• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minimum collecting grade

29 posts in this topic

I assign a price point for what I am willing to spend on a book in comparison to what I believe an excellent deal would be for a book that is slightly higher.

For example...

I originally placed a WTB ad on the boards for Amazing Spider-man 24.

Based upon prior sales I knew what I felt comfortable buying the book for.

I advertised that I was looking for copies in the 8.0-8.5 range

I was offered by two different people copies that were 9.4

The book in 9.4 commands a price that I do not feel comfortable paying

I was directed towards a listing for a 9.0

Even though it was higher than what I was looking for I paid a price that I had previously spent on Amazing Spider-man 22 in an 8.5 (which was the avg price)

So basically I took the 9.0 at a very slightly higher price than I would an 8.5.

It boils down to a judgement call and what you feel comfortable spending on a specific book based upon the money that you have laying around.

Best of luck though in your purchases.

As the saying goes, buy the book and not the label. You can find some ugly 8.0s and pretty 6.0s, it really just depends on the book. Buy copies you like, whatever the label says in the left corner, and you'll always be happy with them.
For vintage comics, a certain amount of wear and tear feels right and acceptable. For newer comics, the same amount of wear would be pointless, since better copies are available.

Most of us have our own sense of what qualities are key in the way a comic presents itself - number of spine breaks, number of color-breaking creases, tears or no tears, etc. The things that lower the official grade may not bother you so much.

I mean seriously, what am I gonna do with that Marvel Value Stamp anyway? :P

You have to match your pocket book with your collecting needs.

Would you rather have--

100 2.0 books or 50 4.0 books or 33 6.0 books or 16 7.5 books or 12 8.0 books or 6 9.2 books or 4 9.4 books or 2 9.6 books or 1 9.8 book? (my numbers are pulled out of air as an example)

Some people like to collect runs, and they stretch their budget by buying lower grades. Some people on the same budget save up for one higher grade book because they don't like the lower grade books. It's all personal.

For run of the mill SA Marvels, I like to target nice 6.0's. A 6.0 is actually a pretty nice book, for a price that is quite reasonable. However, I have lots of lower and higher grade books in my collection. I also have a fair number of CGC 7.5's with OW-W pages, because they are pretty nice looking books and the price jump from 7.5 to 8.0 is usually pretty dramatic. My FF 48-50 are all 7.5 OW-W. I also end up with a lot of lower grade books, because I find really good deals on them, and I like to fill runs. I bought a 2.0 Thor 131 out of a dollar box recently. I'd prefer a 6.0 of that book, but at that price point I'm happy to add it to my collection. I've crossed that book off my want list. I probably won't ever upgrade it, because I'd rather buy a comic I don't have than one I do.

You have to decide what you want your collection to look like and go from there.

Old timer here.

I got involved in collecting comics because of the stories. Couldn't go the library and pull Fantastic Four 1 thru 40 out and read them back in the day, so you chased copies to READ.

My mindset is still on the stories. A nice presenting G-VG with a tight spine is fine for me, after all, I'm going to pull that sucka out of the box and read it now and then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to stick away a nice 6.0 or 8.5 in the collection if a bargain falls in my lap, but reader copies are just dandy by me.

If you step back from Silver to Gold, a complete G- will do the trick for me, just as long as it's not brittle.

It's all about the stories and the art....for me.