• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions to color this?

50 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This finally came in. I absolutely love it, but it was supposed to have color and I want to get it there. I'm still learning artists.

I thought of Mike Lilly as a possibility. He's great with color, but I'm wondering how his stylistic impressions would translate on a straight forward, complex piece.

Kirk Dilbeck, an art rep I deal with, recommended someone named Moose Bauman. He doesn't rep him but he offered to refer me, which is cool. I looked at some of his stuff on CAF, and they were all done by computer.

So I'm left with some choices here.

1: Which artist should I use?

2: Have the original ink colored, or keep the inked piece raw and have a copy colored?

3: Have it colored using markers, or digital?

I know this is all personal preference, but I'd still greatly appreciate some opinions on this one.

Thanks!

Untitled.jpg

So I'm left with some choices here.

1: Which artist should I use?

If you go digital your choices are limitless.

2: Have the original ink colored, or keep the inked piece raw and have a copy colored?

Wait, What? You are considering sending this to someone to have them color the original? In this day and age there is absolutely no reason for that. Unless the original artist created the final piece in color I wouldn't let anyone else touch it.

3: Have it colored using markers, or digital?

In any case you will need to get a nice scan of the piece to email to prospective colorists.

Good luck finding someone. :wishluck:

There are plenty of proficient colorists right here on the boards

Thanks, Mister!

So all I need an high resolution scan of the piece? Does the image size need to be 11 x 17 (that's huge for an image file)?

I scan all of my stuff at 300dpi, crop and then resize down to 1500pixels high. That seems to be sufficient for anyone to color it and post to the web.

Thanks, Mister!

So all I need an high resolution scan of the piece? Does the image size need to be 11 x 17 (that's huge for an image file)?

I scan all of my stuff at 300dpi, crop and then resize down to 1500pixels high. That seems to be sufficient for anyone to color it and post to the web.

So would a artist then print the color vision to another 11 x 17 comic board? Or would that be on me?

If you are planning to make a high resolution print of the colored piece, I would not downsample it. Scan at full size, 300 dpi. And there are file formats and methods of loss-less compression that can keep your file size from getting too large. If you just want to post the colored piece on the web, then disregard what I just said, but I don't see the point in paying a colorist unless you want to make a print out of it.

Thanks, Mister!

So would a artist then print the color vision to another 11 x 17 comic board? Or would that be on me?

You'll have to ask them (shrug)

Thanks, Mister!

More than likely they would color the piece digitally and send you the file. From there, you get it printed.

If you are planning to make a high resolution print of the colored piece, I would not downsample it. Scan at full size, 300 dpi. And there are file formats and methods of loss-less compression that can keep your file size from getting too large. If you just want to post the colored piece on the web, then disregard what I just said, but I don't see the point in paying a colorist unless you want to make a print out of it.

Yeah, I would like a color print to hang on my wall. I'm sure once I pick an artist he (or she?) can work with me on what he needs.

Could I get Mike Zeck to color it perhaps?? :o

I've only had one of my pieces colored. It was done digitally by Kyle Chaney. He did it two different ways for the same fee.

Here's the link to my piece: http://cafurl.com?i=13843. The colored versions are in the Additional Images section.

Kyle's e-mail is in the description for the piece.

To get it printed, I simply printed an 8x10 copy at Walgreen's. It was dirt cheap, <$1.

I have considered getting several colorists to try their hand, but there's only so much money. :)

Thanks, Mister!

Leave the scan at 300dpi, 11x17 if you want to print it out. The image won't be that big. You can make it a high quality JPG and it'll probably only be a few MBs.

First, cool illustration.

300 lpi should be fine for printing ( some printers want a larger lpi; around 350 ).

If you want someone to work traditionally, search out a Kinko's. I am lucky in my area, that I have a person working at Kinko's who is a pro at copiers working near me.

You want the best quality as possible, because whoever you go to for digital, will blow this up 2, to 3 times bigger for color break detail.

I shot an email to Mike Zeck.

If he's willing to do it and I can afford it, I'm going to have him color it with his own hand. Being the original Secret Wars 1 cover artist, I have zero problem with him touching the original ink.

You're going to have him color the original inks? :facepalm:

Just glad this piece isn't on my want list

If he's willing to do it and I can afford it, I'm going to have him color it with his own hand. Being the original Secret Wars 1 cover artist, I have zero problem with him touching the original ink.

How could it be? It's a commission.

Yeah, I don't see why you'd want to color over the original. Also, is Zeck known as a colorist?