• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 15 and some 'fishy'...

25 posts in this topic

Tape is amateur restoration to me, and I always bid accordingly. Definitely CGCs biggest mistake when they made their definition of grading.

If only there was some way to correct a mistake. If only...

I'm sorry if it has been discussed before but why is glue considered resto and tape is not?

Because with tape, the adhesive has plastic stuck to it. See how smart CGC is?

They are loosing legitimacy by the hour (thumbs u

It's been that way from the beginning. It is certainly easy to disagree with, especially when you tape a loose cover back on a book and get a higher grade than with the cover loose, however, it's not a change of direction.

Sometimes there is tape on a book that is really doing nothing, I can see that being noted and getting a blue label. Tape that is doing anything structurally should be treated just like any other adhesive, regardless of whether it's archival tape or scotch tape.

Problem is what do you do with all the books floating around in blue labels where the cover has been taped back on? Nothing can be done.

The only fix possible is CGC coming out with a new label color for Universal after a certain date, and changing their standards in the process. I think they could do this, there would be squawking of course, but if it fixed some problems most people would be happy. Bundle it with a few other innovations (maybe an actual "guarantee" of something) and it would be big. Red was already done away with, so that's out. Gold has a nice sound to it. Plus CGC distances themselves from PGX more in the process of going away from Blue.