• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal Comiccon shaping up nicely

25 posts in this topic

For those thinking about going to Montreal I can recommend two things. The nightlife on either rue St Catherine or St Dennis.

Secondly, do not miss, I mean it, Schwartz's deli on St Laurent. They do smoked meat that is worth travelling thousands of miles for. One more tip...order it medium and not lean...only tourists order it lean. You should also think seriously about consuming a large kosher dill with your plate of smoked meat.

The con should be good too...

The banquise is the end all be all for those visiting Montreal. :D

Thanks guys. Think I'll talk the wife into a trip to Montreal. She deserves it :whee:

Not sure if you guys are "foodie" types, but if you're up for treating your wife to a more refined meal if you come to town, you should look at making a reservation at either Garde Manger or Le Bremner in the Old Port, both within walking distance of the con.

The restaurants are both owned/operated by Chuck Hughes, a cool down-to-earth guy who beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef, competed on The Next Iron Chef, and has two series on The Food Network, Chuck's Day Off and Chuck's Week Off. His menus are generally "upscale gastropub", if you will, and pretty much most stuff is ridiculously good. The lobster poutine at Garde Manger is something else.

You would need to call several weeks in advance to guarantee a reservation at Garde Manger on a weekend (it's usually pretty full), but Le Bremner, the "kid sister" restaurant opened more recently, is a bit more flexible and drop-in accessible, from my understanding.

I would also add my voice to those who would love to meet other boardies who may come into town for this!

Whats the wait time like to get inside?

Last year there was a snake of people that went through the convention centre, leading outside...all day long.

Picture a bunch of 15 year old girls trying to catch a glimpse of the Beatles back in the 1960's. It was insane.

I don't think they expected as many people as showed up but they have been doing a great job promoting it.

The problem was that there was only one bottle neck entrance, which was a flight of stairs up to the convention floor.

Hopefully, with the new venue they fix that problem.

:wishluck:

Whats the wait time like to get inside?

Last year there was a snake of people that went through the convention centre, leading outside...all day long.

Picture a bunch of 15 year old girls trying to catch a glimpse of the Beatles back in the 1960's. It was insane.

I don't think they expected as many people as showed up but they have been doing a great job promoting it.

The problem was that there was only one bottle neck entrance, which was a flight of stairs up to the convention floor.

Hopefully, with the new venue they fix that problem.

:wishluck:

Yeah, I think last year they had as many people show up Saturday morning that they were expecting all weekend. It was one of the reasons for a change of venue.

I'm really excited for this show, and the new convention hall is really nice. It's always a great time.