• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me whatcha got, I can't remember a title! (Early '80's indie book)

7 posts in this topic

I have been trying to remember the name of a comic book for a few months now that my buddy had when we were kids and that we would always read.

It was an early '80's indie book that IIRC was in full color. He had an early issue, maybe the first one. It was not a Dark Horse Instant Color Classic.

As far as I can remember, It had to do with these two characters that would drive around as plumbers or movers or private detectives or something, I'm not exactly sure.

I don't think that it was geared for kids which is probably why we loved it. Possibly there were curse words or a naked lady, or cigarette smoking or murder going on in there.

I went to wikipedia and searched their indie comic database for a while and didn't think that I saw what I was looking for.

If I had to guess what the name was like, it was called something like "Gross Brothers" or "Eddie and Sleeze" or something like that.

Ring any bells?

So not quite as old or independent as I remember, but close enough. I'm surprised at myself for not hitting the title when I was searching, I was almost right there with getting it!!

Just fo fun, here's the one that he had, #3. (Random internet pic.)

13540c47.jpg

So not quite as old or independent as I remember, but close enough. I'm surprised at myself for not hitting the title when I was searching, I was almost right there with getting it!!

Just fo fun, here's the one that he had, #3. (Random internet pic.)

13540c47.jpg

Predecessor to the modern sketch cover. (shrug)

They are cheap enough from what I can see out there. From what I can remember, the story tried to be funny but kind of sucked at it, but there might be some funny satire in there relevant to those times. ( I think that I really kept looking at it mostly for the artwork, it had good lines and colors, and I remember practicing drawing the guys sunglasses a lot. ) I also thought that the blank cover of the issue that we had was clever, although I don't know if the creators were making fun of an actual sketch cover of another book that was done beforehand, or if it was done just to be eye-catching / funny in it's own right.