• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marc Silvestri to return to the X-Men

46 posts in this topic

Reports have it that Marvel and Top Cow have put together a deal to allow Marc Silvestri to work for Marvel again.

He is set to pencil New X-Men with current writer Grant Morrison some time in 2003.

I actually really liked his pencils on the X-Men in the 80's and am keen to see how his artwork is looking these days. Should be a good combo with him and Morrison.

I think the X-Men books need a shot in the arm and maybe Silvestri is the one to do it.

Reports have it that Marvel and Top Cow have put together a deal to allow Marc Silvestri to work for Marvel again.

Yes, this is true. Unfortunately, as part of the deal, Image/Top Cow gains the right to use any two Marvel characters (with the sole exception of Spider-Man) in Top Cow/Marvel crossovers. In other words, you can be sure that they will inflict some truly horrid garbage like "Tomb Raider and Wolverine" and "Fathom and Sub-Mariner" on us in the future.

Gene

Now that's not nice, Gene! How could one not have enjoyed that prior Top cow/Marvel collaboration in the Devil's Reign Series: Ballistic/Wolverine, Wolverine/Witchblade, Elektra/Witchblade, Cyblade/Elektra....

If Top Cow's Top Cheese is leaving his company to go back to drawing (? - Silvestri doesn't draw anymore, even on Top Cow books, just covers now and then) on X-Men, the same title that gave him the popularity and clout to pull off that secession stunt with Image, does that mean it's time to liquidate all Top Cow stock?

Is anyone out there actually a fan of Silvestri's art?

I haven't seen any of his work for Top Cow (doesn't sound like I'm missing much) but I thought his previous work for Marvel was pretty strong.

Anyone going to pick up the New X-Men to check out his work?

Anyone going to pick up the New X-Men to check out his work?

I thought Silvestri's run on "Uncanny" was excellent. His moving to New X-Men will keep me from dropping the title, which I had been considering given how unimpressive Grant Morrison's scripts have been since his excellent Cassandra Nova storyline ended (Fantomex? Weapon XII? More silly looking mutants than you can shake a stick at? This is supposed to be the best run of X-Men since the Claremont/Byrne glory days? Pass the crackpipe, man...!)

Gene

"More silly looking mutants than you can shake a stick at?"

Just picked up the latest issue of new X-Men (because of Frank Quietly art) and I don't recognise most of the characters! How many new mutants has Morrison introduced now? He must be heading for a new record.

New X-Men is certainly the right title for this book at the moment. grin.gif

Thanks for sharing/passing along the good news. I enjoyed Silvestri's work on the Uncanny X-Men, X-Men vs Avengers, and his run of work in the regular Wolverine series. I missed most of the issues he worked on in the Uncanny series, but I have all of issues he worked on in the Wolverine series. Although Marc Silvestri's talent cannot be compared with Todd Mcfarlane's or Jim Lee's, Marc's artwork is top notch, and it's good to hear he is penciling for Marvel again. So Jim Lee is penciling a Batman book, and Marc Silvestri is penciling the New X-Men book. Now if only Marvel could pur$uade Todd Mcfarlane to pencil a Spider-Man title again...

BTW - Anybody know what became of Hulk artist Dale Keown? He isn't still penciling "Pitt" is he?

"Anybody know what became of Hulk artist Dale Keown? "

Keown has also recently done some work for Marvel. Hulk - The End (one shot I think) with Peter David, reuniting the old, and one of the best, Incredible Hulk teams.

Not sure what has happened to Pitt, but he was only ever a poor man's hulk anyway. grin.gif

Although Marc Silvestri's talent cannot be compared with Todd Mcfarlane's or Jim Lee's

Sez you!! I think Silvestri & J. Lo, uh, I mean J. Lee are very comparable talents and I think both of them are better than McFarlane. People either love or hate T. Mac's style...I am firmly ensconced in the latter camp.

Gene

Although, from a stylistic point of view, Todd MacFarlane was a breath of fresh air for ASM, he was far from perfect.

True, he drew some great action scenes and his storytelling and use of a panel (art-wise) was great, but HE CANNOT DRAW FACES. The way Todd draws the human face makes everyone look like they about 12 years old.

His moving to New X-Men will keep me from dropping the title, which I had been considering given how unimpressive Grant Morrison's scripts have been since his excellent Cassandra Nova storyline ended

My feeling/guess is that Silvestri will come back at the same point where the Return of the Phoenix storyarc will kick off...

