• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First submission back from CGC

7 posts in this topic

Submitted my first books back at C2E2...did I get my money's worth?

So, about 3 months ago, I submitted my first submission ever to CGC: Ultimate Spider-Man #160 1:100 variant and Saga #1.

After months of waiting, they finally came in!

P1050378.jpg

While I was hoping for beginner's luck and scoring a 9.9 or 10.0 on this one, 9.8 was more than fair considering I'd originally had to buy the book off eBay and never got to see it prior to purchase.

P1050377.jpg

This one I was extremely happy with as I thought it'd come back as a 9.4 or 9.6, so a 9.8 made me a bit giddy.

All in all, with the exception of the 20 day turn around that turned into 3 months, I was actually pleased with these. I have one more set coming from the Geoff Johns' signing at the DC booth that week that I'm waiting on. Hopefully those will turn out to be as good, if not better.

Needless to say, I'm hooked and addicted. I do realize I'm going to have to set some guidelines/goals from my CGC collection or else I'll buy way more than I should.

Happy hunting.

See more journals by RelicHunter

Hey Guys,

I keep 2 full boxes for future autographs. It is only high grade books and key issues on top of that. This way I am ready for Jim Lee, or Todd McFarlane when they show up somewhere. I also just sent out 4 Watchmen 1's for Dave Gibbons to sign. I will keep the one with the highest grade so maybe one day I can get Alan Moore to sign it also. XCinX, this might be the way to go for you. I have noticed that there are a few companies that will get your books signed and graded by all different creators. At first I thought it would cost too much on something I could do myself but quickly realized that the premium they charged was small and usually did not add up to the price of the show and the time it would take to get it done myself. The Dave Gibbons for instance is in Ca and I am in NJ so it would have cost a fortune to get down there.

I was going to get my Ultimate just graded, but a nearby convention had Stan Lee and I really wanted my kiddos to meet him. So the book I was going to get graded (Spider-man 1 Platinum edition) I gave to my oldest instead and used this one as my copy to get signed.

As far as eBay, it is tough to gauge what you get and if the person is even being truthful. I'll give the 2 tenths difference on what the seller thought the Ultimate book was Vs. what the CGC graded it as. However the condition of Spider-man Platinum was far from NM to better. Far cry from the 8.5 it got (with the signature). I'm no pro at grading books, but you could see that the book was not the condition the seller was preaching.

Hey Guys,

I keep 2 full boxes for future autographs. It is only high grade books and key issues on top of that. This way I am ready for Jim Lee, or Todd McFarlane when they show up somewhere. I also just sent out 4 Watchmen 1's for Dave Gibbons to sign. I will keep the one with the highest grade so maybe one day I can get Alan Moore to sign it also. XCinX, this might be the way to go for you. I have noticed that there are a few companies that will get your books signed and graded by all different creators. At first I thought it would cost too much on something I could do myself but quickly realized that the premium they charged was small and usually did not add up to the price of the show and the time it would take to get it done myself. The Dave Gibbons for instance is in Ca and I am in NJ so it would have cost a fortune to get down there.

I'll have to look into that. I have a couple books that I've been holding on to in the hopes that a guest would be at the show. What kills me is that Mighty Thor #1 (with the Chris Helmsworth photo variant) didn't launch until after C2E2 last year when I got to meet him and got a photo/autograph with him. That'd be an awesome book to have in the collection.

Like I said though, I still have another set coming from the Geoff Johns' signing. Nothing classic mind you, because I completely forgot he was going to be there and left my books for him at home. I had to rush to buy a couple books while my brother held my place in line. Did get an sig on a first print of Aquaman #1, though, so happy there!

Submitted my first books back at C2E2...did I get my money's worth?

So, about 3 months ago, I submitted my first submission ever to CGC: Ultimate Spider-Man #160 1:100 variant and Saga #1.

After months of waiting, they finally came in!

P1050378.jpg

I soooo love this book. Im always keeping an eye out for one. Its just such an iconic image.