• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #1!

22 posts in this topic

confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought that the mixed German and British slang would be a cute way of pointing out that the seller's auction says that he's in Germany but the item is in London. As for the translation, it means "It is a load of shiite" according to Alta Vista's translator. (My high school German is too rusty these days to try to fake it without Alta Vista.)

I don't like his feedback, this one buyer had this to say:

VORSICHT!!! Lässt in der Artikelbeschreibung wichtigste Infos weg!!!

I don't know what it means, but the first part is in caps and I get the feeling the buyer was not happy. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Vorsicht is "danger" or "caution", so it can't be good.

Strange auction.

Doesn't come off to me as a total scam as the seller does disclose that the book is heavily restored, including a CF re-creation and a possible back cover recreation or at least a marriage. It really would make no sense to do this if you were planning on shipping a FFE or nothing at all.

I would imagine that if this copy was CGCed (Ext) R it could sell to someone looking for a cheap Supe #1. As the auction stands right now, I don't think it will be getting any bids.

how about THIS Superman#1? looks authentic. And isnt Filter61 a member of these boards?

the real thing?

Noticed from his auction description that he is planning to sell his collection in order to buy a house. I guess it's a good idea since a house is a necessity while collectibles such as comic books are a luxury.

The surprising thing I find is that I hear that a lot of serious collectors have very nice collections and then later on sell them off in order to buy a house. Wouldn't most people at least put a down payment on a house before they start putting serious money into comic books. I know that I never put any money into GA books until I had pay off the house. Just glad that it only took me 4-5 years to pay off my house. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Only problem is that books are so expensive now that I may have to sell off my house if I want to buy any really nice books. 27_laughing.gif

I've never really felt I needed a house in the past, since I've always been happy renting. I just live with my girlfriend and I don't have a family or anything so I've never really needed a whole lot of space (Except to store my collection) This most recent lease has been a nightmare though, and I really don't want to rent again after this. Plus my g/f and I have been discussing the M word lately, so now seems like the right time to sell some books and buy a house.

P.S. With any luck, the majority of the collection will be on eBay by Monday gossip.gif

better you should keep the books and sell the girlfriend! kidding, kidding, cheap laugh.

I read your description and have a question. You wrote that so far there has only bee one unrestored Supes 1 above CGC 5.5. But isnt there a 7.5 copy and the Mile High copy that got an 8.0 even though it has color touch and glue and whatnot else done to it?? And you said the 7.5 copy recently sold for 250K! To whom? Do you know?? and when? was the Dentist involved?

From what I understand, the 7.5 copy has exchanged hands several times this past year. I don't remember what it sold for the first time around but I remember hearing it just recently sold for $250,000. I don't know who the buyer is, but I want to say the Seller is Investment Collectibles? I really don't remember for sure though.. I know its somebody who sells on eBay quite alot.. Whoever it was I think they owned the book earlier this year.. I can't remember if it was them who sold the book for $250,000 or if the person they sold the book to flipped it for a profit. A month ago I could've told you but I really don't remember.

As for there being only one unrestored copy above a 5.5 currently graded, you're right the census shows two. I heard the Mile high copy (the 8.0 on the census) actually had quite a bit of work done to it though. From what I understand, Church bought that book second-hand and it wasn't as nice as most of the rest of his collection. Anyway, I've never been fortunate enough to see the Mile high copy in person so thats just something I heard... it could be wrong.

The surprising thing I find is that I hear that a lot of serious collectors have very nice collections and then later on sell them off in order to buy a house. Wouldn't most people at least put a down payment on a house before they start putting serious money into comic books. I know that I never put any money into GA books until I had pay off the house. Just glad that it only took me 4-5 years to pay off my house.

You paid off your house in 5 years, I'm impressed!

Living in LA, I am damn happy I put cash into a house instead of more comic books a few years back.

I remember when Beschara paid 270K for the MH copy years ago, and many dealers smirked cause it had had a little Snyderization at one point. Im also pretty sure that the Dentist has a very nice copy ungraded (and passed on the at some point).... so thats 2 copies 7.5 or better.

But it amazes me that with the three printings and a millions (?) or more copies printed-- that so few remain in great shape compared to other contemporary comics!! I just dont get it, but that seems to be the consensus opinion...

I remember when Beschara paid 270K for the MH copy years ago, and many dealers smirked cause it had had a little Snyderization at one point.

CBG & Toy Collector reported Bechaara paid about $180k for the Mile High Superman #1 years ago.

actually, I mnisspoke. I know it was over 200K because it was by far the most outrageous price yet at the time. But now I remember it as 240K. Of course, since I already said 270, what do I know right? But seriously, it was time payments and the talk was whether Beschara would default at some point when he woke up!! But he didnt and (I believe still owns the book)

do you have the CBG article? And, not to be argumentative, (but given the price was so much then) that Im not sure that CBG would be given the "real deal" so to speak anyway. I know this sounds 'shady' but so is my memory .....

how about THIS Superman#1? looks authentic. And isnt Filter61 a member of these boards?

the real thing?

Can anyone tell me why someone would bid over $30K for this 7.5 M(P) when Metropolis has had a CGC 8.0 M(P) on their site for $28K-$29K (they keep tinkering with the price) for quite a while now? Is it the page quality?