• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre hero Marvel and Atlas Registry Points Too Low

76 posts in this topic

I would say at a bare minimum the point values for all pre-hero Marvel books could stand to double. That would be a start in terms of getting them into the realm of fair. I haven't seen a single example where a doubling of points for a pre-hero Marvel would take it even close to fair market value in terms of dollars spent, and obviously a lot of books score over their FMV in terms of dollars to points.

I would sat at a bare minimum the point values for all pre-hero Marvel books could stand to double. That would be a start in terms of getting them into the realm of fair. I haven't seen a single example where a doubling of points for a pre-hero Marvel would take it even close to fair market value in terms of dollars spent, and obviously a lot of books score over their FMV in terms of dollars to points.

Yeah, but if they were doubled they still wouldnt be right and we would be starting this again. We need to aim higher than double I think. :sumo::foryou:

I don't disagree. That's why I said it would be a bare minimum. I don't know what their comfort zone on raising scores would be, and 3-4 times may be too high for them to contemplate. But if they'll do it I am all for it!

I collect Atlas humor books and they are similarly out of whack. But...

If you really want to see a disconnect between FMV and Registry points, check out my Pep and Archie sets. A couple of examples: Archie 1 in 3.0 FMV $15K, 1200 points! Archie 50 in 7.5 FMV $1500, 65 points! Pep 26 in 2.5 FMV $2000, 100 points! And the list goes on...

I collect Atlas humor books and they are similarly out of whack. But...

If you really want to see a disconnect between FMV and Registry points, check out my Pep and Archie sets. A couple of examples: Archie 1 in 3.0 FMV $15K, 1200 points! Archie 50 in 7.5 FMV $1500, 65 points! Pep 26 in 2.5 FMV $2000, 100 points! And the list goes on...

I think you need to start your own thread for the ludicrous scores for the Archies! Those scores are just stupid for those books.

The more I look at these the more it seems as though Bronze scores are really disproportionately high in many cases while SA & GA have gotten the shaft.

The problem is that the price spike for golden age comics does not line up with the points spike.

Points, for most all books spike at 9.0 (VF/NM)

Doing a little meta analysis...

I looked at some books mentioned here (mid grade JIM, ToS, WoS books)and compared them to some bronze keys (X-men 94, Daredevil 158) and their common counterparts.

Most books points increases at a similar 110-120% rate in the lower grades from Poor up to Fine+ (6.5)

The Bronze keys spiked to 140% at 7.0 and then further spiked to 168% at 8.0 and generally started to increase at a rate of 150% in the higer grades once it was past VF

The Bronze commons stayed in the 110-120% increase by condition until it hit the VF range and then started to increase in the 150-160% range at VF and above.

The GA books seem to follow the same trend. 110% to 130% increases in lower grades. They all had a 130-140% increase at 7.0, and then a 160%+ increase at 8.0, then 150% in lower NM grades, 200% at 9.4 (same as the Bronze books). Then 160% in 9.4 and 9.6.

All books were 10x points multipliers between 9.2 and 10.0 grades (in other words a book worth 1000 points in 9.2 was work 10,000 in 10.0) And this was the same across all books regardless or era.

So the points line up (by percentage increase) between SA and GA, but the problem is that the $$$ of the books (or if you want to take $$ off the table you can think of it in terms of condition scarcity.

There are plenty of mid-grade bronze age books, and almost as many in the silver age. Once you get back to the golden age the scarcity increases, and the tipping point goes from NM way down the condition scale to somewhere lower (FN? I dont know).

So they points increases should slide with the Golden Ages increased condition scarcity. the 160% points spike should happen lower (say in FN). Or in other words the points increases should look less exponential, and more consisitant, unlike in the Silver and Bronze counterparts.

I'd propose there be 4 different trend equations based by era for books to follow by default rather than just one:

As you move back in time by era the slope of your multiplier `decreases, allowing for lower grade, older books to be worth more (by percentages) than the more readily available newer books in the same grade.

So plotting the ages out would look like this:

6u0bb.png

I don't know that it is the rate of point rise that is the problem (though your analysis is interesting and informative). I think the problem is that the points are just too low across the board. It isn't a matter of how many more points a 9.0 is worth over a 7.0, which is where your metrics would come into play, but the fact that the points that you would get across any of these grades in pre-hero Marvels are far short of where they ought to be in terms of dollars spent per point obtained. If I completely missed the point, which is entirely possible, please explain it to me again, but otherwise these would seem to be separate issues.

I don't know that it is the rate of point rise that is the problem (though your analysis is interesting and informative). I think the problem is that the points are just too low across the board. It isn't a matter of how many more points a 9.0 is worth over a 7.0, which is where your metrics would come into play, but the fact that the points that you would get across any of these grades in pre-hero Marvels are far short of where they ought to be in terms of dollars spent per point obtained. If I completely missed the point, which is entirely possible, please explain it to me again, but otherwise these would seem to be separate issues.

no I think you got my point.

I think there are two problems, one specific to the titles mentioned here, and one general (the rate at which points increase, despite the difference in grade availability escalation between GA and later ages. Your problem would be solved by a one time bump, my problem would be to change the equation in which points escalate for all GA books.

You are right, my solution wouldnt directly solve your noted concern, though it would improve the points to a degree for the mid grade books, but as all the examples have pointed out, there is a big points to dollars disparity, even at the mid-high grade (8.0ish) that should result in points bumpage.

Just one more note as I noticed a discrepancy in my registry set today. I was looking at my TOS and TTA sets and saw something that bears some explaining.

TOS #12 in CGC 8.0 is worth 170 points.

RADF0ADC2010811_104951.jpg

TTA #12 in CGC 8.0 is worth 246 points.

TTA12CGC.jpg

They are two of my nicest pre-hero books, and both happen to be #12, so this stuck out to me. These books came out a month apart, and have virtually identical HG census numbers (11 copies in 8.0 or better for the TTA and 12 copies in 8.0 or better for the TOS). So why the 44% jump for the TTA over the TOS's score?

And, sticking with the theme of this thread, both scores are way too low! lol

Just one more note as I noticed a discrepancy in my registry set today. I was looking at my TOS and TTA sets and saw something that bears some explaining.

TOS #12 in CGC 8.0 is worth 170 points.

RADF0ADC2010811_104951.jpg

TTA #12 in CGC 8.0 is worth 246 points.

TTA12CGC.jpg

They are two of my nicest pre-hero books, and both happen to be #12, so this stuck out to me. These books came out a month apart, and have virtually identical HG census numbers (11 copies in 8.0 or better for the TTA and 12 copies in 8.0 or better for the TOS). So why the 44% jump for the TTA over the TOS's score?

And, sticking with the theme of this thread, both scores are way too low! lol

Gorgilla is way cooler then Gor-Kill! :makepoint::sumo:lol

:news::news::banana::news::news:

It appears a point adjustment has been made for Pre-Hero book in the registry.

You should see some changes in your registries dated 7/20/2012 .

What do you think ? The changes to TTA seemed really minor ?