• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VGA graded video game sells for $15,000

93 posts in this topic

I know nothing about Star Wars toys; how far have they fallen?

To give credit where credit is due (before I answer your question); ComicWiz is the resident AFA graded Star Wars expert.

I collect straight AFA 85 or higher. I will not accept anything lower. I have been driving Brian's Toys nuts...lol!

That being said, here are some deals I have gotten and I am buying more!

Death Squad Commander 12 back AFA 85 (with one 90 sub grade) $695

Obi Wan Kenobi 12 back AFA 85 (with one sub grade of 90) $900

C-3PO 12 back AFA 85 (with one sub grade of 90) deal still being completed $800

Greedo 21 back A card AFA 85 $575

Most have fallen several hundred dollars in the past few years. I think most will rebound. I got offered $900 for the Death Squad Commander and refused to sell. I also got offered $1100 for the Obi Wan. Would not sell. Too hard to find in high grade.

Respectfully,

'mint'

This isn't the first graded game to sell for 5 figures, nor is 15K the highest price ever paid for a graded game.

You're right, but I'm pretty sure this is the first Game & Watch to sell for 15K. The last highest sale was around 3K.

I have only a passing familiarity with game n watches. I do know this is one of the best titles and I would assume (?) a very difficult find sealed. Prior to this auction, your estimate of FMV? 5k?

I'm no expert, just a dabbler. A MIB example sold for 3K last year, so you're guess of 5K sounds about right for a sealed copy.

This is the first graded G&W I've ever seen, though. I know very little about the VGA or how well they've become accepted by the videogame collecting community.

The market is still strong for the first 21, MISB US ships/playsets and Canadian examples, although the main difference is that certification didn't get the same welcoming mat like it did in comics. A lot of old guard collectors, who were the ones holding the largest war chests of the hobby's most prized items, resisted the gaming of graded toys to the point where it didn't usher anywhere near the speculator frenzy we've witnessed in comics for the past decade.

All in all, high grade, first movie and first release production toys haven't really experienced too drastic a drop in the past five years. I've only really been immersed in it for about two years, but the data points and research I've poured in really don't show too severe a softening with 12/20/21 Backs. The biggest hits occurred with the POTF line, especially with figures like Yak Face and Anakin. A lot of people bought at the peak and I just don't see those items ever reaching anywhere near peak prices again.

Foreign line, bootlegs, first shot and prototypes are as hot as they've ever been. The maturing of graded toys is starting to see a lot more market appreciation and value upticks on better presenting examples in high grade. With carded toys for example, clear blisters, unpunched tabs and no price stickers tend to sell stronger than slightly yellowed blisters, punched tabs and price stickered examples. Sounds a lot like the buy the comic not the grade motto that first started making its rounds on these boards in '04 and the comparable value hit CR/OW paged books have taken ever since.

To give credit where credit is due (before I answer your question); ComicWiz is the resident AFA graded Star Wars expert.

I collect straight AFA 85 or higher. I will not accept anything lower. I have been driving Brian's Toys nuts...lol!

Most have fallen several hundred dollars in the past few years. I think most will rebound. I got offered $900 for the Death Squad Commander and refused to sell. I also got offered $1100 for the Obi Wan. Would not sell. Too hard to find in high grade.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Those are some great items :applause:

With carded toys for example, clear blisters, unpunched tabs and no price stickers tend to sell stronger than slightly yellowed blisters, punched tabs and price stickered examples. Sounds a lot like the buy the comic not the grade motto that first started making its rounds on these boards in '04 and the comparable value hit CR/OW paged books have taken ever since.

Yeah, I was collecting MOC AFA graded Joes for 5 years, up to 2007 so I'm familiar with this. One day, I'm going through my collection and find that the o-ring snapped on one of my figures randomly, which spooked me enough to sell off my entire collection. It's an inevitability that every carded Joe will eventually snap, it's just a matter of when. Ironically, it's an easy fix when the figures are loose. A snapped O-ring renders the grade useless, so all I see when I look at AFA graded Joes is a ticking time-bomb.

i thought it was going to be this one. but then i googled and saw that the price was way too low. http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/27/stadium-events-sells-for-41-300-becomes-most-expensive-nes-gam/

as it so happens there was a 15k copy of that recently, but its an opened copy not sealed:

http://item.ebay.com/280899573845

With carded toys for example, clear blisters, unpunched tabs and no price stickers tend to sell stronger than slightly yellowed blisters, punched tabs and price stickered examples. Sounds a lot like the buy the comic not the grade motto that first started making its rounds on these boards in '04 and the comparable value hit CR/OW paged books have taken ever since.

