• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official LP: Venom "Black Error" Cover #1 Thread----Post your copy!

77 posts in this topic

Thanks for that . Thats only the 2nd copy I have seen in my 10 years of looking for this book. Now that the book is so expensive I am not looking any more . Got my copy and my sons and was glad I was done with that search. Moved on to my next grail which was the 35 cent error Star Wars 1 and took me 2 years to get a low grade restored copy for cheap. Part of the fun of this hobby is looking for certain books. Right now I am searching high and low for a very low grade Xmen 1 for my son.

I'll venture to say that there's not many of those newsstands. I'm also curious to know if there are any more white copies found? One of my dream books is a high grade IF 14 .35 copy. Not going to happen anytime soon.

The IF 14 is a book I always look for (But not to own as its not on my list) just to see what it goes for and dont see it too often. I see way more Star Wars #1 35 cent then I see of that book. Dont know if there are less of them but just an observation. .

Yeah--Star Wars # 1 is probably the most common $.35 variant, by a large margin. Overstreet's estimates 1,500, but the bigger issue is folks knew about it and looked for it from the beginning. So there are 105 copies graded (that's what- 7% of the print run, not counting re-subs?).

# 2-4 $.35 variants are much rarer (just 36, 35, 31 graded, respectively), but not even in the same league of rarity as Iron Fist 14 (31 graded, but a key issue), Rawhide Kid 140 (2 graded) , or Scooby Doo (2 graded) or Flintstones # 1 (1 graded).

Yeah--Star Wars # 1 is probably the most common $.35 variant, by a large margin. Overstreet's estimates 1,500, but the bigger issue is folks knew about it and looked for it from the beginning. So there are 105 copies graded (that's what- 7% of the print run, not counting re-subs?).

# 2-4 $.35 variants are much rarer (just 36, 35, 31 graded, respectively), but not even in the same league of rarity as Iron Fist 14 (31 graded, but a key issue), Rawhide Kid 140 (2 graded) , or Scooby Doo (2 graded) or Flintstones # 1 (1 graded).

I think there are only a few copies of Scooby Doo, and Flintstones known, let alone graded, if i'm not mistaken? Metarog, or shield would know more than I.

6A0BF1FA-D209-44B9-865C-03ED54CFFB95-9610-00000716ED68C40C.jpg

This is pastandpresentcomic's book. Hope it's okay to use.

(thumbs u

I was getting ready to look for my scan when I saw you already found it. The guy I got my copy from said he got it from a guy that had 2 copies, so maybe the 7.5 is that other copy.

What's different about this book?

If there is a thread covering this, please link it. search function sucks.

Hype. And some scale--meaning there are enough copies out there (a few hundred? more?) that collectors can reasonably expect to get one.

But plenty of other foil error books exist that were just one-offs and never achieved the hype.

But it astounds me that this book, and the Bloodshot 0 "Platinum" broke out when the dozens of other truly rare one-off misprints just languish.

I don't know in regards to CGC policy, but here's the story of how Venom #1 Black got traction:

The day this book came out, I was working in a shop and freelancing for Wizard. Someone nearby got one of these and wanted to know if we were interested (we were big into rare/unusual/hot stuff). Looking into it a bit, we heard via Diamond contacts that there might be a few of these floating around out there.

We sent the info to Wizard (and... it makes me cringe to think of this now, but I think we were sending books in for them to photograph in the early days) and it appeared in the next issue. Shortly after that, it was definitely a book that people were on the hunt for on the con circuit.

So, yeah... this one got hype because a copy fell into the right hands on the day of release and got wide exposure.

Wow, that was over 20 years ago now. :preach:

Wow..Sold for $1,090 (1058 plus 3%).I was guessing maybe $700.

Maybe 9.6 would end at around 700-800 never a 9.8.

Raws described as NM on eBay go for that much.