• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Record Reprints

26 posts in this topic

I'm just curious. I just picked up a small Silver Age collection,and while most of the books were VGish,the two Goden Record books were in VFish condition. It dawned on me that you rarely see these books in low-grade shape. Any thoughts on why this is?

This collection was an original owner collection ,the seller didn't have a clue the GRBs were reprints,he'd collected them as a kid,mostly when his family bought a book or two at a time.The only other key book was the 3-D Batman from 1966.

Murph,

I've often heard that,but the vast majority of the books I've seen were sans record,and most likely were without them for years. Many dealers seem to have HG copies of the books but don't have ones with records.

They were mass produced, sure they're separated from the record at some point. But there's enough that sat around in packaging with the record as a backer to create a glutton of NM copies. Only to eventually be taken out and placed in mylars. Not to mention I'm sure some ppl took EXTRA care of them as they thought they were originals.

Brian

I'm just curious. I just picked up a small Silver Age collection,and while most of the books were VGish,the two Goden Record books were in VFish condition. It dawned on me that you rarely see these books in low-grade shape. Any thoughts on why this is?

This collection was an original owner collection ,the seller didn't have a clue the GRBs were reprints,he'd collected them as a kid,mostly when his family bought a book or two at a time.The only other key book was the 3-D Batman from 1966.

Which two GRR did you have?

Books were collectable reprints of highly desired first appearance books, produced at a time when comic book collecting/ speculating was really taking off. Translation, these books were for the most part, very well looked after. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The two in the collection were Avengers 4(a keeper) and JIM 83,bound for consignment.

Darn...

I was wanting a Avengers 4 GRR. sorry.gif

Supa has one for a BIN of $120 listed as VF.

Thanks, but I didn't want to pay top dollar for a slabbed copy. gossip.gif

A few years back someone on Ebay was selling lots of 10 (or 20?) of the Fantastic Four #1 in VF/NM condition. They listed them for quite awhile, probably totally way over 100 copies. Possible these books have been in a warehouse find somewhere along the way.

I bought one of them! thumbsup2.gif

I bought one of them!

I tracked them for a while, hoping the price would drop after they sold a bunch of sets. Didn't seem like the prices ever dropped below about $20 per book. They were a great deal at that price if graded accurately, I just thought I could get them cheaper if I waited. Then they ran out....

A few years back someone on Ebay was selling lots of 10 (or 20?) of the Fantastic Four #1 in VF/NM condition. They listed them for quite awhile, probably totally way over 100 copies. Possible these books have been in a warehouse find somewhere along the way.

There certainly do seem to be a large number of HG copies out there, even for 1966 books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bought one of them!

I tracked them for a while, hoping the price would drop after they sold a bunch of sets. Didn't seem like the prices ever dropped below about $20 per book. They were a great deal at that price if graded accurately, I just thought I could get them cheaper if I waited. Then they ran out....

I didn't mean to imply I bought one of the lots. foreheadslap.gif

I saw those lots too. cloud9.gif

I bought a single copy last year that was VF-NM (Qualified with some sun-shadow front cover).