As for Silvestri's art, human form is just so articulated it is awesome....The female form in his Top Cow Covers are not Chaos exaggerated, but just tantalizing enough...

Hey man, you know what they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Fortunately for Todd's desires and wallet, many beholders have helped him to stay independent. I stopped helping to support him as an independent a long time ago. From what I read a few weeks ago at Newsramma he had an issue to resolve in court with Neil G., if I'm not mistaken over the rights to a character?

Blowout, here is an example of Silvestri's art on Top Cow...excellent!

Now I realize Turner is given credit by CGC, but SIlvestri's name is on cover as well, and IMO it is more Silvestri influenced. Michael Turner at this time was just fresh Top Cow talent having come off Ballistic...This was before Turner's famed cover to WB 1 and you can tell difference. The gauntlet is more detailed to reflect it's technomagical properties by Turner. Compare for yourselves.

Silvestri:

wbhalf94.jpg

Turner:

wb1.jpg

Although, from a stylistic point of view, Todd MacFarlane was a breath of fresh air for ASM, he was far from perfect.

I've yet to see a perfect ASM artist (how about the ASM # 98 cover with the spider missing from the back of the costume?), but I'm thankful to have enjoyed the many great artist that have graced the ASM title.

True, he drew some great action scenes and his storytelling and use of a panel (art-wise) was great, but HE CANNOOT DRAW FACES.

About drawing faces, I respectfully disagree. Are you familiar with the cover of HULK # 340? Oh, and Mary Jane is one of many faces that I enjoy to see Todd pencil. grin.gif

The way Todd draws the human face makes everyone look like they about 12 years old.

Especially Aunt May, when Todd draws her face she almost looks hot! blush.giflaugh.gifcrazy.gif Look at the back cover of the Ultimate Spider-Man TPB vol. 1, what is your opinion of how Mark Bagley draws Spider-Man's body?

"Look at the back cover of the Ultimate Spider-Man TPB vol. 1, what is your opinion of how Mark Bagley draws Spider-Man's body?"

I must say I'm not a big fan of M Bagley's work. Although I must admit, his stuff on Ultimate spidey is an improvement on his days on ASM.

And what do you mean you've never seen a perfect artist on ASM?

I take it then you are not familiar with the works by messers Ditko & Romita. Their stuff is as close to perfection as it gets.

And what do you mean you've never seen a perfect artist on ASM?

Look at the cover of ASM # 98, trust me, something is missing from Spider-Man's back, which makes it an imperfection. grin.gif

I take it then you are not familiar with the works by messers Ditko & Romita. Their stuff is as close to perfection as it gets.

Actually I am familar with their work through reprints because they were before my time. To tell you the truth, I'm NOT a big fan of S. Ditko's art because his style is a bit plain, simple, lacks detail for my taste. Between Todd and Jazzy Johnny it's a tough call for me. I guess to me, Romita's version will ALWAYS be the "classic" Spider-Man, and Todd's version will be the dynamicly detailed Spider-Man, and Todd gets the credit for the most creativity with webs. tongue.gif

I love Marc Silvestri's art from his Uncanny Days (I sold off a run of Uncanny's signed by him not that long ago on ebay...the lots sold fast and for a bit more than I thought they would, so people are definitely interested in his art).

He pencilled one of my all time favorite stories in Wolverine (involving Lady Deathstrike, was a low 30's issues number storyline).

Speaking of Uncanny's...they are certainly not dead on ebay, I put up 4 CGCed Uncanny's on ebay a few hours ago, and already 3 of the 4 have bids (same bidder I believe). I think people are buying in anticipation of the movie.

Back to Marc Silvestri...his art with Grant Morrison doing the writing (or another writer who actually has talent) on "New" X-Men...whoa! There will be a lot of happy fanboys when that comes to pass.

Christopher H.

Without Ditko's working of the character there'd be no Spiderman still, I'm sure. He managed to convey character feelings and awkwardness like no other. He may not have drawn the prettiest looking Spiderman but his Spiderman appeared more realistic then his successors. Romita Sr. is my 2nd favorite..I'm not a big fan of McFarlanes b/c he made the character seem darker then he had always been..the artwork is pretty though.

Brian