Yeah, I was collecting MOC AFA graded Joes for 5 years, up to 2007 so I'm familiar with this. One day, I'm going through my collection and find that the o-ring snapped on one of my figures randomly, which spooked me enough to sell off my entire collection. It's an inevitability that every carded Joe will eventually snap, it's just a matter of when. Ironically, it's an easy fix when the figures are loose. A snapped O-ring renders the grade useless, so all I see when I look at AFA graded Joes is a ticking time-bomb.

I remember you telling me about that and I can't blame you for getting out. Seems too masochistic to collect something with THAT fatal a flaw.

I remember you telling me about that and I can't blame you for getting out. Seems too masochistic to collect something with THAT fatal a flaw.

Who knows, the other figures I had may go another 30 years intact, but just the possibility that one may snap ruins it for me. The figure that popped luckily was only worth about $300; I would have been furious if one of my 2K+ figures had popped.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Those are some great items :applause:

Thanks ComicWiz. I am still collecting. Slowly, but surely.

By the way, it should noted that video game grading has not been accepted either. Most video game collectors do not want their games graded, or even sealed for that matter. This is causing a lot of problems in the market, as video game collecting itself (not playing); is already a niche collectible; and a bad overall 'investment.'

It amazes me as to how many people criticize me for selling VGA graded games. Some of my long time buyers refuse to deal with me carrying such a 'horrid price inflated product' (not my words). I even wrote an eBay guide hoping to garnish support for VGA. That being said, it should be noted that over time, much like the Joe figures talked about earlier, damage and wear may come to leaving a cartridge based game sealed and graded; especially a game like 'Zelda' that has a battery.

Long term prices will fall. The major sales you are seeing are on extremely rare games or early 'black box' games and some (like my Super Mario Bros. example), are not that rare. Most are, but only a few select buyers are buying them. This is a dealer controlled market that some individuals are trying to make a 'frenzy' out of. Problem is, how do you convince someone that a video game made for a system the person probably doesn't own, and in which that can be downloaded for $5; is a worthy collectible, graded and sealed in plastic? Some never will 'get it' and the market being split already resembles this fact. It is a niche market at best that very well could be forgotten (much like Atari) once these gamers age a little more. The video game museum (hosted by Digital Press) refuses to put VGA graded games in it. This was a major issue when it was announced.

Just an analysis from a collector, dealer, and lover. As someone once said, 'Don't hate the player, hate the game.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Does game region matter? Is a Japanese or European release worth less than the US release?

Are we talking VGA or non-VGA graded games? Normally, an 'import' game (as they are referred to) are only valuable if it was not released in the United States, is significantly different than the US version, or offers some unique and different play mechanic, game design, or other identifying factor that was not put ion the US version.

To answer someone's other personal question to me: What certain collectors don't seem to realize is that LEGAL emulation (i.e. Wii's Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade, etc.) is HURTING the classic game market. An example is when FF VII was released for the Playstation 3 as a download. The price dropped significantly; on the original Playstation release. Most experts feel that 'sealed' video game collecting will remain a sub-category of toy collecting (and a very 'niche' market at best); and that classic video game collecting in general will be a 'niche' hobby (which it is); much like record collecting or dare I say; movie collecting (extrememly niche). Most people just want the game to play; hence the price drop due to emulation. I see this happening within the market. You have two very unique 'schools' of thought developing. I know few collectors whom I can sell a VGA graded game to. It takes a specialized buyer. While I make good money in this market; I am not a buyer. First, prices are too high, and second, I like items that have a large collector/investor base that is not being manipulated in its truest form. Prices will fall and it is not yet clear if enough collectors will embrace factory sealed GRADED game collecting. I have done my best to positively influence the market. I also lost customers in the process.

Case in point: I was a vendor at a classic video game convention a year or so ago. I had a copy of The Legend of Zelda GOLD for the NES graded by VGA at 85. I had several collectors tell me not to even attempt selling it at this convention due to the mixed feelings from various collectors. One person who collected factory sealed games inquired about it and told me he would pay fair ungraded market value if it was removed from the case. Another buyer asked me if I would remove it from the case before selling it. Finally it did sell; but only on the internet. There are certain video game forums where I cannot mention VGA and other forums that LOVE VGA and factory game sealed game collecting. It truly is a split niche market. The problem is it is too fragmented. First, video game collecting is already a niche market. Then it is split between factory sealed game collectors and non-factory sealed game collectors. Now it is being split even further by those few collectors who like VGA and those who don't. Personally, I see all points of view and most are valid. It makes being a dealer very interesting!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Does game region matter? Is a Japanese or European release worth less than the US release?

Are we talking VGA or non-VGA graded games? Normally, an 'import' game (as they are referred to) are only valuable if it was not released in the United States, is significantly different than the US version, or offers some unique and different play mechanic, game design, or other identifying factor that was not put ion the US version.

