• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Challenge: 'Bronze' Age Keys in 9.6+ for under $500!

51 posts in this topic

Much like my 'silver age challenge' I am looking for thoughts on comic books from the 'bronze age' in 9.6 or above that make good long term buys.

If, by 'long term buys', you mean BA books that will appreciate in value, then I think you can cross off virtually all Marvels and DCs.

Much like my 'silver age challenge' I am looking for thoughts on comic books from the 'bronze age' in 9.6 or above that make good long term buys.

If, by 'long term buys', you mean BA books that will appreciate in value, then I think you can cross off virtually all Marvels and DCs.

I would not agree or disagree with this statement; as I am approaching this with caution. Then again, a lot of collectors already thought that most of these books would have fallen by now. I do feel sorry for those that got caught up in the 'hype.' Two of my favorite examples are the collectors who told me that Tomb of Dracula #1 and Swamp Thing #1 were 'incredible' buys at $3,000 each in 9.8. I knew better than to buy a 9.8 comic at 10 times the going rate of a 9.4!

That being said, I do think Hulk #180 is 'undervalued' compared to Hulk #181. Aside from that prices have been stable, since most of these books took a hit around 2010.

Only time will tell. I have been very cautious on 'bronze' as of late though; and I have yet to touch any 'copper' age books at all.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I would not agree or disagree with this statement; as I am approaching this with caution. Then again, a lot of collectors already thought that most of these books would have fallen by now. I do feel sorry for those that got caught up in the 'hype.' Two of my favorite examples are the collectors who told me that Tomb of Dracula #1 and Swamp Thing #1 were 'incredible' buys at $3,000 each in 9.8. I knew better than to buy a 9.8 comic at 10 times the going rate of a 9.4!

That being said, I do think Hulk #180 is 'undervalued' compared to Hulk #181. Aside from that prices have been stable, since most of these books took a hit around 2010.

Only time will tell. I have been very cautious on 'bronze' as of late though; and I have yet to touch any 'copper' age books at all.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I agree with Hulk #180 being undervalued,because c'mon everyone it's really Wolverines 1st appearance.I also think that the Copper age is the next era to be mined,and will soon gain respect as time goes by.I remember a time when people said bronze age was worthless,now it's a different story.Same goes for the Copper age. 2c

Respectfully,

'mint'

I agree with Hulk #180 being undervalued,because c'mon everyone it's really Wolverines 1st appearance.I also think that the Copper age is the next era to be mined,and will soon gain respect as time goes by.I remember a time when people said bronze age was worthless,now it's a different story.Same goes for the Copper age. 2c

I hope you are right. I have been cautious on the 'copper age.' I do like the 'Nintendo based Valiants,' but I do not own any other key issues from this era. I may have to change my stance, but it is hard for me to 'invest' in items this new. Just an opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Respectfully,

'mint'

I hope you are right. I have been cautious on the 'copper age.' I do like the 'Nintendo based Valiants,' but I do not own any other key issues from this era. I may have to change my stance, but it is hard for me to 'invest' in items this new. Just an opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I'm thinking the Indy books are the books to get in the Copper age.TMNT#1,Caliber Presents #1,The Crow 1-4,SDCC Comics #2,etc. etc.

I do think Hulk #180 is 'undervalued' compared to Hulk #181. Aside from that prices have been stable, since most of these books took a hit around 2010.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Really, Hulk #180? The 12 month GPA average for a 9.6 is $945. In 2009 I sold the copy I bought off the rack for $1600, and that price was already significantly less than what the book had been selling for a year or two earlier.

Hulk180.jpg

Much like my 'silver age challenge' I am looking for thoughts on comic books from the 'bronze age' in 9.6 or above that make good long term buys. They must retail for $500 or less; hence the challenge, and must be a 'universal' grade.

What are your thoughts? I thank you for your advice and am curious what most forum members choose.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Green Lantern 85, 86, 87, Batman 237, 243, 244, 251. :whee:

I predict soon it may be a bad time to but 'Batman' books due to the movie coming out. We will have to see what happens. I tend to buy opposite the movies. Therefore, I will be buying whatever comic books will not be presently affected by the current movie hype.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I predict soon it may be a bad time to but 'Batman' books due to the movie coming out. We will have to see what happens. I tend to buy opposite the movies. Therefore, I will be buying whatever comic books will not be presently affected by the current movie hype.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

thats going to be harder to do with how often they churn out films

i think the SS is the way to go, get your book signed and surely the price goes up and then again when the signer dies

[i also think that the Copper age is the next era to be mined,and will soon gain respect as time goes by.I remember a time when people said bronze age was worthless....

Nope, nope and nope.

It's very dangerous to use past performance to predict future growth, *especially* when there was a quantum shift in terms of how comics were distributed (DM), mass market availability of bags/boards, and in the demographics of who was buying them (growth in adult readers/collectors/speculators).

DM + adult buyers + improved storage = who will be lining up to buy them?

Due to this, Copper will never increase in price at a rate even close to the BA, and I will go out on a limb and state that 1978-79 is my personal cutoff for this transition. I own and re-read some of these post-79 books, but I hold no illusion of "Copper Age Glory" for these.

After all, there was a huge price jump in the general 1975-79 Marvel/DC books 10-15 years ago (keys spiked well before this), so why hasn't the corresponding increase in generic 1980-85 comic prices already taken place? By logic, it should have already started 5+ years ago.

I agree with JC. It's a shame because there are some great books in the copper age, just way too many of them for a BA like monetary appreciation.

However, you can get skads of fun books to read very cheaply. :cloud9:

One of the best times to be a comic collector/reader was in the mid-80's. Some absolutely killer books came out at that time, and there was a lot of heat at the LCS, but without it being a speculator market like from 90-94.

DKR, Watchmen, etc. - even Secret Wars was a real blast from the past for 70's fans.

Lots of older back issues flying in as well, many new LCS's sprouting up, and a growth in comic shows through the region. It was a great time to be a comic fan/reader, but it would be the second-to-last (Moderns being last) place I would put any cash I want to appreciate in the future.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

thats going to be harder to do with how often they churn out films

i think the SS is the way to go, get your book signed and surely the price goes up and then again when the signer dies

I do NOT buy or collect SS series, Never liked them and keep in mind for how many books Stan Lee alone has signed, his signature will never be 'rare.'

Much like my 'silver age challenge' I am looking for thoughts on comic books from the 'bronze age' in 9.6 or above that make good long term buys. They must retail for $500 or less; hence the challenge, and must be a 'universal' grade.

What are your thoughts? I thank you for your advice and am curious what most forum members choose.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Any cosmic marvel keys. ;)

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Care to elaborate on this? I would like to hear your thoughts...

Respectfully,

'mint'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Care to elaborate on this? I would like to hear your thoughts...

Respectfully,

'mint'

10984-2575-12124-1-marvel-premiere_super.jpg

9045-2353-9996-1-marvel-super-heroes_super.jpg

Iron_Man_Vol_1_55.jpg

15278-2350-17030-1-avengers-annual_super.jpg

COMIC%20marvel%20two%20in%20one%20annual%202.jpg

They will, but the thing is--it works.

Go back and look at the prices of books like ASM 6, All Star Western 10, Showcase 22, and even ASM 300 immediately after the announcement of their movie tie-ins and track or graph the arc of their market prices in the subsequent 18-24 months leading up to the movie releases.

Just because you'll pay more for an Iron Man 55, Marvel Superheroes 18 or even Daredevil 111 now than you would have 90 days ago doesn't mean you won't see significant returns over the next 20 months.