• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Say hello to SPIDER-MAN INDIA

27 posts in this topic

"Marvel does plan on publishing SPIDER-MAN INDIA for North American audiences at some point in the future. The creative line-up for the comic hasn't been officially unveiled yet. "

I wonder if Marvel is going to outsource this work.

I don't have a problem with this. Marvel is just trying to adapt their product to local culture in one of the world's most populated countries. Why try to shove North American Culture down their throats, when they have their own culture? If Spider-Man, a recognizable character, can be turned into a more culturally relevant character for that audience, what difference will that make to us over here? It isn't like the we are going to be seeing him cross over into the regular Marvel universe or anything.

The book looks like fun. I will try to buy it when it comes out.

They should get JMS to write this... it looks like it would lend itself to a lot of mysticism.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I would have to disagree with this. While JMS is a writer of high caliber, I think this title would much better if written by someone who is intimate with the Indian society. Remember why ASM was so popular for kids? The main character is a teenager who faces many problems an ordinary teenager would face (minus the bomb throwing pumpkins and adversary with 4 metal arms). If Marvel is really trying to target the youth of India, then I would definitely not suggest a writer who is out of touch with what is really going on in India today.

I think it is pretty damn cool, and I think there are certain board members who are showing JUST a LITTLE bit of ethnocentrism here. The idea of JMS writing it is ludicrous. Perhaps, oh, I don't know, somebody from India?

There are a billion people in India. Maybe, just maybe, it is a GOOD idea for Marvel to try to adapt arguably the most successful superhero franchise out there (no worse than 3rd, with Superman and Batman the other two) to the culture and attitudes of that billion person market. Bravo to Marvel for trying it.

That certainly looks pretty cool. Someone commented about the "dot" on his forehead. It is called a bindi, and Hindu men wear them as well as women, for ceremonial/traditional occasions.

Love the idea of the rakshasa as a counterpart ot GG. Actually the potential here is considerable. All manner of demons and monsters and such. Also a great mix of modern technology and ancient traditions.

Now I wonder what language it will be written in. India had, when I was there in 1977, something like 13 national languages (including English).