• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Omnibus

414 posts in this topic

The biggest problem with comics today is kissing and patting everyone on the back for total mediocrity. The industry is filled with creators and publishers that have delusions of adequacy. My respect really wavers towards many modern comic fans because I feel you speak from a standpoint of poor taste and blind ignorance.

Dale Carnegie didn't vet this part, did he?

Do you pay people to tell you what to think? I'm accepting cash.

I think you missed the point of the comment. ;)

..or I got it and discarded the point. I'll let you decide. I don't tell people what to think.

Whether truth or lie, 100% of the population will believe what they want to believe.

DG

The biggest problem with comics today is kissing and patting everyone on the back for total mediocrity. The industry is filled with creators and publishers that have delusions of adequacy. My respect really wavers towards many modern comic fans because I feel you speak from a standpoint of poor taste and blind ignorance.

Dale Carnegie didn't vet this part, did he?

Do you pay people to tell you what to think? I'm accepting cash.

I think you missed the point of the comment. ;)

..or I got it and discarded the point. I'll let you decide. I don't tell people what to think.

Whether truth or lie, 100% of the population will believe what they want to believe.

Yes... you are exhibit A.

These are the areas which Valiant should review closely:

The artwork is simple.

The story flows too slowly.

There's a company already making comics with cluttered, muddy artwork.

There's a company already making comics with gimmick plot twists and meaningless cliffhangers.

Their name is Marvel Comics.

Yes, and they sell more comics.

Benchmarking should be based upon a model that has consistently grown readership,

I think we'll give Valiant a bit more than 5 months to see if readership grows. Marvel, on the other hand, has a declining trendline with the above model.

I wish people would just collectively agree with one another.

Is there any place on this planet where every person in a given community believes the same thing, without question? There are always going to be differences.

I think where people do not appreciate the opposing posts to their Valiant love is when it is just a repeat of a previous post just stating you still don't like the new Valiant material.

It's super to hear from both views so we have a heads up if a given title is going to be worth reading. I'd just ask for some details to go along with any negative review to help build a better picture why the stories or artwork didn't go over well.

The artwork is simple.

There's a company already making comics with gimmick plot twists and meaningless cliffhangers.

Benchmarking should be based upon a model that has consistently grown readership,

I think we'll give Valiant a bit more than 5 months to see if readership grows. Marvel, on the other hand, has a declining trendline with the above model.

You made the comparison to Marvel out of the blue. Neither of us said make comics that look like Marvel. All I said was the publisher should consider criticism instead of telling people what they should think about your product.

I had a retail job years ago where we played rock music over the PA system at night. A lady from the symphony orchestra would shop at night and she hated rock music. I'd turn the music off while she shopped. She remembered me 10 years after I was out of retail and liked me.

I didn't argue with her whether she had good taste in music. I didn't ramble about rock music being better or insult her occupation. I worked within reason to accommodate the expectations of the customer.

This whole industry and fanbase insists on telling me what quality expectations I should have. Art and pacing are big issues for people, but you immediately say you don't want it to be like Marvel. Did you even understand the complaint or try to match it with the product? Marvel art and pacing is lousy too. Benchmarking mediocre against bad isn't a solution. Think outside of the box this industry has become.

DG

I like to see my name and my own words in print on the screen.

I like to tell you about the things I've done though they're all irrelevant to the discussion.

I like to tell about people I know, who have lots of money.

I like to brag about charity I'm doing, because charity is all about letting people know you're charitable.

I like to disparage things I haven't actually investigated in detail, but I get the whole idea without checking.

I like to generalize and pretend my generalizations are "honesty" and people just can't handle it.

I like to believe that I actually have things figured out, but others just can't see what I can see.

I like to congratulate anyone who has the intelligence and fortitude of character to agree with me.

I really like to do all these things.

Wait... no I don't.

That's you.

Ok. I know that I've been one of the persistent haters on this thread, but I have my bonafides as a Valiant collector--the books were a large part of my childhood.

That said, my prediction is Archer & Armstrong will be the first book to be cancelled (specifically, prior to issue 18).

Subpar art and story and most folks forget that the original was only popular due to the BWS artwork (which this one lacks). It hung on a bit after his departure but issues 13+ were weak. Even Quantum and Woody did the odd couple thing better.

Ok. I know that I've been one of the persistent haters on this thread, but I have my bonafides as a Valiant collector--the books were a large part of my childhood.

That said, my prediction is Archer & Armstrong will be the first book to be cancelled (specifically, prior to issue 18).

Subpar art and story and most folks forget that the original was only popular due to the BWS artwork (which this one lacks). It hung on a bit after his departure but issues 13+ were weak. Even Quantum and Woody did the odd couple thing better.

You can tell all that after TWO issues? (shrug)

How many winning teams can you predict after only 5 minutes of play?

(I'll go out on a limb and say 50%.) ;)

I predicted all of the Olympics results just by the way the athletes marched into the opening ceremony. Afterwards, I didn't even bother to watch.

:gossip: Okay, I watched it all. But that doesn't mean I didn't have it all figured out in advance.

The artwork is simple.

You made the comparison to Marvel out of the blue. Neither of us said make comics that look like Marvel. All I said was the publisher should consider criticism instead of telling people what they should think about your product.

