• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Omnibus

414 posts in this topic

I have incredibly high hopes for the forth-coming Eternal Warrior series. Put a proper history buff at the helm of that title and don't spend too much time in the present and I will be loving it. That title has a lot of potential to be a great historical fiction series.

He looks like a romulan but I'm going to check out Shadowman...Giving Valiant a 3rd chance to make me care.

You didn't like X-O Manowar #5? :o

Some people just like to hate.

Hate, hate, hate, hate...

(Sorry, I keep thinking of the Hater's ball I think because of Bosco's signature.)

I hate to tell you collector's are much more fickle than readers. You're a collector who is already talking about not buying their product after a few months after their release.

I'm a collector who can't stand any modern comics. The pacing is horrible and wastes my time. They colors are gaudy. The prices are outrageous. The covers give no insight to the contents inside. Most look like a Sears family portrait. Chests are all poked out. The characters all look haughty or brooding. Most modern comics don't even need art to accompany them. It adds nothing to the story other than dragging it out further.

Collectors stick with a title just to have completeness. They'll collect through bad stories and art because they take pride in having a complete set. Collectors have a vested interest in protecting their comics. Readers are far less loyal. A writer or artist can switch to another company and they're gone. I can count 50 comic readers that have abandoned buying comics for every steadfast and dedicated collector I know.

Just enjoy the comics while you have them. Order numbers are dropping with or without variants. They're dropping despite all these hype articles saying they've sold out (yet again... doh!). It's just a matter of time before they get tired of breaking even or taking a loss. The publishing venture isn't even coming close to paying back what they've invested in the rights to the characters or their developments cost.

By eliminating variants and the silly hype, they can look at actual sales numbers and see if the consumers are really increasing or decreasing. They can focus on what needs to be focused upon for lasting success. With the variants, the performance of the stuff between the pages is all masked.

DG

I can respect you have a different view point on this and I can even respect some of what you are saying, but god can you take the negativity elsewhere. If you don't like Valiant don't buy them. If you don't like modern comics don't buy them. Why complain that a company isn't doing something the way you want them to? It isn't your money they are "wasting".

Most of the people here enjoy Valiant. Most even agree they have too many variants, but if you don't like variants don't buy them. Enjoy the regular copies for the stories. If the regular issues are never worth the cover price you paid for them who cares? You are paying for the entertainment not because you think you are going to make money off of them.

This is a public forum and I don't respect the perspective that I should stick a lollypop in my mouth and censor myself. I have no respect for people who whitewash truth, facts and reality and settle for failure and mediocrity. So honestly, my answer is "no".

If you think I'm being negative, I will gladly educate you exactly how negative I CAN be.

If you think I don't have anything positive to say or do in this world. I'm about to give $3500 as a gift to someone in need that does inspire me. I expect nothing back in return. So honestly, I don't care what your opinion is.

I get PAID for my evaluations in the real world and lives actually depend on things I speak up about or ignore. My comments above are advice to the owners. They are CONSTRUCTIVE advice in order to appeal to correct audience that will be necessary for success.

The biggest problem with comics today is kissing and patting everyone on the back for total mediocrity. The industry is filled with creators and publishers that have delusions of adequacy. My respect really wavers towards many modern comic fans because I feel you speak from a standpoint of poor taste and blind ignorance.

DG

I hate to tell you collector's are much more fickle than readers. You're a collector who is already talking about not buying their product after a few months after their release.

I'm a collector who can't stand any modern comics. The pacing is horrible and wastes my time. They colors are gaudy. The prices are outrageous. The covers give no insight to the contents inside. Most look like a Sears family portrait. Chests are all poked out. The characters all look haughty or brooding. Most modern comics don't even need art to accompany them. It adds nothing to the story other than dragging it out further.

