• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000th post - something different

14 posts in this topic

couldn't decide what to post for #1000, so i decided that something different was in order.

here are 2 restored GA classics that i bought a week apart, a little less than 2 years ago when i got back into the hobby.

the Tec #33 is famous for having both the first published Origin of Batman, as well as him packing "heat" on the cover. from november 1939......CGC 7.5 with slight professional restoration.

1086223268833_Tec_33_and_marvel_4.jpg

the marvel mystery comic #4 from february 1940 was only the 4th Marvel comic and the 1st cover appearance of the Submariner.........CGC graded 8.0 with extensive professional restoration.

1087557267319_Tec_33_and_marvel_4_001.jpg

these two guide unrestored at approx $23,000 and $8,000 respectively. would some of you GA experts hazard a guess as to their current value?? i love these classic GA restored books. i have another 4-5 and it's the only way i could afford them grin.gif

i love these classic GA restored books. i have another 4-5 and it's the only way i could afford them

You keep selling FF 11 9.4s at $10K a pop, and you should be able to afford darn near anything you want soon enough. wink.gif

Tec #33 is famous for having both the first published Origin of Batman, as well as him packing "heat" on the cover.

How do you know he's packing heat? Maybe his mother told him to never run with scissors... laugh.gif

Who's the cover artist on Marvel Mystery #4?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Tec #33 is famous for having both the first published Origin of Batman, as well as him packing "heat" on the cover.

How do you know he's packing heat? Maybe his mother told him to never run with scissors... laugh.gif

Who's the cover artist on Marvel Mystery #4?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

MM#4 was a schomburg cover and it's almost a subtle beauty compared to some of his later classic "busy" covers. as late as last year it was touted as having been the first cover to portray the german swastika, but that's been revised in this years priceguide to Top Notch #2 which came out a month earlier.

are you suggesting that bat's is carrying a scissor case on his utility belt in that picture?? 893whatthe.gif

MM#4 was a schomburg cover and it's almost a subtle beauty compared to some of his later classic "busy" covers.

Yes, I like that less busy look quite a lot more, and wasn't sure that it was Schomburg.

are you suggesting that bat's is carrying a scissor case on his utility belt in that picture?? 893whatthe.gif

Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not.

smirk.gif

I noticed that Subby hasn't got his "ankle-wings" on the cover of MM #4.

What year did he earn his wings? Or were they just omitted on this cover?

nice catch - he's wearing them on my torch #3 (#2) from the winter (december?) of 1940, so he must have "won" them in between!!

only kidding as he had them in his debut in motion pictures funnies weekly (later reprinted in marvel comics #1). so the cover is in error...............