• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodbye Mr. Goodbar

117 posts in this topic

The problem with phone verification is it's time consuming and I doubt CGC has the staff they can spare.

Sharon, there are automated scripts that have been in existence for some time that handle this process. There is little to no human involvement.

As part of the registration process, there is a confirmation link sent to that persons address. When the registrant clicks the confirmation link from their email, it takes them to a form which asks them to enter a telephone number, and a checkbox which asks if they want to receive a call or text.

Whether its a phone call or text, it's simply a voice-automated call or text message containing an alphanumeric code which the registrant enters into the final steps of the registration process. Some of the more advanced scripts have become more adept in refusing IP phone numbers which may be anonymized.

The only way to complete the registration process is to get that code via phone/text. Providing a bogus number of course will get you nowhere.

Keeping themselves slippery and untraceable is something these malcontents wear like a badge of honour, and the acts they commit become nothing more than a onemanupship contest to demonstrate to everyone they can't be stopped.

I understand, Joseph...it's a game...That's why I think you need a credit card and a street address. We had access to the Social Security Verification system, so it was easier, and people still got by the system, but snail mail verification combined with other checks, make it tough to slip by

I think software automation to check an email address (not a public email account) and maybe a credit card is enough. I'm all for trying the simple solutions first and seeing if it can reduce the number of less-than-serious individuals and trolls.

It's a sad comment on Trippy's importance to the boards, that more folks here are concerned about Richard Gere... or the disappearance of a candy bar. lol

[font:Book Antiqua]What make you think it’s going to be different,

when you, me, or any other member

get banned or disappear...?

(shrug)

Ps. Greggy is an exception...[/font]

:sumo:

It's a sad comment on Trippy's importance to the boards, that more folks here are concerned about Richard Gere... or the disappearance of a candy bar. lol

(shrug)

Probably not much. This place tends to be cliquish. I'm sure for some who leave, there will be a few expressing regret like "he will be missed...", etc. In Skippy's case, the opposite is unanimous. In fact it looks like a lot of folks don't care, or don't know he's gone. That says something about his positive contribution to the boards or the number of friends he's made while a member.

(shrug)

Probably not much. This place tends to be cliquish. I'm sure for some who leave, there will be a few expressing regret like "he will be missed...", etc. In Skippy's case, the opposite is unanimous. In fact it looks like a lot of folks don't care, or don't know he's gone. That says something about his positive contribution to the boards or the number of friends he's made while a member.

Cliquish? (shrug)

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

clickish? (shrug)

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

Etymologyclique +‎ -ish

Adjectivecliquish (comparative more cliquish, superlative most cliquish)

of or pertaining to a clique

tending to associate with a small and exclusive group

Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=cliquish&oldid=16616145"

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

clickish? (shrug)

Hey Andy I just finished re reading your war report in last years OS guide.You are the man when it comes to war books. :headbang:

You know what I've always wondered... and fully believe is going on right now?

That guys like Trippy are probably so entrenched in the boards under two or three other board names originating from their mom's (or grandmom's) computer... that he's probably joining in on his own bashing right now and we don't even know it.

Yeah that trippy guy sure was lousy.

hm

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

clickish? (shrug)

Hey Andy I just finished re reading your war report in last years OS guide.You are the man when it comes to war books. :headbang:

Just one of the contributors. :hi: It is an honour, though. (thumbs u

I bought the new OSPG today, and looking forward to reading the latest report.

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

clickish? (shrug)

Just one of the contributors. :hi: It is an honour, though. (thumbs u

I bought the new OSPG today, and looking forward to reading the latest report.

Can't wait to get it,it's my favorite part of the OS guide.

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

clickish? (shrug)

Quicheish :gossip:

(shrug)

Cliquish? (shrug)

clickish? (shrug)

Quicheish :gossip:

:roflmao:

The problem with phone verification is it's time consuming and I doubt CGC has the staff they can spare.

Sharon, there are automated scripts that have been in existence for some time that handle this process. There is little to no human involvement.

As part of the registration process, there is a confirmation link sent to that persons address. When the registrant clicks the confirmation link from their email, it takes them to a form which asks them to enter a telephone number, and a checkbox which asks if they want to receive a call or text.

Whether its a phone call or text, it's simply a voice-automated call or text message containing an alphanumeric code which the registrant enters into the final steps of the registration process. Some of the more advanced scripts have become more adept in refusing IP phone numbers which may be anonymized.

The only way to complete the registration process is to get that code via phone/text. Providing a bogus number of course will get you nowhere.

Keeping themselves slippery and untraceable is something these malcontents wear like a badge of honour, and the acts they commit become nothing more than a onemanupship contest to demonstrate to everyone they can't be stopped.

I understand, Joseph...it's a game...That's why I think you need a credit card and a street address. We had access to the Social Security Verification system, so it was easier, and people still got by the system, but snail mail verification combined with other checks, make it tough to slip by

I think software automation to check an email address (not a public email account) and maybe a credit card is enough. I'm all for trying the simple solutions first and seeing if it can reduce the number of less-than-serious individuals and trolls.

Credit cards are a fairly reliable method of verifying a persons identity and address. However the only way I know of doing this at the moment is for the organization to have a merchant account, and that would mean a monthly financial commitment. I'm not aware of any alternative system to do a check on whether the credit card matches the individual's name/address being used for sign-up. Of course there are also potential liability issues should one of the alternatives be to keep a record of that credit card for verification.

Credit cards are a fairly reliable method of verifying a persons identity and address. However the only way I know of doing this at the moment is for the organization to have a merchant account, and that would mean a monthly financial commitment. I'm not aware of any alternative system to do a check on whether the credit card matches the individual's name/address being used for sign-up. Of course there are also potential liability issues should one of the alternatives be to keep a record of that credit card for verification.

I suggested the credit card, to pay for CGC's time...and as an extra step. Snail mail verification would be the most accurate. Email addresses are a dime a dozen ( it's difficult to tell which are free and which are tied to an ISP, I know I still have my AOL account, but have not paid for it in years) and people have more than 1 phone in the house ...I think we have 4 between the 2 of us...but most people only have one address, and if you aren't there to get the letter and return it, it makes life simple.. I just couldn't see having volunteers doing that...but , snail mail could easily be generated from a simple program at CGC. They'd still need a waiting period, credit cards certainly are not a must..

Personally, I'd like everyone's email account to be visible in their profiles. It would at least increase the number of eyeballs within the community and provide a way for those that chose so to be vigilant about new members or recognise patterns that might not be easily seen by the admins or mods

The problem with publishing personal emails is they are targets for spammers and spambots.