• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Challenge: 'Bronze' Age Keys in 9.6+ for under $500!

51 posts in this topic

They will, but the thing is--it works.

Go back and look at the prices of books like ASM 6, All Star Western 10, Showcase 22, and even ASM 300 immediately after the announcement of their movie tie-ins and track or graph the arc of their market prices in the subsequent 18-24 months leading up to the movie releases.

Just because you'll pay more for an Iron Man 55, Marvel Superheroes 18 or even Daredevil 111 now than you would have 90 days ago doesn't mean you won't see significant returns over the next 20 months.

One thing though, I am generally looking long term. Paying more now, and then having these relevant items drop in value within two years (or after the movie release); would only help a short term investor. Generally, I like to project five to ten years (or more) when I collect to invest.

That being said, I do not believe I stated long term in my original post, so this is FAIR GAME.

I tend to look for multigenerational items (in this case comic books). This is why I am more likely to buy an IM 55 than say an obscure title that may show signs of growth. Don't get me wrong though, if it is cheap enough in high grade (and already graded); I'll buy it...

Thanks again for commenting. I do appreciate it!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Go back and look at the prices of books like ASM 6, All Star Western 10, Showcase 22, and even ASM 300 immediately after the announcement of their movie tie-ins and track or graph the arc of their market prices in the subsequent 18-24 months leading up to the movie releases.

Just because you'll pay more for an Iron Man 55, Marvel Superheroes 18 or even Daredevil 111 now than you would have 90 days ago doesn't mean you won't see significant returns over the next 20 months.

What is Daredevil 111? This is the first I'm hearing of this one...

First Lady Bullseye doh! everyone knows that.....silly

:jokealert:

NO!!! :gossip: it is the first Silver Samurai that will be in THE WOLVERINE movie.

So buy now or say bye to it later. I need to pay my bills so all my Bronze keys/semi are all over the net. Some overpriced and allot under priced do to the Bronze Age fallout a few years ago.

My wife and kid live with me in our home made of old comic boxes. You can see me at the stop light just before you get to the convention center holding an acid-free backboard reading “Will work for Golden and Silver Age key issues or Price Variants. “ I could not afford to have Joepost press some of books so my wife and I just lay them out on the highway during rush-hour traffic and at exit ramps to the truck stops. Then I can only afford to send them to PGX for grading. “OH, THE HORROR OF IT.”

lol

NO!!! :gossip: it is the first Silver Samurai that will be in THE WOLVERINE movie.

So buy now or say bye to it later. I need to pay my bills so all my Bronze keys/semi are all over the net. Some overpriced and allot under priced do to the Bronze Age fallout a few years ago.

My wife and kid live with me in our home made of old comic boxes. You can see me at the stop light just before you get to the convention center holding an acid-free backboard reading “Will work for Golden and Silver Age key issues or Price Variants. “ I could not afford to have Joepost press some of books so my wife and I just lay them out on the highway during rush-hour traffic and at exit ramps to the truck stops. Then I can only afford to send them to PGX for grading. “OH, THE HORROR OF IT.”

lol

yeah, I actually ran out to the LCS and picked up a VG-F for $7...not too bad

lol

yeah, I actually ran out to the LCS and picked up a VG-F for $7...not too bad

(thumbs u this is a good time buy Bronze while the prices are stable. Just be wise and not get caught in the hype like I did a few years back.

:facepalm: Oh....GL #76.....I knew it would fall in price but I got caught up in people telling me I was wrong.....so I upgraded to that 9.4 when I could of bought an AF#15 upgrade for the same price doh! a few years ago. I would of made at least 3x what I paid.

Hard to find Price Variants are still the only books that really did not take any hits in the market.

Great thread...

Would Star Wars #1 (1977) fit your criteria...?

The book would have to be in 9.8 to even be considered. There are a ton of copies out there. It is like Nova #1. Is it a 'key?' Sure, but you have to have it in ultra high grade to have it worth owning. Most post 1975 comic books are like this; albeit a few handfuls of good stuff.

I do like Iron Fist #14, but it already pretty much ran its course. Now I think it will remain flat for some time. Good issue if someone new to the hobby wants to buy a well priced ket to show their peers. That is about it in my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

lol

Thanks for the heads up on DD #111. I was about to just include a copy of of it with a pile I was prepping to take to my LCS to clear space. Now I will hold onto it. lol

It came from a recent Heritage DD lot that had a 9.0+ copy of #131 in it as well. :banana:

First, I will not touch any copper age books. There are simply too many of them for there to be anything but short term hit it and quit it shots in the dark. Silver Age Keys are very solid but have already seen spectacular and sometimes meteoric growth and have created a pseudo inflated market that simply cant be maintained. Though I have focused on high grade second appearances of Silver Age Keys and I feel that I have done quite well with them. I have $600 in ASM #51 cgc 9.6 WHITE pgs and almost $1600 in ASM #17 cgc 9.6 OW/W pages to name a few.

Bronze Age in high grade slabbed books less than $500 bucks are in my opinion one of the best places to park your money in both the short and long term, for pleasure and investment purposes. There are several things that I look for when I buy investment grade books. I will share some of them below.......

#1 Does the book in question involve a mainstream title? If a book has a lot of readers then it is bound to have a lot of interest.

#2 Is the book a first appearance?

#3 Does the book have a x-over?

#4 Does the book have AT LEAST OW/W page quality?

#5 Has the book maxed out? ie has it been pseudo inflated by a movie?

#6 Does the cover have eye appeal? Say what you want but a pimped out cover ALWAYS drives up the price if the other above criteria are met.

Bronze Age under the radar books I recommend

1. Thor 225 CGC 9,8 First App of Firelord with at least OW/W pages. I got this one for just over $240 a few years back.

2. Hulk 180 cgc 9.6 OW/W or better. The TRUE first app of Wolverine. the market will eventually wise up on this one. Copies at this grade can be had for $850 if you watch the ebb and flow of ebay and other auction

3. ASM #135 cgc 9.6 or better. The second app of the Punisher. the first appearance easily commands $1600 or better in like grade (ASM 129)

#4 Avengers 110 CGC 9.6 or better. Its the Avengers with a HUGE pic of Magneto on the cover. Magneto is a top villian and the Avengers is main stream superhero title.

Selfishly that is all I am going to list at the moment because I own all of them that I mentioned. My Bronze age want list goes 18 books deep that meet at least 4 of the 6 criteria I have listed above. Happy Hunting! May your money be spent wisely! :wishluck: