• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minimum collecting grade

29 posts in this topic

I've started collecting raw SA Marvel comics and am trying to figure out what grades to focus on. Ideally I would want really high grade comics, but just can't afford them. I've started focusing on Fine up to Very Fine. Does Fine seem like a good minimum grade to have when collecting these comics, or should I even go lower or higher? Going lower opens up a lot more comics in my price range, but some look pretty beat up. Going higher, say having Very Fine as a minimum, would limit my buying, but maybe would be good investment in long term to have higher graded collection.

Any thoughts?

As the saying goes, buy the book and not the label. You can find some ugly 8.0s and pretty 6.0s, it really just depends on the book. Buy copies you like, whatever the label says in the left corner, and you'll always be happy with them.

As the saying goes, buy the book and not the label. You can find some ugly 8.0s and pretty 6.0s, it really just depends on the book. Buy copies you like, whatever the label says in the left corner, and you'll always be happy with them.

Spot on Brother!

I've started collecting raw SA Marvel comics and am trying to figure out what grades to focus on. Ideally I would want really high grade comics, but just can't afford them. I've started focusing on Fine up to Very Fine. Does Fine seem like a good minimum grade to have when collecting these comics, or should I even go lower or higher? Going lower opens up a lot more comics in my price range, but some look pretty beat up. Going higher, say having Very Fine as a minimum, would limit my buying, but maybe would be good investment in long term to have higher graded collection.

Any thoughts?

I would not be concerned about the investment angle.

Very difficult to make any money on non key midgrade books.

I'm in the same boat and look for books in the 7.0 to 9.0 range for my collection.

Completely agree. I've had 4.0s I would buy all day and 7.5s I would walk away from. Totally depends on the book.

I have a hard time going below 2-2.5 and tend to like 4.0 and higher. Especially for early silver Marvel.

When I can score a nice 6.5 or better at a good price, I am generally very happy. I would say the bulk of my silver collection is 4-5.5 with about 10% below that and 25-30% above that.

If you're buying strictly for the joy of collecting, buy the best looking books you can afford, regardless of the number grade. If you're thinking about the books as a possible investment, I'd be wary of buying any non-key books that are not high grade.

Mine is 9.2; for books up until 1973. Between 1973 and 1975 it is 9.4. After 1975; depending on the book 9.6-9.8+

Copper age and moderns; besides a few notable keys (like TMNT #1) would all have to be 9.8 or higher.

Don't let my OCD issues impact your collecting goals. I am generally very 'obsessive' when it comes to my personal collections.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I pretty much only buy key books,so I'm in the mindset of buying well presenting books instead of uber high grade.Mostly because I can't afford the uber grades.I try to stay in the 3.5-5.0 for big key books from 1959-1964,and 7.0-9.2 for 1965-1971,9.0-9.6 for anything later.That's my comfort zone.

Buy anything you think presents nice. As long as you like how the books looks...you cant go wrong. I never got caught up in the high grades. (9.6 9.8) Or the peds. I think the jumps from 9.4 to 9.6 to 9.8 in price is insane....for so little change in the book its crazy. 2c And the peds (shrug) If the book that is a ped...was not in the CGC holder telling you its from such and such collection...how would you know its a ped. I bought comics years back that came with certs thats its from so and so collection...I think I threw the certs away. Was not really interested. again my 2c

The answer depends on what you mean by "collecting."

Are you the type of person who might change focus?

Are you buying to hold or buying to eventually re-sell?

Are you comfortable with a near-0% appreciation rate?

If you're starting to collect SA Marvel books, the sheer glut of copies available at any given time will keep your prices stable or even suppressed unless you're getting Key books - real Keys, not the first appearance of Prof. Milo or the first Daredevil crossover or the death of Capt. Stacy & etc - in the highest grades possible. 9.4 copies of ASM non-keys are not going to grow much in value beyond the Ditko issues and unless there's another wave of ohmygodtheyremakingaMOVIEaboutthisguy hype, 9.4 copies of most Marvel SA books are going to stay pretty level.

If you're buying from an investment standpoint, the smartest thing to do is get the most Key book possible in the highest grade you can. FF1, Hulk 1, JIM83, TOS 39, AF15, Avengers 1, etc will almost always appreciate beyond the rest of the market.

But if you're buying because you want to collect nice copies of SA Marvels, then VF is your huckleberry. Of course, this is also dependent upon your personal preference regarding flaws. A dime-sized stain on the back cover of an other wise nm- book will kill the CGC grade, but that same book will look fantastic in a Mylite2 & Fullback

The answer depends on what you mean by "collecting."

Are you the type of person who might change focus?

Are you buying to hold or buying to eventually re-sell?

Are you comfortable with a near-0% appreciation rate?

If you're starting to collect SA Marvel books, the sheer glut of copies available at any given time will keep your prices stable or even suppressed unless you're getting Key books - real Keys, not the first appearance of Prof. Milo or the first Daredevil crossover or the death of Capt. Stacy & etc - in the highest grades possible. 9.4 copies of ASM non-keys are not going to grow much in value beyond the Ditko issues and unless there's another wave of ohmygodtheyremakingaMOVIEaboutthisguy hype, 9.4 copies of most Marvel SA books are going to stay pretty level.

If you're buying from an investment standpoint, the smartest thing to do is get the most Key book possible in the highest grade you can. FF1, Hulk 1, JIM83, TOS 39, AF15, Avengers 1, etc will almost always appreciate beyond the rest of the market.

But if you're buying because you want to collect nice copies of SA Marvels, then VF is your huckleberry. Of course, this is also dependent upon your personal preference regarding flaws. A dime-sized stain on the back cover of an other wise nm- book will kill the CGC grade, but that same book will look fantastic in a Mylite2 & Fullback

Also really good advice.

It's my huckleberry, too.

I like my old books to look old, but not shabby. 4 - 6 is my thing. In this range the early sixties stuff has a patina and charm all of they're own and which, IMHO, actually makes them nicer to own than higher grades.

However if I won the euro Millions I would have two copies of everything.

One supersonic hugh CGC slab grade for dark room investment and one in my sweet spot grade range to assalt my senses occasionally by carefully, handling, smelling, and heaven forbid actually reading.

I don't think there is a wrong way to collect comics and no minimum grade. As everyone on here says, Collect and buy what you like.

Investing in comics is another thing.