I enjoy the art on X-O. It's clean. The comparison was to a product with art that isn't clean. (shrug)

I also don't see Valiant telling people what they should think about the product. (shrug)

This whole industry and fanbase insists on telling me what quality expectations I should have. Art and pacing are big issues for people, but you immediately say you don't want it to be like Marvel. Did you even understand the complaint or try to match it with the product? Marvel art and pacing is lousy too. Benchmarking mediocre against bad isn't a solution. Think outside of the box this industry has become.

So far, I've enjoyed Valiant's art and pacing. If my opinion is in the minority, the company will a) fail or b) change their model.

I find your suggestions and complaints to be very you-centric, and dismissive of other views.

I hate to tell you collector's are much more fickle than readers. You're a collector who is already talking about not buying their product after a few months after their release.

I'm a collector who can't stand any modern comics. The pacing is horrible and wastes my time. They colors are gaudy. The prices are outrageous. The covers give no insight to the contents inside. Most look like a Sears family portrait. Chests are all poked out. The characters all look haughty or brooding. Most modern comics don't even need art to accompany them. It adds nothing to the story other than dragging it out further.

Collectors stick with a title just to have completeness. They'll collect through bad stories and art because they take pride in having a complete set. Collectors have a vested interest in protecting their comics. Readers are far less loyal. A writer or artist can switch to another company and they're gone. I can count 50 comic readers that have abandoned buying comics for every steadfast and dedicated collector I know.

Just enjoy the comics while you have them. Order numbers are dropping with or without variants. They're dropping despite all these hype articles saying they've sold out (yet again... doh!). It's just a matter of time before they get tired of breaking even or taking a loss. The publishing venture isn't even coming close to paying back what they've invested in the rights to the characters or their developments cost.

By eliminating variants and the silly hype, they can look at actual sales numbers and see if the consumers are really increasing or decreasing. They can focus on what needs to be focused upon for lasting success. With the variants, the performance of the stuff between the pages is all masked.

DG

I can respect you have a different view point on this and I can even respect some of what you are saying, but god can you take the negativity elsewhere. If you don't like Valiant don't buy them. If you don't like modern comics don't buy them. Why complain that a company isn't doing something the way you want them to? It isn't your money they are "wasting".

Most of the people here enjoy Valiant. Most even agree they have too many variants, but if you don't like variants don't buy them. Enjoy the regular copies for the stories. If the regular issues are never worth the cover price you paid for them who cares? You are paying for the entertainment not because you think you are going to make money off of them.

This is a public forum and I don't respect the perspective that I should stick a lollypop in my mouth and censor myself. I have no respect for people who whitewash truth, facts and reality and settle for failure and mediocrity. So honestly, my answer is "no".

If you think I'm being negative, I will gladly educate you exactly how negative I CAN be.

If you think I don't have anything positive to say or do in this world. I'm about to give $3500 as a gift to someone in need that does inspire me. I expect nothing back in return. So honestly, I don't care what your opinion is.

I get PAID for my evaluations in the real world and lives actually depend on things I speak up about or ignore. My comments above are advice to the owners. They are CONSTRUCTIVE advice in order to appeal to correct audience that will be necessary for success.

DG

Poor you no one respects your opinion. If you want a pacifier just say so. :cry:

I try not to hate. I love the characters but I bought XO 1, read 2 and 3 in about 10 minutes standing in the store. I dont like the simple traced looking artwork and the story is so slow...hardly anything happens in each issue.

I read Harbinger 1 and didnt like it at all.

I flipped through Bloodshot and wasnt into it. The preview of Archer and Armstrong was terrible. It didnt hold a candle to the original BWS issues.

Honestly I feel like I'm giving them plenty of chances to interest me. Its just not working for me.

Just because I dont like something doesnt make me a hater. I just expect a lot more from a company called Valiant.

Shadowman is probably the last book I will check out if it is the same as the rest of the books so far.

All in all I think I really miss Magnus and Solar...All around I just feel like there is something missing and maybe its them.

See now this is the proper way to express an opinion. You read the issues, but you didn't like them. Nothing wrong with that. I think you should give them more time, but you gave them a shot and decided they weren't for you.

I agree the first 4 X-O issues read very fast and were a little drawn out. X-O #5 was much better in my opinion.

Harbinger 1 was ok. Issue 2 was better and 3 and 4 very good!

I liked Bloodshot from the start.

I agree the preview for A&A was bad. I did enjoy the first issue in it's entirety and the second issue was better.

I'm a collector who can't stand any modern comics. The pacing is horrible and wastes my time. They colors are gaudy. The prices are outrageous. The covers give no insight to the contents inside. Most look like a Sears family portrait. Chests are all poked out. The characters all look haughty or brooding. Most modern comics don't even need art to accompany them. It adds nothing to the story other than dragging it out further.

Again, I ask...then why the heck are you here???

By admission, your view on any modern comic is completely slighted and one sided. Why would you come to a Modern Comics forum and argue about Modern Comics? There is no offer of hope for Modern Comics in your post. You don't say anything that suggests you are even attempting to respect the other point of view.

It is like a fan of the Celtics who admits he hates the Lakers in every way, going into a Laker forum disrespecting the Lakers, and then trying to convince Lakers' fans why their organization isn't as good as the Celtics.

Pointless.