• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiction House - the fugitive kind

120 posts in this topic

FightComics3260.jpg

Great thread, thanks for starting it and sharing these books.

This Fight 32 is a perfect example of why I asked the question about proper colors. I had no idea the background was supposed to be red. Every copy I've seen has been orange, including the copy I had a couple of years ago.

It's great to see these books. And frustrating. I guess only collecting copies with "proper" colors is too lofty of a goal.

Worth adding that - so far as I am aware - 1950's issues and titles do not seem to have had the same production kinks, or at least not to the same extent.

GhostComics675.jpg

GhostComics780.jpg

GhostComics1075.jpg

I think there might be examples with deeper reds on this one (calling adam strange):

PlanetComics7180.jpg

The look of the covers changes at about the same time that Maurice Whitman takes over the cover illustration - or it might be just before. A much broader color palette is used, and covers are richer, more nuanced. They have a more painterly feel. but they are also harsher, more "fruity".

Personally, I'd be interested to know whether this involved a change in technology, or perhaps a switch to a different print house. It's also possible - at least in my mind, that colors with a chemical base rather than an organic base could have been introduced by science - but I dont know enough about this to say when or whether, so treat that as sheer speculation. The wikipedia entry on Fiction House is relatively brief and makes no reference, but is worth a read anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiction_House

Your Fiction House collection is stunning.

It's nice of you to say so, thank you! But I have to own that it only seems that way because I've posted all together the handful of exceptional copies I've managed to turn up over many years of diligent collecting.

My FH collection is quite average in quality, quantity and range when compared to the likes of cheetah, sacentaur, kelholt, adam strange, skybolt and others. And there are other boardies out there with extensive and, yes, stunning FH collections who dont frequently post what they have....

Worth adding that - so far as I am aware - 1950's issues and titles do not seem to have had the same production kinks, or at least not to the same extent.

The look of the covers changes at about the same time that Maurice Whitman takes over the cover illustration - or it might be just before. A much broader color palette is used, and covers are richer, more nuanced. They have a more painterly feel. but they are also harsher, more "fruity".

Personally, I'd be interested to know whether this involved a change in technology, or perhaps a switch to a different print house. It's also possible - at least in my mind, that colors with a chemical base rather than an organic base could have been introduced by science - but I dont know enough about this to say when or whether, so treat that as sheer speculation. The wikipedia entry on Fiction House is relatively brief and makes no reference, but is worth a read anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiction_House

I agree, the Whitman cover are generally pretty consistent but nonetheless beautiful.

Firehair1094.jpg

Firehair06.jpg

LongBow5FC.jpg