• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 158... Curious.

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

First post :)

Damage that I've noticed:

Some edge wear

Spine stress marks

Large corner crease on front cover

Black mark on top edge of front cover

Impacted top edge (oddly enough, my 8.5 has the same thing)

Crease? in the middle-left of back cover

I recently purchased a CGC 8.5 graded copy of this book (my first CGC purchase!) that looks worse in many ways, so I'm curious as to how much the crease affects the grade. It seems like a beautiful book for it's age.

Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

-Paul

2hg4bbo.jpg

2wgw1kw.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Those two pictures are all I have to go on. As I said, I have a slabbed 8.5, but was considering purchasing this raw copy for approx $40 shipped.

I'm not sure it would be worth it for that price if I would want to have it graded one day (I think it costs $30 for silver age books, if I remember correctly).

By the way, here's a picture of my book. Notice the edge wear, worn corners, multiple spine stress marks, darker whites, as well as slight tanning:

abh0uo.jpg

Late to the party but I would put it at 7.5. I think folds and creases are more distracting than minor stress marks and some discoloration. If there were only one crease or stress mark I would put it in the 8 range but with all three very noticeable color breaking creases, I would drop it to a 7.5. The front spine, the back cover and the colors are very nice as the stress mark defects don't distract from the overall eye appeal. $40 shipped is the spot on price.

So that corner crease brings the grade down that much... good to know.

What if there was no corner crease? Would it be in the mid-9's?

Thanks for the input, everyone. Still learning :)

yeah. that corner crease is a killer. i don't see it being more than an 8.5 anyway with the 3 deep color-breaking creases.