• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

London Film and Comic Con Any Good?

23 posts in this topic

I'm going to this but I'm going more for the comic guests than buying comics. This year's lineup has Jim Starlin, Gary Frank, Jesus Saiz, Alan Davis, Mike Ploog and Dan Abnett among others. They're actually putting some effort into the comic stuff.

Let us know how you get on, if it's improved that's good news. Have a great time. (thumbs u

Got back from this show a few hours ago. I had a reasonably successful day. Got a couple of nice sketches from Jim Starlin and Jesus Saiz and signatures from them and Gary Frank. Starlin was a cool guy. Talked a little with him about the Death In The Family storyline. He joked that he does head sketches for free as that's all their worth! I'm very pleased with the Iron Man sketch he did for me as well as the Batman one by Saiz. Would have talked more with him but I got the impression that he didn't speak English well so I just let him get on with the sketch.

I wanted a Hulk sketch by Frank but he had already got a lot of sketch requests by the time I got to him and had to leave shortly (I only had a ticket for today and can't make tomorrow) so I settled with sigs instead. He was by far the busiest of the 3 guests that I met today. With hindsight, I should probably have given his panel a miss. It was decent but I might have got that sketch if I had queued up at his signing table while he was doing his talk.

The main problem I had with this event was the exceptionally poor organisation over queues this morning. There was confusion over which queue people needed to join, people were being moved around for unclear reasons and when a crew member shouted for everyone with a pre paid early bird to stand over by the wall adjacent to the entrance, a number of ticket holders from the back of the queue jumped forward and queue jumped a significant number of people creating a free for all. It was beyond lamentable and needs to be sorted for future events.

Despite that shaky start, I had a fairly good time. However, in terms of atmosphere and things of interest, it was definitely the weakest of the 3 cons I've been to this year. I'll keep an eye out for the lineup for next year's show as I always do but it lacks the must see factor of LSC and Kapow so I'll stick to those as my main cons I think.