny Quest 5 (Nearmint) who knew jezebel jade's secret id was betty?

How about some NEAL ADAMS goodness

Batman 224

batman_zps091d0af8.jpg

and tradepaperback featuring some great golden age Planet Comics stories, some b/w and some in color - golden age greatness!

There is a MATT BAKER story along with other greats

batmanplanet_zpse611ed1e.jpg

and now let's add another trade 2:45 PM

WALT KELLY - Walt Kelly's Santa Claus Adventures

santa_zps0afbcc90.jpg

so far there is Alex Ross, Dave Stevens, Neal Adams, Matt Baker and Walt Kelly. I don't have much in the way of the last 10 years in comics so there is not going to be hot new artists, sorry. However, I will continue to add, and maybe there will be some popcorn soon.

I think this is an even more dangerous game to play because there will be lots of items 'on the border', which will be in dispute.

There are millions of comics that are OSPG above $50 that could not be sold for $50, and millions of SS slabs that cost $50 to get signed that due to low grades could not be sold for that price. ANd those are just two VERY basic examples. THe reason this thread does not allow for 'discussion of value' is because 'discussion' will invariably lead to arguments. What if something is worth only $40 but someone claims it immediately? What if I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and overpaid for a slabbed X-Force #1 and have the receipt to prove what I paid?

I know that this thread ain't perfect (what thread is?), but when you start assigning values, it will end badly. It becomes about something more than giving (which already happens here sometimes), but imagine when set values are involved...

I'm not arguing your points AT ALL but you have to admit that the value discussion has already come into many of the PIFs that have seen these very pages. These arguements are going to be made most likely in any transaction such as this, all I'm doing is suggesting those that are here just for the monetary value be given another thread to go argue about it back and forth and let this one continue on using its original structure. In all honesty I would continue to view this AND the premium thread.

just to be clear - thsi is the PIF that is now offered and available

UPDATED!! 2:45 PM

Here is what is up so far:

ALEX ROSS - SUPERMAN PEACE ON EARTH - this is a larger tabloid size book

SMPOE_zps3e0e423e.jpg

and

DAVE STEVENS - Jonny Quest 5 (Nearmint) who knew jezebel jade's secret id was betty?

How about some NEAL ADAMS goodness

Batman 224

batman_zps091d0af8.jpg

There is a MATT BAKER story along with other greats

batmanplane_zps3c3fbf37.jpg

and now let's add another trade 2:45 PM

WALT KELLY - Walt Kelly's Santa Claus Adventures

santa_zpsfe87309a.jpg

so far there is Alex Ross, Dave Stevens, Neal Adams, Matt Baker and Walt Kelly. I don't have much in the way of the last 10 years in comics so there is not going to be hot new artists, sorry. However, I will continue to add, and maybe there will be some popcorn soon.

I'm not arguing your points AT ALL but you have to admit that the value discussion has already come into many of the PIFs that have seen these very pages. These arguements are going to be made most likely in any transaction such as this, all I'm doing is suggesting those that are here just for the monetary value be given another thread to go argue about it back and forth and let this one continue on using its original structure. In all honesty I would continue to view this AND the premium thread.

I don't disagree with your point at all, which I perceive to be this:

There are many people who frequent the PIF thread who seem to be concerned with 'perceived value' MORE than the joy of giving/receiving. And you are suggesting that perhaps a separate thread with 'that spirit' be started to accommodate those folks. I don't disagree that it makes sense in theory, I just happen to believe that it will end very very badly very very quickly.

I think this thread runs for the most part very smoothly because the vast majority are coming from a 'generous' place. With the thread you propose, I think it will be 'tougher' to keep people feeling 'generous'. But I could be wrong, maybe I'm a pessimist. [This seems very similar to my argument about the BCS Playoff, where I actually think it will create MORE controversy because even more teams will feel like they got left out of the 3rd and 4th spots, whereas before it was like usually 1 team or less who felt left out of the BCS championship. And IMO there's never been a 3rd place team I thought would have won the championship, don't bring that undefeated 2005 Auburn stuff in here, they simply weren't better than that USC team, and I effing hate USC]

I agree 100% with miraclemet. I try to think that way as well and if I ever post a crappy PIF I encourage someone letting me know. Dang u Valiant, u could have claimed them and saved me my Black Kitties ;). pm me how much u think shipping would be and for u I will accept whatever u want to offer for set. Interested in trade as well :)

PM sent. (thumbs u

Sorry for the Kitties but I was late to the party… :sorry: