• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL NOW: Here comes the Marvel Relaunch

141 posts in this topic

Ah...yeah, no offense but I think your prediction may be off a bit. ;)

This is definitely going to be huge because WD is already a huge book and all those regular readers want all the variant covers, not to mention the fact that the 1:200 cover has become a serious chase item for collectors.

Just look at the thread where Gator is pre ordering this set for boardies, he had a huge uptake for his offer on these.

For Gator's pre-ordering, people were chasing the variant not the story, without the variant would this issue really be a 350K book?

Things I want Marvel to stop doing:

1. lame numbering 10.1, 9.1, etc. AND 19----20---300---301---22. STOP IT!!!

2. Changing a continuous title to someone elses because they did a guest appearance. The Incredible Hulk/Hercules, Thor is now Journey into Mystery/Loki's book and of course the reason they do it...

3. New number 1 every year. Can put out a new Thor #1 since we changed his old book to Loki

4. more than 2 titles of a character.

5. Huge multi book crossoverextravaganza. Very tired of it

6. Misleading covers. I looked at one of the books in this lame Xmen vs Avengers thing they have going that shows the Thing fighting Colossus/Juggernaut...guess what? They don't meet at all in the book.

7. variant covers. I look at the comic shelf at the LCS and see what I think is a new book because I have no idea if I bought this issue due to 10.1 and 19-300-301-22 BS

I've got the answer to all their problems.

Lets have every comic that comes out a #1.

Every month #1 no other number. Don't go any further. Just #1.

That way every comic that comes out thats ever printed from now on is a collectible item.

Ya thats the ticket! :devil:

DC Did it better when they just started everything over. New continuity, new rules, New everything.

I dont think I will start ordering marvel books again anytime soon

You mean the new 52? It's just terrible apart from a few titles.

But if you're going to do a relaunch this is the way to do it..

Clear the table and start all over

But DC didn't do that...

They did a haphazard partial kind of sort of reboot. Leaving readers confused as to what happened or what didn't happen. That's why i stopped reading their titles.

When you reboot everything but Batman & Green Lantern titles it leads to a lot of confusion as to what happened or didn't happen, especially in a shared universe. They should have rebooted everything.

This is definitely going to be huge because WD is already a huge book and all those regular readers want all the variant covers, not to mention the fact that the 1:200 cover has become a serious chase item for collectors.

Just look at the thread where Gator is pre ordering this set for boardies, he had a huge uptake for his offer on these.

For Gator's pre-ordering, people were chasing the variant not the story, without the variant would this issue really be a 350K book?

Simple, no.

But that's what modern comics have to do to get high sales. Variant covers, renumberings, reboots, short lived character deaths and more variant covers.

No, but I was talking about sales and sales only, as my post made fairly clear I thought.

Things I want Marvel to stop doing:

1. lame numbering 10.1, 9.1, etc. AND 19----20---300---301---22. STOP IT!!!

2. Changing a continuous title to someone elses because they did a guest appearance. The Incredible Hulk/Hercules, Thor is now Journey into Mystery/Loki's book and of course the reason they do it...

3. New number 1 every year. Can put out a new Thor #1 since we changed his old book to Loki

4. more than 2 titles of a character.

5. Huge multi book crossoverextravaganza. Very tired of it

6. Misleading covers. I looked at one of the books in this lame Xmen vs Avengers thing they have going that shows the Thing fighting Colossus/Juggernaut...guess what? They don't meet at all in the book.

7. variant covers. I look at the comic shelf at the LCS and see what I think is a new book because I have no idea if I bought this issue due to 10.1 and 19-300-301-22 BS

I agree, but to be fair, they've been doing number 6 for ever.

That way every comic that comes out thats ever printed from now on is a collectible item.

Don't tempt them.

Well, that means issues #1-#19 will be the last 'paper' 'Captain America's that I'll be buying. I'll bind #1-#19, and as of #20; I'll be going digital for 'Captain America' and get them from Comixology. I can not begin to explain how much I loath John Romita JR's art.

