• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before Watchmen

52 posts in this topic

BW can't/won't tarnish the legend. It's untouchable.

+1

BW in no way invalidates Watchmen.

+2

If you enjoyed Watchmen you should like Before Watchmen.

It's quality comic enjoyment. (thumbs u

My friend and I get into this argument occasionally. He thinks Moore got screwed out of his rights to Watchmen because DC keeps it in print. It would have reverted to him had they simply stopped publishing it.

Why Would They? That's always my question. The thing never stopped selling.

Instead of taking the money THEY KEEP OFFERING him, he simply disowns the property. Tough, I say. He signed the contract. And also, like someone above mentioned, he didn't create these characters in a vacuum. He based them on something else. There aren't many things he has written that aren't based on work someone else created.

Jack Kirby's family has a much more legitimate argument in my mind that does Moore.

All that said, I'm only reading Minutemen. I didn't like the rest of it.

My LCS must have over-ordered, as they were giving awa coverless BW comics for free. I picked up a few and was pleasantly surprised:

Minutemen - excellent story and art.

Silk Spectre - surprised at how much I enjoyed this one, as SS was one of my least favourite characters from the original.

Comedian - I love Azzarello, but some of the dialogue was very painful and over-stylised. I also thought the art was atrocious. Bobby Kennedy looked like Alfred E. Neuman.

Ozymandias - surprisingly awful dialogue. Unnecessary exposition and way too corny. No sense at all for me that it's being narrated by the world's most intelligent man. Glorious art from Jae Lee though.

Nite Owl - good but not great. Excellent scene with the conversation on the porch after his father's heart attack.

All in all, pretty good. I will probably pick up a few of the trades when they come out. The Crimson Corsair was pretty though.

And Moloch, now Buffalo Bills

The set is expanding.

I still think its a very sound long term proposition.

Yeah, I only got the first couple of issues of the ones I listed above. No Doctor Manhattan, no Rorschach, no Dollar Bill, no Moloch. But I'd happily give the others a read. Expect I'll just mine the dollar bills when the opportunity comes.

Sound long term proposition seems like a bit of a stretch if you're talking about making money down the line though.

I meant Dollar Bill - why I wrote Buffalo, i have no idea!

Brain Fart - i'm wide open guys!

Seriously - I think a complete set of 1st issue #1's down the track - whenever the whole set is released - will do OK.

I'm like into this in a tiny way - I got ten x each #1.

If its good - then its good.

if not, then they are freebies to sweeten a deal.

Buffalo Bills - FFS - dementia already? lol

I groaned when I heard the announcement for Before Watchmen, thinking this is obviously DC milking one of their yet-untouched mines. But then when Darwyn Cooke got attached I knew I would have to read it eventually. I'm holding out for the trades, and I'll probably get them all. Everything I've seen on them so far has me excited to read them.

I'm just glad that Neil Gaiman hasn't lost his nut and agreed to do "Before Sandman." I would hate to see that written by Chuck Austen.

I groaned when I heard the announcement for Before Watchmen, thinking this is obviously DC milking one of their yet-untouched mines. But then when Darwyn Cooke got attached I knew I would have to read it eventually. I'm holding out for the trades, and I'll probably get them all. Everything I've seen on them so far has me excited to read them.

I'm just glad that Neil Gaiman hasn't lost his nut and agreed to do "Before Sandman." I would hate to see that written by Chuck Austen.

lol

Just finished the Silk Spectre and rather enjoyed the four book series.

Can't wait to read the new ones that came out this week, but my daughter and wife bought them for me for Christmas. So I have to wait until then.