To answer someone's other personal question to me: What certain collectors don't seem to realize is that LEGAL emulation (i.e. Wii's Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade, etc.) is HURTING the classic game market. An example is when FF VII was released for the Playstation 3 as a download. The price dropped significantly; on the original Playstation release. Most experts feel that 'sealed' video game collecting will remain a sub-category of toy collecting (and a very 'niche' market at best); and that classic video game collecting in general will be a 'niche' hobby (which it is); much like record collecting or dare I say; movie collecting (extrememly niche). Most people just want the game to play; hence the price drop due to emulation. I see this happening within the market. You have two very unique 'schools' of thought developing. I know few collectors whom I can sell a VGA graded game to. It takes a specialized buyer. While I make good money in this market; I am not a buyer. First, prices are too high, and second, I like items that have a large collector/investor base that is not being manipulated in its truest form. Prices will fall and it is not yet clear if enough collectors will embrace factory sealed GRADED game collecting. I have done my best to positively influence the market. I also lost customers in the process.

Case in point: I was a vendor at a classic video game convention a year or so ago. I had a copy of The Legend of Zelda GOLD for the NES graded by VGA at 85. I had several collectors tell me not to even attempt selling it at this convention due to the mixed feelings from various collectors. One person who collected factory sealed games inquired about it and told me he would pay fair ungraded market value if it was removed from the case. Another buyer asked me if I would remove it from the case before selling it. Finally it did sell; but only on the internet. There are certain video game forums where I cannot mention VGA and other forums that LOVE VGA and factory game sealed game collecting. It truly is a split niche market. The problem is it is too fragmented. First, video game collecting is already a niche market. Then it is split between factory sealed game collectors and non-factory sealed game collectors. Now it is being split even further by those few collectors who like VGA and those who don't. Personally, I see all points of view and most are valid. It makes being a dealer very interesting!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Very interesting. Before reading your comments i assumed graded video games were the next big thing after comics and toys. I assumed people who were kids in the 80's and 90's and grew up playing those games would be the collectors of today and tomorrow. To people of that generation (and i include myself in there), video games are their comics.

I'm also surprised that you say that sealed games from the 80's-early 90's are easy to find. I would have assumed since they were so expensive back then ($50+ for a kid), no one would keep a game unsealed and not get their entertainment from it at that price unlike a 20c comic which might never be read and just safely put away. Of course that doesn't include warehouses and such, but for games that entered circulation which is the majority since unsold games would have been knocked down to rock bottom prices.

Back in the 90's they were easy to find as well as the early 2000's. I can tell you that an outlet store had a ton of surplus stock of the following games: (I bought several sealed cases of these that have YET to be graded or hit the market): Conta, Super C, Castlevania 1, 2, and 3 , Metroid, Kid Icarus, Zelda 'gold', and Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3. It interests me that people believe these will be the next big thing. Think about it, a factory sealed game, graded and encased in plastic? At least a CGC comic book you can crack, read, and always regrade. My nephew loves video games, classics too, but he doesn't get the whole graded game thing and just stares my games and asks, 'Why?'

The market is too fragmented. Just visit the Digital Press forums and mention graded video games. Remember, no one bought the 'gold' graded NES World Championships cartridge. They also graded it by disassembling it. This is considered a negative in most collecting circles. Ironically, I have no problem paying a reasonable price for a non-graded version that I can assure is in working condition.

PS: Notice how on most non 'black box' and rare games on eBay, prices are usually set as BUY IT NOW prices? This market is currently dealer controlled. These are the worse kind of markets in my opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

It seems like most graded collectibles are for the outlier collectors. Perhaps not for coins & paper currency, though?

However, do the graded collectibles generally sell for more money in the end?

(I say "generally" because we all know there's stuff out there that never should have been slabbed in the first place and will sell for lower prices.)

COI -- do other MOC Joe collectors also view their figures as ticking time bombs? Is there some kind of mass denial going on?

I had been thinking of picking up a few, but the prices are very, very high, and with the extra element of possible corrosion, maybe I'll stick to loose figures.

Here's a MOC Cobra Commander on eBay right now (not mine), up to $1,200...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110904133907?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Case in point: I was a vendor at a classic video game convention a year or so ago. I had a copy of The Legend of Zelda GOLD for the NES graded by VGA at 85. I had several collectors tell me not to even attempt selling it at this convention due to the mixed feelings from various collectors. One person who collected factory sealed games inquired about it and told me he would pay fair ungraded market value if it was removed from the case. Another buyer asked me if I would remove it from the case before selling it. ...

Respectfully,

'mint'

so interesting... I mean the hobby has a pretty strong distaste towards PGX and other non-CGC slabs, and most people only offer the raw value of a book for one graded/slabbed by non-CGC companies... but to ask the dealer to crack it before selling it? Havent heard that one (outside of to save on shipping, and in your situation that was a face to face sale)