I'm with you there 100%. I will not buy a book he's on; I don't care how much I like the character or the writer.

For the life of me, can't understand why anyone buys new comics anymore... they've ripped the heart out of it.

Was it Barry Smith who came up with the name Condo of Concept in lieu of The House of Ideas? Or did BWS come up with the other name " House of Idea"?

Either way, it certainly applies :(

Well, that means issues #1-#19 will be the last 'paper' 'Captain America's that I'll be buying. I'll bind #1-#19, and as of #20; I'll be going digital for 'Captain America' and get them from Comixology. I can not begin to explain how much I loath John Romita JR's art.

I'm with you there 100%. I will not buy a book he's on; I don't care how much I like the character or the writer.

It really is a wrench for me .. 'cos .. y'know .. Cap's been my fave for 35 years now. I gritted my teeth when 'Avengers' #1 came out with JRJR handling art chores, and I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy any aspect of the art on the book while he was drawing it. Lots of wasted £'s on that book .. my fave team-title.

So, here it is ..

JRJRprotest.jpg

The problem with DC's 52 is that it was originally proposed as a solution post-Infinite Crisis. It would've been great had they done their 52 weekly and then ended it with a big bang, with everything starting over.

Instead, they rushed it out the door, with one hand not knowing what the other was doing. All of the creators were left in the dark, not knowing what other creators were doing with the same character. And the editorial input has been the driving factor instead of letting the creators create.

I'm digging 2-3 of the books, but for the most part, it's same ol, same ol.

It really is a wrench for me .. 'cos .. y'know .. Cap's been my fave for 35 years now. I gritted my teeth when 'Avengers' #1 came out with JRJR handling art chores, and I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy any aspect of the art on the book while he was drawing it. Lots of wasted £'s on that book .. my fave team-title.

So, here it is ..

JRJRprotest.jpg

I will give it a chance as Rick Remender has done a great job on X-Force. If the rumors are true and he does write the book I'll pick it up for that reason alone. Brubaker's stories since the most recent #1 have been borderline horrible.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Beat me to it.

:facepalm:

The choice of JR JR to do the art on this book is particularly perverse, given that his work on Cap is even worse than on other characters he has drawn, ie ruined.

For the life of me, can't understand why anyone buys new comics anymore... they've ripped the heart out of it.

I went to an lcs yesterday, and the cheapest comics they had were in the $2.99 to $3.99 range. Why would anybody want to pay that price for a single issue when you can get dvds and books for .50 cents a piece at yard sales or flea markets. ;)

It`s become a joke.

Fwiw, May 2012 (the most recent month for which full data is publicly available) was the best $$$ month in the direct market since 1996.

And unless I miss my guess, next week is going to bring us the best-selling single comic book of the past 16-17 years.

The quality of Marvel's plan remains to be seen, but their timing is excellent. Nobody's quite ready to say it out loud yet, but we're probably in the early days of a (new comics industry) rebound. The numbers from recent months have been pretty promising, and I know some retailers who have been reporting solid monthly gains for even longer.

Although I like to share your optimism Mark. I really feel that

nobody's quite ready to say it out loud yet, but it`s speculators and not new readers who are fueling these sales.

My moneys on its speculators buying the new comics for the quick flip on EBay,and not new readers. IMHO

Nothing wrong with that, but I would love to see what May 2013 sales will be.

I predict that a lot of these new hot comics with their multiple variants and brand new shiny 1s will be in the dollar bins in May 2013. ;)

Nothing lasts forever. Marvel is just another publisher. Eventually, the sparks will fade. In my opinion, as a whole, Marvel has not been a quality publisher in many years. That doesn't mean that there hasn't been quality stories published in many years, but as a whole, their publishing machine has been running out of gas. As their publishing ability is fading, their movie making ability is rising.

Completely agree.

Marvel reeled in industry leader DC in the 60s with fresh ideas and storytelling. It may be Marvel's turn to suffer that fate, as they have become trite and stale.