• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Chromium/Foil age thread. (1990's) Show us your books.

162 posts in this topic

Although there will never be one right answer... a change in the industry (any industry) is more than just a single item or event. :gossip:

Obviously, and Legends of the Dark Knight and Robin multi-cover/bagged/etc. issues got the ball rolling (with Man of Steal #1 from 1986 being an even earlier example), before Marvel turned in into a real trend with Spider-man #1, then X-Force #1, and finally X-Men #1.

I think Spider-man 1 sold (approximately) 3 million, X-Force 1 sold 5 million and X-Men #1 7 million, and those are three of the top-selling issues of the last 50-60 years, with X-Men still holding the top spot. When was the last time a single comic issue sold 3 or 5 million copies? Probably not since the 40's or early-50's, so that was definitely an *event* in terms of LCS activity, speculation and hype. .

My only point was that to totally ignore the other issues, and concentrate only on X-Men #1 really does history a disservice.

I see RocksInHisHead still doesn't read post before spouting off. The more things change... :roflmao:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

lol

(thumbs u

:makepoint:

:screwy:

Come on, Spider-man #1 obviously started the trend, while Legends of the Dark Knight

smiley_nah.gif

and Robin were kind of the precursors that got the ball rolling.

:eyeroll:

Spiderman1.jpg

=

08-August-1990-Calendar-1.png

robin1.jpg

=

1991-01.png

:makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

BTW, you missed the Platinum and Walmart Gold editions.

:makepoint:

smiley_nah.gif

That Batman might have been the first time it was done, but it in no way was a sign of the times after it's release.

That's why I made sure to mention it, as this "dip your toe in the water" experiment was just that, and didn't really cause a quantum shift.

smiley_nah.gif

I've said this before and I'll say it again, but anyone saying that Spider-man #1 didn't create this foil/variant mania in the 1990's was not hitting the LCS regularly between 1985-89. It was like someone opened the speculator floodgates.

smiley_nah.gif

I love these debates!!! :applause:

Although there will never be one right answer... a change in the industry (any industry) is more than just a single item or event. :gossip:

:applause:

But I do love the talk - it is always very educational on all the event occuring at that time in comic history, continue on! :foryou:

:whistle:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120405224629AAw8yya

;)

In your opinion when do you think the copper age started? Watchmen 1? TMNT 1?

Take your pick for End of Bronze/Start of Copper:

May 1979: Daredevil 158- First Miller art

Nov 1979: Iron Man #128 "Demon in a Bottle"

Feb 1980: She-Hulk #1

Mar 1980: King Conan 1

Apr 1980: Star Trek 1

Spring 1980: Epic Illustrated 1

Sep 1980: X-Men 137- Death of Dark Phoenix

Oct 1980: DC Presents 26- first New Teen Titans

Nov 1980: New Teen Titans 1

Nov 1980: Moon Knight gets his own series

1980 : Superboy Spectacular- Direct Sales only 1-shot

Jan 1981: Daredevil 168- First Miller -script; Intro Elektra

Jan 1981: X-Men 141- Days of Future Past launches alternate time line that would form the basis for lots of uber-fandom-based X-continuity over the next several years

Jan 1981: Capital Comics launches and publishes Nexus 1

Mar 1981: X-Men 143- Final Claremont/Byrne

Mar 1981: Dazzler 1- First direct-sales-only for an ongoing series

Mar 1981: Bizarre Adventures starts

Mar 1981: Captain Canuck is cancelled

May 1981: Eclipse Magazine starts

June 1981: The Hulk magazine ends

Jul 1981: Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981: Rogue debuts

Aug 1981: Marvel Premiere ends

Nov 1981: Captain Victory 1- First Pacific Comics issue, direct-only publisher

1981: Marvel cancels many of its reprint titles, including MGC, AA, TTA, MSA, etc.

1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge

March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1

June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel mini-series, precursor to Secret Wars)

Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts

Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1

1982: Harvey Comics, Warren Publishing and Spire Comics cease operations

1982: DC cancels remaining Horror titles

1982: Start of creator royalties at Marvel and DC

1982: Steve Geppi founds Diamond

1982: Marvel introduces Graphic Novel series, including Death of Captain Marvel and X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

smiley_nah.gif

Obviously...Robin multi-cover/bagged/etc. issues got the ball rolling

:makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:

robinII.jpg

:facepalm:

(with Man of Steal

meh

#1 from 1986 being an even earlier example), before Marvel turned in into a real trend with Spider-man #1, then X-Force #1, and finally X-Men #1.

I think Spider-man 1 sold (approximately) 3 million,

smiley_nah.gif

http://www.farawaypress.com/nonfiction/standardcatalog.html

X-Force 1 sold 5 million

smiley_nah.gif

and X-Men #1 7 million,

smiley_nah.gif

and those are three of the top-selling issues of the last 50-60 years, with X-Men still holding the top spot. When was the last time a single comic issue sold 3 or 5 million copies?

lol

meh

10 years (my first post was in 2002,but that's another story), and you're still fighting everyone, JC. I can say this with all honesty... You kill me. You've provided me with much entertainment over the years. Sorry to interject. Continue the battle.

What's wrong, mods god your balls?

Actually, Rockhead keeps reporting my posts to the Mods (2-3 so far have been deleted, apparently for calling him Rock-something), so that his inexperience in this area (i.e. he obviously got into comics in the 90's an dhas no clue about the 70's and 80's) cannot be properly illustrated.

That he posted the incorrect comic (hint, it was polybagged) and then took me to task for the year, is too hilarious for words. :facepalm:

Looks like he got another one. Didn't Deathlok get banned for humping the moderator button all the time? hm

I like "enhanced" books; they're gimmicky, but I grew up in a gimmicky era, so my brain is wired to respond to shiny books.

I've considered starting a collection of slabbed foil/hologram/chromium books in the past.

I like "enhanced" books; they're gimmicky, but I grew up in a gimmicky era, so my brain is wired to respond to shiny books.

I've considered starting a collection of slabbed foil/hologram/chromium books in the past.

I did it, i think we are the same age. I love it! JC hates it. Double win!

scan0159.jpg