• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

James Jean: Spin Magazine - Kurt Cobain / Metallica

6 posts in this topic

This is a very special piece that I regretfully must let go. Asking $1200 $1000.

USPS Shipping included.

lllustration for a Chuck Klosterman article about Nirvana's ascendance in the early 90s. Published in Spin Magazine (4/2004). 6x8 drawing.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=681927&GSub=62282

Fantastic piece! (worship)

Thanks Steve. Big fan of the two bands...music climate in '91 really molded my way of playing the guitar. I also remember clearly how Nirvana and all the other bands who were nicely packaged by the corp labels as "Seattle grudge" took over while the 80s bands (largely for the better) were booted off stage so to speak. Good times! However, I don't think this drawing is all that accurate if we were to juxtapose Metallica and Nirvana success in 1991. I think that of all the bands who enjoyed 80s success, Metallica was the one who was least affected by the change in the rock music scene. In fact, Metallica's black album whether you like it or not, is their most financially successful album because they attracted a much wider audience with their more pop-oriented tunes - black album tour lasted for over 3 years straight due to demand! Maybe the author should have compared nirvana to 80s hair bands in general rather than Metallica. my 2 cents.