• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Say hello to SPIDER-MAN INDIA

27 posts in this topic

That certainly looks pretty cool. Someone commented about the "dot" on his forehead. It is called a bindi, and Hindu men wear them as well as women, for ceremonial/traditional occasions.

Love the idea of the rakshasa as a counterpart ot GG. Actually the potential here is considerable. All manner of demons and monsters and such. Also a great mix of modern technology and ancient traditions.

Now I wonder what language it will be written in. India had, when I was there in 1977, something like 13 national languages (including English).

My roommate (who is Sikh) tells me that the bindi is typically worn to denote a married person. However, it does not seem like the Peter Parker counterpart is wearing one, which confuses me.

Never mind, I took a second closer look and now it looks more like the head of a spider on his mask. The are four "legs", along with the lines of his eyes which make the other legs. It looks like the artist added a spider symbol on his mask in addition to the other changes in costume.

I think it is pretty damn cool, and I think there are certain board members who are showing JUST a LITTLE bit of ethnocentrism here. The idea of JMS writing it is ludicrous. Perhaps, oh, I don't know, somebody from India?

There are a billion people in India. Maybe, just maybe, it is a GOOD idea for Marvel to try to adapt arguably the most successful superhero franchise out there (no worse than 3rd, with Superman and Batman the other two) to the culture and attitudes of that billion person market. Bravo to Marvel for trying it.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Now I wonder what language it will be written in. India had, when I was there in 1977, something like 13 national languages (including English).

I'm going to guess English for a couple of reasons...

1) From what I've been told by my Indian coworkers is that most Indians (living in India) can speak their dialect but are functionally illiterate. The segment of the population who this would be targeting can however read and write English (at least enough to get a job).

2) The class difference in India is staggering. Over there poor is poor -- not like poor over here in the States where the average poor family (below the poverty line) lives in a 2 bed room apartment with AC and a color TV (with cable) and has a car -- I mean poor -- no food, no home, no nothing. And poor is something like 90% of the population. Most (99.9%) of the population is not going to be interested in buying a comic book. They will probably be more interested in eating.

I'm going to guess English for a couple of reasons...

1) From what I've been told by my Indian coworkers is that most Indians (living in India) can speak their dialect but are functionally illiterate. The segment of the population who this would be targeting can however read and write English (at least enough to get a job).

2) The class difference in India is staggering. Over there poor is poor -- not like poor over here in the States where the average poor family (below the poverty line) lives in a 2 bed room apartment with AC and a color TV (with cable) and has a car -- I mean poor -- no food, no home, no nothing. And poor is something like 90% of the population. Most (99.9%) of the population is not going to be interested in buying a comic book. They will probably be more interested in eating.

It's not nearly that bad. India has historically been one of the world's poorest democracies, but a lot has changed in the last two decades.

Indian Poverty Study Link

Well, I meant using JMS for the American translation.

foreheadslap.gif

tonofbricks.gif

JMS knows how to translate Hindi/Gujarati/other into English?

Boy... the dry humor just isn't working today....

sorry.gif