• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back again with CGG (along with CGC)

458 posts in this topic

I was gonna let that slide RS.. but since you brought it up..

Deathlok.. its

and so on.

hi.gifhi.gif

But I assume he didnt count it towards the final count since it was related to the first hit..

I was gonna let that slide RS.. but since you brought it up..

Deathlok.. its

and so on.

hi.gifhi.gif

But I assume he didnt count it towards the final count since it was related to the first hit..

confused.gif

flowerred.gif

No worries Death... I dont think we need to spend another second on a Google search thread...

Just couldnt resisit RS's post when he circled the second listing on your Google search.. .. when you said CGGroup was listed second... when it was actually third.

Please someone get out the Dead horse emoticon...

Oh well..

This ceased to be fun awhile ago..

Sorry for the mis interpretation of R.S.'s post..

I was just kiddin round. flowerred.gif

C ya..

Z

I believe RS was alluding to the text, which points to someone who uses CGG exclusively. As if his opinion matters.

thumbsup2.gif

A auction web site.

CGGBanner.jpg

529833-Image001.gif

And as for it being 9 or 10 items down on the list..(over the next few years?)

What would you place ahead of it.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Restoration experts, thats 1 item?

Then what?

Form a business partnership with an established certification company in another hobby (this should be priority 1), severely underbid CGC on Wizard First to get the contract (I have to wonder if that's what prompted CGC to finally sign that deal after so many years of not going for the Wizard partnership), advertise in major comics information channels (have they advertised in Overstreet or Wizard yet? confused-smiley-013.gif ), create product features beyond what CGC has currently offered (grading subcategories, grading notes on the label or printed and sent out with every slab, etc), either get rid of the PVC or site specific, credible sources which contradicts the LoC opinion, take a page from the Borock book that it's better to say nothing at all than to continue publicly commenting on issues which end up just making them look like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons when they're unable to address them fully (such as the manipulated scans, restored books, etc), start hitting the major comics shows, do more to convince us they grade just as well if not better than CGC such as by doing what CGC hasn't explicitly done and write up some grading standards

Another take on the website thing.......there is no faster way of updated information on your company and getting it out there than by regularly adding new content to your site. A nice looking site will keep peoplle coming back.

Another take on the website thing.......there is no faster way of updated information on your company and getting it out there than by regularly adding new content to your site. A nice looking site will keep peoplle coming back.

It's one of the factors certainly, but for anything beyond brochureware where the only goal is serving information and doing a little branding, a more important factor is the overall user experience of which look and feel is just a component. Google won the search engine race and turned themselves into a verb not because of their stunning graphic design, but because they were 5-10x faster loading than Altavista et al. and returned better results.

It's one of the factors certainly, but for anything beyond brochureware where the only goal is serving information and doing a little branding, a more important factor is the overall user experience of which look and feel is just a component. Google won the search engine race and turned themselves into a verb not because of their stunning graphic design, but because they were 5-10x faster loading than Altavista et al. and returned better results.

I know nothing about website design (but that's never stopped me from commenting)....I tend to agree w/ Rob on this one. A nice looking site is great, but ease of use is more important.

The Dell' Otto website comes to mind. Visually stunning, but such a hassle (especially on dial-up).

You don't really need to prove anything here. To be honest, I don't really care what you guys end up doing. If the site is good and usable and makes a lot of money, that's great. 893applaud-thumb.gif If it doesn't it'll just be another bad site. frown.gif

This is just a topic I know pretty well since I've spent years designing and building everything from transactional web applications to the cheesiest brochureware web sites and I'm just sharing my knowledge and experience in an evangelical sort of way. Sometimes when the opportunity for me to share research based knowledge on the way people use the web I just can't help myself. Even though I know, again from years of experience, that most people don't want to hear it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I do have to ask... Are you really under the impression that that file is the "same size" as the header graphic? It may be the same dimensions, but at 694 bytes it's certainly not the same size in terms of "weight"/ bandwidth. Not even close. A logo with feathered drop shadows, gradients and all that isn't going to compress down to the same size as 1 color gif. It's just impossible based on the color depth alone.

OTOH, we have not heard from a single person here who had ever heard of any of the CGG guys before the Great April Fools Day Joke, and there are boodles of West Coasters on the board, including several from the Northwest. Why didn't anyone know them?

Given their proximities, I'd wager that the CGG staff was at one point or another, weekly pull subscribers at Lighthouse's store! shocked.gif

Staggering in with a head full of fog, I haven't finished this thread yet (and apparently neither has anyone else, since it refuses to die) but I felt the need to address this piece of libel... tongue.gif

I have heard from several local comic guys that the Three Stooges at CGG were all customers of Darrell Grimes' shops in Eugene. Darrell was one of the first comics-only shop owners in North America, converting his head shop to a comic shop in 1973. Darrell's a pretty good guy, although the scuttlebutt has him as a financial backer of CGG which may or may not be working out for him. Darrell's pockets are deep, so who knows... confused-smiley-013.gif