Collectors stick with a title just to have completeness. They'll collect through bad stories and art because they take pride in having a complete set. Collectors have a vested interest in protecting their comics. Readers are far less loyal. A writer or artist can switch to another company and they're gone. I can count 50 comic readers that have abandoned buying comics for every steadfast and dedicated collector I know.

Just enjoy the comics while you have them. Order numbers are dropping with or without variants. They're dropping despite all these hype articles saying they've sold out (yet again... doh!). It's just a matter of time before they get tired of breaking even or taking a loss. The publishing venture isn't even coming close to paying back what they've invested in the rights to the characters or their developments cost.

By eliminating variants and the silly hype, they can look at actual sales numbers and see if the consumers are really increasing or decreasing. They can focus on what needs to be focused upon for lasting success. With the variants, the performance of the stuff between the pages is all masked.

DG

I can respect you have a different view point on this and I can even respect some of what you are saying, but god can you take the negativity elsewhere. If you don't like Valiant don't buy them. If you don't like modern comics don't buy them. Why complain that a company isn't doing something the way you want them to? It isn't your money they are "wasting".

Most of the people here enjoy Valiant. Most even agree they have too many variants, but if you don't like variants don't buy them. Enjoy the regular copies for the stories. If the regular issues are never worth the cover price you paid for them who cares? You are paying for the entertainment not because you think you are going to make money off of them.

This is a public forum and I don't respect the perspective that I should stick a lollypop in my mouth and censor myself. I have no respect for people who whitewash truth, facts and reality and settle for failure and mediocrity. So honestly, my answer is "no".

If you think I'm being negative, I will gladly educate you exactly how negative I CAN be.

If you think I don't have anything positive to say or do in this world. I'm about to give $3500 as a gift to someone in need that does inspire me. I expect nothing back in return. So honestly, I don't care what your opinion is.

I get PAID for my evaluations in the real world and lives actually depend on things I speak up about or ignore. My comments above are advice to the owners. They are CONSTRUCTIVE advice in order to appeal to correct audience that will be necessary for success.

The biggest problem with comics today is kissing and patting everyone on the back for total mediocrity. The industry is filled with creators and publishers that have delusions of adequacy. My respect really wavers towards many modern comic fans because I feel you speak from a standpoint of poor taste and blind ignorance.

DG

Enjoy the forums! They are yours for viewing and joining in. (thumbs u

Andy

I try not to hate. I love the characters but I bought XO 1, read 2 and 3 in about 10 minutes standing in the store. I dont like the simple traced looking artwork and the story is so slow...hardly anything happens in each issue.

I read Harbinger 1 and didnt like it at all.

I flipped through Bloodshot and wasnt into it. The preview of Archer and Armstrong was terrible. It didnt hold a candle to the original BWS issues.

Honestly I feel like I'm giving them plenty of chances to interest me. Its just not working for me.

Just because I dont like something doesnt make me a hater. I just expect a lot more from a company called Valiant.

Shadowman is probably the last book I will check out if it is the same as the rest of the books so far.

All in all I think I really miss Magnus and Solar...All around I just feel like there is something missing and maybe its them.

dgarthwaite,

What's your opinion on the auto industry?

Automobiles have one purpose... to get you from point A to point B.

What's with all the colors? What's with all the extra features jacking up the price? What's with the "luxury models"?

Henry Ford had it right. You build ONE model (Model T), paint them all ONE color (black), and price them all the same.

Since Ford Motor Company never had to create artificial "variety" with colors or features

or "luxury models" for their automobiles, dressing up the same guts, in order to be successful...

and since Ford automobiles still only have ONE purpose... to get from point A to point B...

you'd think that the comic book industry could stick to "one version per book"

if they want to be successful and true to their "roots" and fair to the customer.

Variety is for suckers, right?

I don't see the majority of car collectors collecting 10 different models of the same car in different colors. Some are. They are the minority. The obsessed, I think it would annoy a car collector to have to buy two versions of the same car to get ones with different options he wants on one car. My cousin wasn't eying a second Ferrari after buying his first. He went out and bought a Lamborghini instead. How many X-O fans are going to ignore supporting Ninjak simply because they only have a budget for the X-O variants? Ask your peers. I think you'll find that is the case.

Quality of service is defined by the customer. It isn't dictated to them. Variety isn't a wise solution if it alienates the most loyal and dedicated segment of the market. The comic industry as a whole fails to get that. They define quality by the number of units sold then wonder why sales drop off and series get cancelled. Gimmicks and shock tactics are not long term models for success.

I have a little "hands on" or "real world" marketing experience. I'd like these books to have longevity for my friends that actually buy the comics and like them. The path the publisher is choosing has short term success and long term likelihood of failure. As cited above, look at Harris Comics which tried this approach. Is there one Harris Comics fan going back and trying to collect 12 covers on a mini-series. I haven't met one yet.

DG

I try not to hate. I love the characters but I bought XO 1, read 2 and 3 in about 10 minutes standing in the store. I dont like the simple traced looking artwork and the story is so slow...hardly anything happens in each issue.

I read Harbinger 1 and didnt like it at all.

I flipped through Bloodshot and wasnt into it. The preview of Archer and Armstrong was terrible. It didnt hold a candle to the original BWS issues.

Honestly I feel like I'm giving them plenty of chances to interest me. Its just not working for me.

Just because I dont like something doesnt make me a hater. I just expect a lot more from a company called Valiant.

Shadowman is probably the last book I will check out if it is the same as the rest of the books so far.

All in all I think I really miss Magnus and Solar...All around I just feel like there is something missing and maybe its them.

Bingo. You offered an honest evaluation. Every observation like this should be treated as an opportunity for improvement, not a sabotage smear tactic. Quality cannot be improved unless the consumers are honest and provide objective feedback.

These are the areas which Valiant should review closely:

The artwork is simple.

The story flows too slowly.

It is said that when Home Depot started as a business, the owners were standing outside the door. If someone walked out with nothing in their hands, they asked the customer what they were looking for. Once they found out, they said "Come back next week, we'll have it in stock for you." What they didn't do is insult the customer and tell him he was wrong for wanting what he wanted. They didn't tell him to say good things about his experience even though he was displeased.

DG

DG

DG

Ooh boy. We can throw around $3500, Lamborghinis and Ferraris and Bears, oh my! If you were saying anything worth listening to it's not worth finding it.

When you realize you are posting YOUR opinions, not facts, let me know. I won't hold my breath.

DG

DG

Ooh boy. We can throw around $3500, Lamborghinis and Ferraris and Bears, oh my! If you were saying anything worth listening to it's not worth finding it.

When you realize you are posting YOUR opinions, not facts, let me know. I won't hold my breath.

I'm impressed. You didn't spam us with your comic book info!

For the record, I don't think small. Greg brings up cars, I'll talk about people that can afford the cars they want. I got accused of of being negative here, but an email from a woman I've never met called me a Godsend this week. I'm really getting mixed signals. I wish people would just collectively agree with one another.

DG

Dale Carnegie didn't vet this part, did he?

The artwork is simple.

There's a company already making comics with cluttered, muddy artwork.

There's a company already making comics with gimmick plot twists and meaningless cliffhangers.

Their name is Marvel Comics.

Do you pay people to tell you what to think? I'm accepting cash.

DG

Do you pay people to tell you what to think? I'm accepting cash.

I think you missed the point of the comment. ;)

The artwork is simple.

There's a company already making comics with cluttered, muddy artwork.

There's a company already making comics with gimmick plot twists and meaningless cliffhangers.

Their name is Marvel Comics.

Yes, and they sell more comics.

Benchmarking should be based upon a model that has consistently grown readership, not a model that has a history for failing or providing inconsistent results. Marvel stories move too slowly also. You'd have to model the pacing on comics that provided consistent results for growth. Not milking an audience, but truly growing readership.

DG